• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What, exactly, makes sign people qualified to design anything?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
This is something which has bothered me for a long time. For the most part, I ignore the feeling, but as you said, I see so many totally worthless logos and branding ideas, that make me cringe.

I’m in the same group as you Pat. I can get around, but I don’t do anything spectacular. When I started out, I was in the sign section of an agency/sign shop where they made all kinds of ads, designs, signs, logos, radio ads, flyers and so on. I’d watch them once in a while, but nothing ever really rubbed off on me. I learned the mechanics, but not the fanciness of pizzazz.

Now, I feel I can hold my own as being good at balance, color, elements and other aspects of putting a good layout together using the most basics of drawing. Every now and then a good one will slip through and the end-user will use it as a logo. Putting together good sound layouts is my strong point.

However, after seeing what the vast majority do, I had no problem in taking and using the title of logo designer and then charging for it some years ago.

Sign painters for years just gave this stuff away, while others charged big bucks for it and sometimes wasn’t any good. Why did some get paid well and others not so well ??

An old friend of mine whom owned a nice size ad agency….who is now long gone, told me the real designers aren’t even in this trade. They will leave and go onto areas that actually pay well, leaving starving semi-artists the task of designing logos. His insight was truly amazing as he showed me the books from where all the designers’ ideas come from. All the top designs were usually cataloged and put into print and these books would have volumes and be available for a price. Back then, only artsy-fartsy people bothered paying for them, but the trick was…. the East coast people would get the stuff from the West coast people and vice-versa. He had a whole library of logos and when they needed to come up with something new…. they’d look up what someone did from say… California, Nevada or some other far away place and change things around a little and present that to the customer, knowing full well, no one saw what went on…. on the other coast whatsoever. After some changes were made, it was considered a copyrighted logo. It was then presented in about 10 or 15 paper tissue colored ideas and got paid a huge amount for basically copying someone else’s work. It got to the point no ideas were new, but just re-inventions of the wheel, so to speak. Most agencies would find a niche and they would design in this fashion or that fashion for a while. You see that today, when someone will go off on a tangent and stay on that high for a while and when they feel they’re getting stale, they’ll go in another direction. It’s all about selling. If someone is good at selling and convinces you… you are buying top quality work… well, after it’s drummed into you enough, you start to believe it and a new super hero is born/crowned.

I’m not about to give it away, but when a logo and/or re-branding job comes our way, I do heavily weigh out if it’s worth my time…. worth the client’s time and will I get paid enough or just point them in another direction. I have a handful of designers that I will suggest, and all those designers know to hand them back over to me when they’re finished with them.

It’s tricky Pat, but don’t cut yourself short….. you’re as good as the next guy and probably far superior to the majority of local talent and even on the forum here.
You don’t have to have a knock-out piece each and every time. Sometimes the client’s budget prevents that and some days the pressure from other areas gets in the way. Take what you feel you can handle and treat your customers and potential new customers fairly.

Tell yourself…. YES I CAN !! :U Rock:

Pat Whatley

Enough with the emails. Sorry, I wasn't looking for some kind of pity party, it was just an observation. I know my abilities and I'm comfortable enough with what I can and can't do. I made a decision that this year I was pushing the shop back toward higher end work like we used to do, stuff that was fun and I could get a little creative with. This idea is just a progression of that. It wasn't meant to call anybody out or prop anyone up, just share a thought.

(and for the record it's January 17th....I'm busy as heck and I've sold ONE corrugated plastic sign. Upselling is working.)

SignManiac

Youve shared some great work in the past. Looking forward to seeing your future projects now that you're spreading your wings:thumb:

Border

Great post, Pat. I often feel myself in the same shoes. I've had mixed results with referring clients out to outside designers. I think most people EXPECT that any sign company can do it all, and easily. Some get really uneasy when you suggest subbing them out to a qualified designer.

This is where it is so important to ask LOTS of questions when meeting with a new [potential] client for the first time(s) to determine if they are a high-end client or someone with less of a budget and expectations.

I burned my own bridges so many times early on just because I didn't want to say "no" to anyone who called... Big rookie mistake!

Honesty is a great thing and yours in this thread is very refreshing.

I am proud that I am so much better than I was 10 years ago but also realize the fact that I am a novice in the big picture!

CentralSigns

Ever watch the show LA Ink. The design work is sort of like the artists profiled in that program. Each one was a master of a different style. Together they were able to do real well. Too often we hire individuals that are like us maybe we should be hiring the different than us. A mix of talents makes a spectacular sign shop.

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
I think it comes down to time management really ... The reason why ad agencies, design firms and the such make cohesive and strong design work (logo or otherwise) is the shear amount of man hours they devote to one job. if a design firm has a team of 3 to 5 members, each one brings out 5 sketches, from those sketches they each take 2 and produce 4 proofs you are looking at 24 to 40 proofs to choose from initially and provide to the customer for their initial design consult ... odds are on the side of the design firm who in the span of one or two days can stumble upon 3-5 designs that would be mostly cohesive, and be 20 steps ahead of most sign shops that in addition to making their design guy/gal to work on a logo would also have to make them work on 20 other jobs at the same time. ... man I miss being able to take time on design work. It's a liberating experience really ...

