• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

This customer introduced himself as...

imagep

"the guy who comes in every three months and wastes your time and never orders anything". Really. This morning this guy comes in and letterally word for word tells me that. Lots of times I think that to myself, but this is the first time ever a customer has directly called himself that.

So I spend the next 20 minutes giving him prices on stuff that he just told me that he is never going to order, I am hating every second of it, thinking that I just should tell him that I dont have time to play games today, while all the time I am being super nice to him.

Why the heck do I even bother?

Jillbeans

I think he was just here.
Ever notice people like that always show up the second you get your lunch out of the microwave?
I would have told him "I appreciate your honesty. Come back when you are ready to buy something. This is a real business."
Love....Jill

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Shoot him, too.

No, only kidding. Ask him if he would mind coming back when you are a little more free.... like in June of 2039.

Patrick46

I am a custom painter/builder, and alot of times I have a cool hot-rod, bike, or truck in my shop. I get these same guys who just wanna check out what cool project I'm working on today. I've told them countless times..."drop on by, say 'Hi', check stuff out...and then GO! I DO have work to do." But no...they wanna sit there and babble on & on about nothing in particular! :banghead:

I've finally gotten to the point that I don't put the open sign on the door, and I walk to work most days (as it's only 3 blocks from home). This has helped cut back on the 'lookie loos'...but it also makes it look like the shop is deserted to my customers. :frustrated:

There's no way to win at this I'm afraid.

Maybe I'll make a sign for the showroom.......:thumb:

Pat Whatley

Yeah, I've got that guy....he's called my Dad. He's been here for a couple of hours today hanging out, looking through cabinets, picking at stuff and asking dumb questions. His quote..."I was bored and can't find anything else to do so Ithought I'd come help you get caught up."

He's about 10 minutes away from getting tossed out since he's not taking a hint.

Bradster941

Hospitals have signs stating Visiting Hours.

Perhaps you could post one stating the hours of after you've gone home for the day.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Yeah, I've got that guy....he's called my Dad. He's been here for a couple of hours today hanging out, looking through cabinets, picking at stuff and asking dumb questions. His quote..."I was bored and can't find anything else to do so Ithought I'd come help you get caught up."

He's about 10 minutes away from getting tossed out since he's not taking a hint.

I would love it if my pop visited... as long as he closed the door when he is doing his business in the restroom...

Joe Diaz

If you were to ever need some sort of sign that a person stopping by your shop is there to waste your time, you don't get one more clear than that. :Big Laugh

You should have said: "Now before we go on. I do have a new $XX.XX per hour consultation fee." Then start you stopwatch and see what he does next.:ROFLMAO:

round man

Patrick46,...down south we call those guys "fender lizards" all they wanna do is drop by so they can tell their buddies the "cool" stuff they saw and brag on the fact that they are our personal buddies and can hang out all they want,..lots of times they even bring their buddies with them makeing sure that they understand it is some sorta privilage,...

letterman7

I've got a couple of those (and, I tend to be one with my mechanic...). I keep on working while they chat away. Doesn't really bother me; the guys that don't buy regularly have referred customers by the "oh, I didn't know you could do that!" visitation.

Rooster

I have one customer like that.

Thankfully he only calls about once a year and if I explain that I'm busy he's easy to brush off.

Techman

Put them to good use. Give them 15 bizz cards and tell them to take em around to all his other stops.

Patrick46

Actually, I'm the most productive in the evenings.

Visitors don't stop by, the phone is quiet, and my favorite radio show is on for me to enjoy uninterrupted. ('Echoes', on NPR) :rock-n-roll:

Mosh

Some days we keep the doors locked. We have a sign we hang up with our webiste on it
telling people we can be contacted there. People give me the strangest look when they ask where I was and I tell them I was in the shop with the doors locked.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
People give me the strangest look when they ask where I was and I tell them I was in the shop with the doors locked.

Do the detectives usually leave after that or most times do they bring the warrant with them?

wayne k
guam usa

Mainframe

Some days we keep the doors locked. We have a sign we hang up with our webiste on it
telling people we can be contacted there. People give me the strangest look when they ask where I was and I tell them I was in the shop with the doors locked.

:ROFLMAO:
That's what I do sometimes, I thought I was the only one!

klemgraphics

I have one in particular that thinks he's a designer and wants to sit at the computer with me so he can tell me how to design his decals. Rarely buys enough to be worth it and he call at least once a week if not more just with order updates. I guess I do have a lot of free time being that all I do is type what I want into the computer and then it makes all of my signs for me, couldn't get much easier than that.

thesignguy1986

I have this guy who isn't a bum but defintally down on his luck that always comes in. He asks if theres anything he can do to make a few dollars and because I know him I let him take out trash and a few things he comes around about once a week. Recently though he began staying in the shop for 15-20 minutes after and when I would be talking to customers he would just blurt out and interrupt. I had to tell him to stay out but back to the origianl topic...It does kidna suck when people waste your time when your busy.