• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

SAI is GREEDY

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Not a good solution but in the short term can't he get just one copy of flexi and use the production manager on a print server to run all 3 printers?
I am pretty sure flexi can handle more than one printer at the same time.
(just don't ask it to do any bitmap editing)

wayne k
guam usa

Stealth Ryder

Heh Heh, GAC05. Yea it can handle more than one printer at a time, I have done this on many occasions... I just needed to vent a little, just hate to see any hard working individual get the shaft. While I believe that that the LAW will support the purchase of the license and not the software I still believe we need to hold these companies that make the products we use to a little higher standard of operating procedures. I agree with Pat, ransom the keys and pay the price. This will get the keys back and expose the criminals. It really should not have to be that hard or costly given that this guy already owns the license to said software... What a world we live in, huh...

I use Sign Lab & have the dongle. I had someone make me a little program so that my computer thinks the dongle is there. I keep my dongle in the safe. If my computer is stolen I still have my dongle.

Stealth Ryder

WOW, very smart... We should not have to resort to that though I think.... Still, very SMART Sir... The argument is, when you buy a program your are really buying the registration and not a piece of hardware. That is the law as I understand it... I am not a legal expert but I can read and form interpertaions of what I have read. The laws that concern software are pretty clear in my country mind... I formed this opinion after speaking to another friend whom I graduated college with who went on to be a somewhat successful attorney... I think we should all demand protection from criminals, from the folks we turn our hard earn money over to... That is just an opinion from an old guy who has nothing better to do at 9:27 PM at night...

cdiesel

If he's looking at having to buy three copies at $4500 each, he should take the insurance money and buy one copy of Onyx or Caldera. Either of these RIPs will run multiple printers.

Stealth Ryder

Really Good Idea cdiesel, thanks for the input... Only thing is, he already owns the license for 3 versions of Flexi 8.6............................

Graphics2u

I'd be all over the insurance company! Those 3 printers they insure are usless with out the software to run them. They should cover that the same as the printers or the computers it was installed on. And any depreciation they ake should come off the list price, not the 40% off SAi is offering.

Stealth Ryder

If SAi would honor the license, the insurance company would not have to pay this enormous amount of money for something that the guy already owns... This is exactly why insurance is so overpriced.... He owns it and should not have to pay for something he already owns...

Thanks Everyone for all the Wisdom, I am done for the night....

Cheers,

Ryder

briankb

Premium Subscriber
subscribe to lynda.com and start watching the illustrator tutorials then after you buy Onyx or Caldera as cdiesel suggests you can cut SAI off for good.

Stealth Ryder

I don't know... discussions of dongles go back as far as I've been on forums & the dongle is where your money is. Protect the dongle to protect your investment.
In my out of date experience, the dongle wasn't connecting to the net, the software was connecting to the dongle, so we couldn't move the dongle around the shop to start up & run multiple workstations. As for connecting to the net, that is what the newer dongle-free activation options are about... but when you have a dongle for a $4000 program... I've known for years that this is like a $4000 signed check sitting there in plain view. I guess other people don't all know that... but anyone can burn a copy of Flexi... the value is in the dongle, because whoever ends up with it can run the program, or sell the program.

Some people install a usb port inside the tower to protect the dongle, which won't stop someone from taking the tower, but it can prevent accidental damage of the dongle, or a quick slight of hand theft right under your nose, by a disgruntled customer or ex employee who wouldn't be able to take the whole tower.

That's very good advice sir... However, the building was broken into and much damage was done... It was not stolen by a disgruntled employee, most likely... As I understand the situation, he is out already more than 30k after installing a new security system, recommended by the insurance company... He also had to replace all the computers and it seems he will have to replace all the software... Several employees have been laid off temporarily due to the fact that they can't produce any product now for more than several weeks... It is just a bad situation all around... I have to think about how I would react if this scenario was thrust upon me, I would for sure fight for what I already own.... (The License/ Registration) The makers of the software need to step up and do the right thing for this customer and implement procedures to resolve this in any further situations like this one...

d fleming

Dongles, backup drive and bank bag all go home every night. One doberman stays at shop overnight as well ( currently we have 6, anyone like to have an 8 week old gorgeous male at a reasonable price?). Alarm is doors and windows + camera only.

