• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vinyl removal from hell

Colin

Just under three years ago I lettered a vinyl awning for a customer, and I used Avery cast (white) vinyl.

I have now been asked to remove the lettering, and thought that it would be easy, but it’s turning out to be the most difficult vinyl removal I’ve ever experienced in my 33 years of sign work. Its bond is tremendous, and is breaking off in small pieces. It seems a little more “baked” than it should be, given how long it’s been on, although it does get a lot of sun exposure in summer. The only thing I can think of that would explain its premature “aged” condition is a severe heat wave we has a couple months ago, with 40 degree (105 F) temperatures lasting several days, and perhaps that cooked the vinyl some?

I’ve still got plenty of lettering to remove, and am wondering if anyone knows if those rubber wheels made for vinyl removal would work on an awning? If not, any other tips?

Thanks

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
I just jumped into 1 too but not an awning. I think I'm gonna send it back and call it even.
We do a lot of sandblasting and 25% of the time, it's just cheaper to replace it than it is to blast and refinish. Sounds like you're in that group here. Just be honest with the customer rather than put yourself into a corner.

Bradley Signs

Bradley Signs
If this is a customer that has come back to you, they may be the kind of customer you want to keep for future work.
If you have been in the trade for all those years, you know the value of having a return customer.
Me, I would find a way, and yes be straight up.
I have people call occasionally from Ohio where I grew up, asking me if I still do signs... and that was hand lettering back then.
Remember: They remember.

Colin

I'm not at all worried or asking about the customer relationship in this case, he's actually a friend of mine. What I'm asking about is an easier way to get the vinyl off. I normally just use a [dulled] razor blade scraper, get a corner of a letter started and then clasp it between my index finger & thumb and slowly pull it off, but that just isn't working here due to the very high bond and the slightly aged condition of the vinyl itself.

Again, will the "Vinyl Zapper" tool work on an awning?

Johnny Best

A Vinyl Zapper would destroy the awning material. It spins to fast and would heat up the awning material and take off the vinyl down to the scrim. Try to put the awning material on a hard backing and use your dull razor blade method. Sounds like the vinyl letting has melded into the awning vinyl.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
I've done some awning revivals and I'm pretty sure we used a wallpaper steamer to soften the vinyl/adhesive.

That said, you may want to explore how much it would cost to strip and re-stretch new canvas, rather than struggling with it and probably ending up with ghosting anyways.

Colin

are you using a heat gun?

I tried it yesterday with very warm sun on it, so no heat gun required. I also tried it after it was in the shade, and there didn't seem to be much of a difference.

Last edited:

hobbymad

A "trick" I have used to remove difficult stuff is to apply the same material on top of it and then use that to rip the old material off. Maybe in your case you could apply a sheet of the same vinyl then "grip and rip" pulling it off fast?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
What white haus said. Offer, after all your useless labor....... quote it by starting over with new material. Explain to your friend, you cannot get it off. Most likely the conditions have bonded the two substrates beyond your control or either the wrong vinyl was used and have also bonded beyond your capabilities. Years ago, when we hand lettered awnings, they could not be used over for obvious reasons. I don't see why you can't do the same.

Colin

I'll explain further. The awning is very very large (long), belonging to the building owner (not the various businesses), and it has other businesses logos on it, and all I need to do is "remove" this one logo, not replace it.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
A "trick" I have used to remove difficult stuff is to apply the same material on top of it and then use that to rip the old material off. Maybe in your case you could apply a sheet of the same vinyl then "grip and rip" pulling it off fast?
Nah, it's become part of the awning... time and weather infused.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Has anyone else in this center had anything changed ?? If so, how does it look ?? If you're the first one, I'd remove myself from the equation. Seems like someone never thought about repairs down the road. Other than painting it out, I think you're up that famous creek without a paddle.

decalman

I painted lettering on an awning. I didn't even know its possible to vinyl it.

Some things cannot come off without damaging the substrate. Maybe this is one. I might get permission to ruin the awning, If no permission granted, then I'd walk away from this.

If client permits me to try some vinyl off, then..what the hay. I doubt that would work.
I could see me getting a lame job like this.

Lance

Not much experience with vinyl on an awning but my major concern would be any resultant damage to the building owners awning.
I’d be looking for some sort of indemnity from your customer, or at least, check your insurance.
If your mate is moving from the property I’d be trying a cover piece over the logo rather than remove, and approach the building owner with the prospect of putting new tenants logo over that piece.
But as I said, not much experience with vinyl on an awning with me.
Good luck, which ever way you go.