• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Problem with liquid lamination ClearShield

Ango

Respect for everyone,
I have a strange problem, I use liquid lamination ClearShield to protect color printing the last 7 years working experience, I never happened to lamination itself after dark. It happened that darkens when using strong chemical agents used in car wash service, but in this case the customer insists that the vehicles are washed with regular shampoo.
The question is whether anyone had any experience with this and whether it is possible that the lamination itself darkens? Maybe if the expiry date has passed, or anything else?? :banghead:
Thank you in advance for answers.
Pozz.

Techman

I used clear shield for a short time. I had one print that is old. About 5 yrs old.

I did notice it became a slight yellow tint after a while. Yes a slight darkening.

Ango

I apologize, I know that after 5 years he wants to change, thank you for it anyway, but wraps on these vehicles is older than 3 months to 1 year.
I have many years of experience, but this I do not know that after such a short time itself becomes gray, it confuses me. The customer has 20 vehicles but only 5 changed color lamination. I do not know why ..
I am interested in whether the lamination can by itself change the appearance after 3 months? And why?

Ango

I respect what you think, but I need an answer why this happens in vehicles that were branded before three months and not the cars that are branded 3 years ago and the same process for laminating both vehicles?

Ango

The problem is that the customer claims to maintain the vehicle in person washes ordinary shampoo.
So me and are interested in whether there is any abili it to happen by itself or
customers is lying?
If you had a similar experience I would like to share with me ..

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I don’t think it’s a question of if the customer is lying to you or not, but one of… you basically gave your customer an inferior product. Liquid laminates are rather common knowledge of not being suitable for vehicle wraps or partial wraps.

So, if you’re looking to point fingers…. You did the first wrong and your customer has kept quite about it, unless you never told him you did it wrong. Therefore, his gripe is a legitimate one.

Liquid lams are generally used on flat surfaces and not media which is gonna be pulled and yanked on and then have to hold those positions. Liquid laminate dries hard and even though you might not be able to see it…. You are creating hundreds if not thousands of small fractures and cracks in the laminate and the elements of your region are getting in there and playing havoc with your inks.

Also, you didn’t mention what ink or vinyl you are applying this to. Would you please tell us what inks you are using and what vinyl and grade you are using ??

Ango

Looks like lamination on a vehicle ..

Attachments

• DSC006299.jpg
    DSC006299.jpg
    568.9 KB · Views: 61

Ango

On this picture you can see a little snow, not to be confused ... lamination is gray.

tylercrum

I believe you've been told already that using a liquid laminate for vehicle wraps is the (main) issue. Not much else to be said beyond that...

Ango

Thanks to everyone who expressed their opinion ..
And I think that the main cause of incorrect maintenance of vehicles ..
Thanks again ..

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Thanks to everyone who expressed their opinion ..
And I think that the main cause of incorrect maintenance of vehicles ..
Thanks again ..

Not quite so. It is very hard to take care of something if it was administered or presented improperly.

If someone gave you a pair of shoes made from leather and said they were for year round usage, but failed to tell you to put galoshes on in snow or rain.... you'd probably ruin even a good pair of shoes. Your local cobbler probably couldn't bring them back to life if they were were maintained correctly or not. Your putting on a liquid laminate did virtually..... nothing, towards a wrap usage of vinyl. No matter how much good or bad maintenance was given to these prints of yours.... they don't have a chance other than sometimes it works and most of the time they fail miserably with a liquid laminate.

If your customer is upset, the only professional thing to do, would be to tell him you used the wrong materials and you will indeed do them over. Otherwise, you're basically cheating this customer and any others in which you used this method. Therefore, I'd think long and hard about getting the proper tools and equipment if you want to stay in the vehicle wrap business. Just lam your 4 x 8 rigid stock prints and banners if you want to remain at that level and let the wraps to the more professional shops in your area.
:unclesam: Unless it's a language barrier, these aren't opinions, but mostly facts, set up by the industry as standard.

allamericantrade

To Start
:Welcome:to:signs101:from Long Island NY:wavingflag:

The liquid laminate is flaking off.
And I see pressure washer marks.

Because it is not suitable for wraps. Get a laminator and start using film.

you basically gave your customer an inferior product. Liquid laminates are rather common knowledge of not being suitable for vehicle wraps or partial wraps.

Liquid lams are generally used on flat surfaces and not media which is gonna be pulled and yanked on and then have to hold those positions. Liquid laminate dries hard and even though you might not be able to see it…. You are creating hundreds if not thousands of small fractures and cracks in the laminate and the elements of your region are getting in there and playing havoc with your inks.

I believe you've been told already that using a liquid laminate for vehicle wraps is the (main) issue. Not much else to be said beyond that...

:goodpost: