• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Registering you business name.

showcase 66

I am just curious how many people have registered their business name with the sate you are in. I just registered a new one and when checking up on the local sign guys around here, I noticed a lot of the smaller companies and 2 of the larger ones did not have their names registered with the state. I believe this just protects them from someone from opening another business with the same name.
I am tempted to register one of the business names of a guy who around here will show up while you are doing a job and just bad mouth you until he is blue in the face. Not sure what the ramifications would be if I did that or if I could get in trouble, but I was thinking of doing it and waiting until he pisses me off to send him a siest and desist letter for using "my" registered name.

showcase 66

From what I was reading, in most states you dont HAVE to register a business name, but it protects you from someone else opening another business with the same name in the state. Also you cant file a law suite from your business with out it being registered.

firesignz

Celebrating 10 Years in business
Not much of an option in NY if you are operating legally. Even a DBA has to register within the COUNTY at the very least.

HulkSmash

it's mandatory.

I can go to your state. Open up a business with your name. Register it. Sue you for using my name. Even if i opened it 10 years after you did.

I registered.
Colorado Signs.
Colorado Signs and Graphics.
Colorado Signs and Wraps
Colorado Sign Services.
Signs of Colorado.

I will not be caught with my pants down. It's really cheap only like 20-30 a year for each name. go ahead and do it.

iSign

here you don't have to as a sole proprietor, but have to otherwise (that was true 14 years ago anyway... not sure now)

I like your idea.... after you register his name, then open a bank account in that name too. Here, banks want you registered before they will allow an account in that name, so I'm not sure how a sole prop. gets by anyway....

Locals Find!

I believe in most states you do need to Register your DBA. (Doing Business As) I believe DBA's are a First Come First served item. I know in Florida two Businesses may not have the Same DBA they may have similar but, not identical.

I have registered other Names that are dormant and taken them over. If you don't re-register in Florida they are put up for whoever wants to pay for them. Same with Corporation filings here.

If you were able to register the Name in the same State I would venture to say you would have the legal rights to that name. Since you are then the legal owner and they are not.

Billct2

Regstering at the local and/or state level does not protect you if someone has the name trademarked

showcase 66

To register a business name( Arizona calls it a trademark) it costs $10 for 5 years. I just got off the phone with the secretary of the states office in Phoenix. They do not require you to trademark your name but highly suggest you do. If you are a LLC or INC you dont need to but still can. I asked if I could buy a trademark for a name without a business license and I can.

Not sure if some of you were thinking of just a business license which is different than trademarking a name.

Locals Find!

Regstering at the local and/or state level does not protect you if someone has the name trademarked

Had not thought about Trademark consequences. How would that affect a DBA ? Would the Trademark name have to be registered as a DBA in other states they are conducting business or does that trump state registration regardless of whether or not they are doing business in that state?

Would be interested to know.

HulkSmash

Had not thought about Trademark consequences. How would that affect a DBA ? Would the Trademark name have to be registered as a DBA in other states they are conducting business or does that trump state registration regardless of whether or not they are doing business in that state?

me too

Jillbeans

I think it was $75 to register my bizname with the commonwealth of PA.
Only did it about 5 years ago after someone saw some b!tch driving around in an ugly ass van with Jill's Signs on the side.
Hahahaa
Love...Jill

showcase 66

This is what I was really meant to be asking about instead of just registering the name.

showcase 66

I think it was $75 to register my bizname with the commonwealth of PA.
Only did it about 5 years ago after someone saw some b!tch driving around in an ugly ass van with Jill's Signs on the side.
Hahahaa
Love...Jill

Just curious, Were you driving by any mirrored glass at the time. :ROFLMAO:

JK

SignsonTime

it's mandatory.

I can go to your state. Open up a business with your name. Register it. Sue you for using my name. Even if i opened it 10 years after you did.

I registered.
Colorado Signs.
Colorado Signs and Graphics.
Colorado Signs and Wraps
Colorado Sign Services.
Signs of Colorado.

I will not be caught with my pants down. It's really cheap only like 20-30 a year for each name. go ahead and do it.
I believe in Colorado there can be more than one business with the same name. I lived there for awhile and when I registered my Business that was the case. In Michigan it is different. I think this is more a state to state case.