3dsignco

I understand Both side of the Coin and if He's like us there is NO Way I could tell Signlab to stick it now as I have 15 years worth of Clients .CDL Files. And if I don't have Signlab I have no way to open the files.

Lessons Learned always SUCK.. Once you Bite the bullet and buy Flexi again. Make a poor mans Dongle vault. Go to Hardware Store. Pick up a Small Fireproof Safe. Bolt or screw it Securely to the bottom of your desk or somewhere very inconspicuous. Drill a hole in the back and run your USB cable to a hub that's mounted in the box.. Keep it locked.. Have 3 programs that require dongles.. They are locked and secured out of the way..

Not perfect but will slow them down hopefully enough for the cops to catch them.

P

ProWraps™

sorry but SAI has no interest in you or your company. they have no idea what really happened. its on your insurance to pay the claim. i dont blame them one bit. its time to get real here. its not their fault. they sell software. if the loss of that software or license there of is gone, why should they pay for it?

take it up with the insurance like the rest of us have to do when we incur the loss. its business. either prepare for what it entails or get out of it.

iSign

stealth... kudos to you for caring so much... this friend of your suffered a huge loss & you have a first class rant going because you genuinely feel bad for him & I don't fault you for that... but your logic is skewed & your rationalizing is anything but rational.

The more you go on & on about his license, or his owning it, or this or that, the more you sound like you're grasping at straws & don't understand the situation.

He got ripped off!! ...that sucks, because his stuff is now somebody else's stuff.. nobody like when that happens, but it happens every day.

Software manufacturers get ripped off too... every day.. so they have taken steps to protect themselves, just as we need to. Your friend didn't, and now some guy out there has the keys to his property... or more accurately the keys to unlock some privileges he has acquired a license to unlock...

...& SAi charges a lot for those keys, because once you have the key, you have access to the goods...

You friend got burned by the guy who swiped his property, not by SAi.

No two ways about it... There has NEVER been any indication from anyone anywhere that you can have a new dongle if it disappears.

If you break it, then nobody else is opening up your $4500 property, so you can turn in the broken one & at least have some recouse for a new one... but when it's gone... it's just like leaving jewelry laying around.. it ain't the jewelers fault...

signage

Yes they do on current versions, but thanks for the input sir...

You are incorrect about this, you can request a dongle application only but they charge a little more! And when you buy the software and license and read the agreement it tells you about the dongle and what they will and will not do!

Stealth Ryder

Here is their policy, copied from a document on the website:

Hardware Key Replacement
Customers still using our legacy software may continue to get their key replaced if it is
damaged. The service is $95 plus shipping & handling. The new hardware key will be shipped with
a TIMED password. This is done to ensure the old hardware key gets returned. Once the old key is
returned, a permanent password will be emailed for the new key. All returns must be shipped via a
traceable method with RMA # on the shipping label. Otherwise the package will be refused.
IMPORTANT: We are no longer able to provide replacement keys for the following
products: CASmate, Inspire, Flexi Family version 5 and below, PhotoPRINT Family version 3 and
below, and EnRoute version 2 and below.

Stolen/Lost Hardkey Policy
In the event that a customer either misplaces their hardkey or it is stolen, they need to take the
following actions. If a hardkey is lost, they must report the lost key to their insurance company for
reimbursement and contact their dealer to purchase a replacement license. SAi will offer 40% discount off
the original list price for the replacement. The lost/stolen hardkey serial number must be provided to the
dealer. The replacement license must equal the product reported lost or stolen. For a stolen hardkey, a
police report must be provided as well.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Stealth.......

Are we really talking about a friend or customer of yours here... or are we talking about something else ??

All of your questions have been answered time and time again and you keep asking the same questions.... possibly expecting different answers. I'm beginning to wonder why you have such a vested interest here. This is starting to go beyond helping a friend.

Could.... or would you please be a little more specific ??

Stealth Ryder

Nope, just I friend I met about a year ago and stay in touch with. I sometimes have a hard time letting go of something once I get started... I understand that a resolution was found and everybody is happy now so that's all I am gonna say on the subject after this. Thanks for all opinions and advice...