• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What Are You/Did You Buy On Sale Black Friday?

TimToad

Stopped by the shop in the am to grab the mail and feed the office fish tank. Then took the afternoon to enjoy some hiking in a new found spot behind our new home we will be closing on in the next few weeks. 65*F here in CT day after Thanksgiving. I would much rather spend the day outdoors with my wife and daughter than sit in traffic and deal with crowds to save a few pennies. We have tried to shop online as much as we can. Our time is much more valuable than waiting in lines or fighting holiday traffic on the roads.

No black Friday deals for us this year.

The average American in our overtly materialistic culture has more than enough trinkets for several lifetimes, we didn't buy ANYTHING.

Back when the term Black Friday was coined, it was a derogatory term merchants came up with to describe how much they hated dealing with the unruly crowds, congestion, breakage, increased shoplifting, etc. Only in these Orwellian times we find ourselves in now, has it dome a 180 and has merchants relying on it.

Christian @ 2CT Media

The average American in our overtly materialistic culture has more than enough trinkets for several lifetimes, we didn't buy ANYTHING.

Back when the term Black Friday was coined, it was a derogatory term merchants came up with to describe how much they hated dealing with the unruly crowds, congestion, breakage, increased shoplifting, etc. Only in these Orwellian times we find ourselves in now, has it dome a 180 and has merchants relying on it.

Ugh that's not what Black Friday was created for.... Black Friday simply means the day that retailers do massive end of year sell offs and discounted sales to bring a company that is in the red on the balance sheet back to the black. Now though it has become a universal shopping day.

TimToad

Ugh that's not what Black Friday was created for.... Black Friday simply means the day that retailers do massive end of year sell offs and discounted sales to bring a company that is in the red on the balance sheet back to the black. Now though it has become a universal shopping day.

I'll grant you that in its most recent incarnations, it mirrors your description, but the history of it is exactly as I described including the earliest examples where slave traders used it as a day to hold "sales" on their "property".

Personally, I'd rather see retailers price their products appropriately the rest of the year and enjoy year long profits than rely on end of year mob scenes like we now see in order to eke out profits in the 11th hour.

Here a few links to the history of the day and its name.

http://www.history.com/news/whats-the-real-history-of-black-friday

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Friday_(shopping)

Gino

Premium Subscriber
C'mon..... don't turn this thing political. That's just some more BS shoved down our throats, by the meek.

Next, I won't be able to say 'White Christmas' without being labeled a bigot.

player

C'mon..... don't turn this thing political. That's just some more BS shoved down our throats, by the meek.

Next, I won't be able to say 'White Christmas' without being labeled a bigot.

The meek shall inherit the earth. Especially at these prices.

Antnee

I made a spontaneous purchase and bought a 65" Samsung 4K tv for an amazing price. The picture quality is awesome!

rjssigns

Waited for all the crazies to go home(after 6p.m.) then walked into Wally World and grabbed a HiSense 55" 4K for $448. Not many people in the store at all.

I was shocked by how many TV's were left. Most models stacked in the aisles like cord wood. Looks like they ain't such a big thing anymore.

Billct2

Thanksgiving Day just as we were loading the leftovers in the fridge it died, well not completely but it isn't getting cold anymore.
So it was just convenient that I needed a new fridge on Black Friday, but I did it online, got the new one for about half price. While I was at it got a new dishwasher too, the old one has started to occasionally leak a little, for about 60% off. Both the old ones were over 10 years old and bargain units when I bought them so I got my moneys worth.

Jacob Singer

My sister surprised me with a pair of Panasonic Bluetooth wireless headphones, which are completely awesome, and for which she paid a grand total of $2.50.

gabagoo

OMG!!!! I am not a shopper!!! I buy things when I need it...The idea of lining up and fighting to get a deal has got to be about the worse scenario I can think of for me to be put in. In any case up here in Canada we now have this fake sale day...Black Friday... No holiday up here...business as usual...but then I made the mistake of arranging a lunch date with a client at a restaurant that sits on the same property as one of these huge outlet malls. I get stuck in one of the worse traffic fiaskos...I was stewing as I sat crawling along to eat a $10.00 lunch ( no deal there).

I just can't figure out how so many people had the day off to go shopping...the place was a mad house....

Dennis422

Got two new iPhones.
Love when I get rewarded when I buy something I had to buy anyhow. Target gave $250 gift cards per phone purchased through them. Same prices on the phones as I would pay through Verizon.
Why not to take free money :) $500 will come in nicely for a Christmas gift shopping.

qmr55

OMG!!!! I am not a shopper!!! I buy things when I need it...The idea of lining up and fighting to get a deal has got to be about the worse scenario I can think of for me to be put in. In any case up here in Canada we now have this fake sale day...Black Friday... No holiday up here...business as usual...but then I made the mistake of arranging a lunch date with a client at a restaurant that sits on the same property as one of these huge outlet malls. I get stuck in one of the worse traffic fiaskos...I was stewing as I sat crawling along to eat a $10.00 lunch ( no deal there).

I just can't figure out how so many people had the day off to go shopping...the place was a mad house....

Wow buddy I feel bad for you :rolleyes:

We stocked up on screen printing supplies from Ryonet. 65 yards of Siser heat press material, plus 300 sheets of transparency film and two sets of ink cartridges.

Jwalk

I didn't buy anything. Canada is just getting started with the black Friday thing. However I don't get on these sales band waggon.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
18v lithium ion w/2pcs 2AH batteries, the charger, 2 extra 3AH batteries, the impact socket set, regular drill, impact drill, set of nut drivers w/high magnetic, the case..... all for $249.00 + tax.
Gonna go get a drill bit set later today​

attachment.php

Merry Everything !!!

and they say there ain't no Santie Claus........................ but there is a Mrs. Claus. She saw me drooling over it at the store on Saturday and said, Merry Christmas, now shut up. :rolleyes:

Attachments

• Merry Christmas to me.jpg
    Merry Christmas to me.jpg
    460 KB · Views: 114

trakers

The 50" LED TV Amazon had for $149.99 and added the Squaretrade 5yr warranty for $26. Ordered it Friday at 8PMish and sitting at my door at 9AM Monday morning. Well packed too. Picture is very nice.

Attachments

• 20151130_140257.jpg
    20151130_140257.jpg
    362.1 KB · Views: 92

Gino

Premium Subscriber
The 50" LED TV Amazon had for $149.99 and added the Squaretrade 5yr warranty for $26. Ordered it Friday at 8PMish and sitting at my door at 9AM Monday morning. Well packed too. Picture is very nice.

That screen looks like it's made from Cor-X................... :Big Laugh

ChaseO

Premium Subscriber
Grimco is starting their 12 days of Christmas today. I stocked up on some various sheets of Max Metal. They typically don't run a truck to me, but for this particular purchase, I got free freight.