• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Second design challenge.

cgsigns_jamie

Both show lots of potential with a few minor tweaks. I'm pleasantly surprised at the variety of shapes you guys are coming up with. Nice change from squares and rectangles.

Someone's got to be the Certified Rectangle Designer around here...

Quick and bland monument... took about 20-30min using Illustrator CS4 and CadTools

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-03-15 at 8.23.15 PM.jpg
    Screen shot 2010-03-15 at 8.23.15 PM.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 194

SignManiac

Wow! I hadn't even considered that direction. Guess that's why I've never sold an electronic message board. Nice integration Jamie!

cgsigns_jamie

EMC's are our focus for 2010. We've sold 6 since October and hope to keep that momentum going. Every single customer we speak to we mention that we provide EMC's and give them some simple literature... gotta plant those seeds!

luggnut

jamie do you build those signs in house? not the emc but the whole monument?
man i would love to do some work like that, but i don't know where to start? the book rick suggested maybe?
i hope i won't always be a vinyl shop....

cgsigns_jamie

Yep... all in house. We build all of our signs out of aluminum. The only steel would be the support column (the steel pipe in the ground).

Rick recommended a bunch of great books that could help. I would suggest you find an electric sign shop and "hang around" the shop. Experience is the best teacher.

SignManiac

Hey Luggnut, you can design them yourself and outsource to a wholesale company. That's what I do with my custom cabinets. Just be sure to find a good one who is reliable and does good work.

I went through quite a few companies before finding one I was happy with. The same thing with EFIS foam monuments. These can be a good up sell and revenue stream so long as you learn the fundamentals.

omgsideburns

OMGSIDEBURNS - I like the idea on yours. Maybe change the red tho. Looks a lot like an emergency room rather than a walk in clinic lol. Ambulances racing to the actual hospital may turn in.

i was avoiding the kiddie fonts and crayola colors, and isn't it always an emergency when something is wrong with your kid (or pets)? :tongue:

Jillbeans

I copied and pasted the info yesterday so I wouldn't look at anyone else's ideas.
This was about 35 minutes in Corel.
I agree that there is way too much info on the sign but didn't know we were allowed to omit it.
I am not a builder, so I have no idea how this would go together. But the bottom layer would be a flat panel, the hearts painted.
heart at top is separate.
The part where the Drs names etc are is clear acrylic on standoffs with glass etch lettering.
Then the big black box. The lettering would be cut out out of it, with white lexan or some such behind and illuminated.
Probably totally impractical. A teen would die of embarrassment to have to walk into this place.
Love....Jill

Attachments

• bob.jpg
    bob.jpg
    238 KB · Views: 185

HaroldDesign

.75 hour in Illustrator. Never designed something like this. Thought it would be fun, and it was!

Attachments

• PCC_Sign.jpg
    PCC_Sign.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 191

Tim Aucoin

Okay... here goes! This is WAY out of my comfort zone and I haven't a clue what I'm doing, but... I guess you gotta start somewhere!!!

Baby at the top will be a 3D object hooked to a motor to turn it!! :doh::ROFLMAO:
I know it sucks... but I had fun trying!
Illustrator... 1 hour!!! :banghead:

Attachments

• Pediatric-Sign.jpg
    Pediatric-Sign.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 189

omgsideburns

okay... Here goes! This is way out of my comfort zone and i haven't a clue what i'm doing, but... I guess you gotta start somewhere!!!

Baby at the top will be a 3d object hooked to a motor to turn it!! :doh::roflmao:
I know it sucks... But i had fun trying!
Illustrator... 1 hour!!! :banghead:

help! That baby is gonna jump!

SignManiac

This is the whole point of this exercise. Stepping outside your comfort zone. If you never try, you will never learn. Besides, if you currently don't offer monument style signs, maybe you should? It's no different than the rest of this business. You learned to chop and print vinyl, why not add monuments to your repertoire. The more diverse you become the more you can do.

cgsigns_jamie

This is the whole point of this exercise. Stepping outside your comfort zone. If you never try, you will never learn. Besides, if you currently don't offer monument style signs, maybe you should? It's no different than the rest of this business. You learned to chop and print vinyl, why not add monuments to your repertoire. The more diverse you become the more you can do.

Just be sure the get a licensed contractor/sign company to handle the permits and install until you're fully licensed and insured yourself (if you choose to) :thumb: