• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Testing for my second degree blackbelt in TKD today!

signmeup

I am now a second Dan blackbelt!

The test went well. The test consists of forms, fighting, self defence, Olympic counters and board breaks.

I got through my form without messing up. Big relief.. I hate forms.

Then the fighting... the part I go to TKD for...... went very well. My opponent, who was also testing for 2nd Dan, seemed to have a bit of a bad night. I on the other hand had a smokin' night! The poor guy got his a$$ handed to him. He took it with a very good attitude though. Nice fellow. He had an odd style and it didn't seem to be working for him today. He would attack, attack, attack. Just wouldn't stop coming. I hate that! I hit him in the head 5 times with roundhouse kicks over the 3 round fight. We don't try to knock each other out at tests... it's considered bad form so I wasn't hitting him all that hard.

I used my smaller size to my advantage. He was over 6 feet and I'm 5'8 so I stayed inside or jammed him when he attacked so his kicks would land "behind" me so to speak. Worked beautifully. The fighting is the most important part of the test and your score is weighted with more importance placed on that part.

The Self defence is a demonstration of how we would handle an attacker. My parter attacked me and I disarmed him and then subdued him. We've been doing these drills for 7 years so it went pretty smooth. The techniques we use are from Hapkido.

Olympic counters are also demos of little pieces of fights to demonstrate that we know the proper counter measures for various attacks. (TKD is an Olympic sport)

The final test was board breaks. Not the best part of my test. Several of my boards remained unbroken. But the masters appreciate the technical difficulty of the kicks attempted and I scored 3 out of five. better than I thought I would get.

So that's what I did today. I'm now totally chuffed and will retire to a hot tub of water and epsome salts.

Oops...I forgot the part at the beginning of the the test where the masters test our conditioning and stamina. My legs were getting close to the jello stage by the end but I held on. I may take tomorrow off.

Last edited:

GypsyGraphics

The final test was board breaks. Not the best part of my test. Several of my boards remained unbroken. But the masters appreciate the technical difficulty of the kicks attempted and I scored 3 out of five.

so i was right... the woodworker in you wouldn't let you break two of them... they were probably nice clean straight pieces with a beautiful grain pattern... it just wouldn't be right.

CONGRATULATION :bow:

ChiknNutz

Awesome for you! I got to my Brown belt and then life happened (college, marriage, kids, etc.). I'd like to get back into it, but I moved away from my primary instructor. I know I could pick it back up again, but it's been a *number* of years since...

signmeup

Awesome for you! I got to my Brown belt and then life happened (college, marriage, kids, etc.). I'd like to get back into it, but I moved away from my primary instructor. I know I could pick it back up again, but it's been a *number* of years since...
Chris... I checked your profile..... you're just a pup! Get on with it man. Just do it! (I started at 43)

signmeup

That was pretty exciting to read about.
Congratulations!
Hope you're not too sore today.
Thanks Jill. You are right.. I'm a little sore today. Feels like I put in the first day of haying. 3 hours of TKD was a total body workout. The quad held though!

Marlene

just being able to do the black belt forms are impressive! I love to watch some one do them as they are such an art form. I made it years ago(many years ago) up to blue with a green stripe and quit to have a baby and just never got back into it.

congrats, you are totally awesome!

signmeup

Congrats Adrian!

Can I hire you to collect overdue accounts?
Thanks Wes... I think you're looking for Shovelhead......
My training has taught me to stay away from trouble and run away if at all possible. Expect resistance if you corner me though......