Colin

I suggest that it really depends. It depends on one's logo design ability, and who the customer is. If you're a 4 on the 1-10 scale of ability and your customer is a plumber, you might be able to produce something that he'd be tickled with and that would serve him well; but if you're a 6 on the 1-10 scale and the customer is some GIANT global corporation which requires international market research and a long list of highly technical "stuff" that needs to go along with the logo, then you might be in over your head.

Jillbeans

What, exactly, makes sign people qualified to design anything?
I think it depends on the sign maker.
I think I am an OK designer of solid, simplistic things.
Could I design a wrap? Probably not. But I'd try to.
Do I know jack sh!t about CMYK or color profiling? Not at all.
But I can do a snappy black and white layout.
I have seen the most God-awful, atrocious "designs" sent to me by "real" designers. They are ineffective for the most part, use bad fonts, are hard to read, etc.
(that is, after they figure out HOW to send a file I can use)
I have some things working in my favor that these designers have no idea about.
I was born an artist, as hopefully most designers were.
Therefore I like to think I am good with colors and balance.
All those art classes helped, and high school art classes, and art school.
But I did not go to school to become a designer, I was pretty much self-taught by all the mistakes I've made as well as seeing some really ugly-*** signs.
And making a few of those myself!
Could I do like Rick and produce all those complicated layouts and specs? Hell no.
I'd send that job to him.
But for the most part, I think I'm just as qualified as the next guy or gal. Maybe more qualified than some of the hacks out there.
So I do what I do when I can, and when I can't, I refer to a friend who can.
I know my own limitations.
And I have always liked your designs, Pat.
Love....Jill

visual800

iIthink one thing we as sign guys do have going for us is we understand simplicity! Well most of us except those who deisgn wraps that appear to be an orgy of colors and atrocious fonts with backgrounds of cow skulls, lightning bolts and radioactive acid.
I will go up against any design agency, thats not being arrogant thats just being assured most of them suck.

You cannot be taught design and layout in a school or a book it comes from within. It is something you have to understand and visually see. But who the hell am I I have no addys to my name!

Marlene

really good post as it is a valid question. for me, I think that if I was asked to design a logo/branding for a national/major company, I would be so out of my league. if I am asked to design something for a little mom & pop ice cream company, then I'm the one to ask. I think by being a sign maker helps as I see things differently than a freelancer or design house would. I use my ice cream people as an example as I set them up with a design that was clean and simple. I used stock colors that are available in vinyl, paints and printer's inks. that may not seem like a big deal but I have worked for years with "designers" that don't know what is out there and everything the customer needs is a Pantone match. for a small business, that added expense makes a big difference. when my ice cream people went a little bigger and bought printed containers, they were so happy that it was something they could afford as it was simple, just two stock colors. I think we have a place in the world of design as most of us do deal with smaller companies so we can give them a "look" without the focus group and all the cost that go along with that. a few years back, a hospital paid a designer for a logo and sign designs. there were two PMS colors for the signs plus the lettering was only about 1" high, a thin storked font and mostly dead space. this was a hospital with budgets. right off the top, every signs needed to be made couldn't be done with stock materials which added extra costs to each sign. since is was a hospital, people needed to actually read these signs as they weren't there to be pretty, they needed to guide people to where they had to go. I re-did the whole package for them and they now have sgns that work because I do know materials and what fonts work and what fonts don't.

Vital Designs

Vital Designs
This is a great topic and has sure hit an honest nerve with a lot of us.

One aspect of commercial sign design that is mostly missed is marketing skills (missing the forrest for trees scenario). The ultimate goal for the customer is generating interest through a message. We need to understand and communicate with the customer their ultimate needs. These are things like focusing on target markets, understanding trends, branding strategies etc. These combined with appropriate design are the major components to effective signage.

There are even fewer folks out there that have the bridge completely built between marketing and design.

The irony of what we do is that we give proofs to customers for final approval and they are most of the time the least qualified to make that decision.

Ponto

We aren't all qualified to do every design, no one is. You need to know your limitations, i have my strengths and weaknesses, and where i come up short i rely on people i trust to help me out to make sure the customer is happy. On some jobs i am beating my head against the wall because i can't get it together, and others i can nail in one shot. There are excercises and practices you can work on to work through blocks and rough spots, but keep in mind, ad agencies have teams of designers all working towards one final proposal, a lot of sign companies have one or two people handling the entire process. So it is hard to compare the two.

+1 ...this for sure!!!!... and I could design anything ---given the time---but that might not be in my or my clients best interest...

JP

Joe Diaz

for me, I think that if I was asked to design a logo/branding for a national/major company, I would be so out of my league. if I am asked to design something for a little mom & pop ice cream company, then I'm the one to ask.

When It comes to the actual design work, I wouldn't say creating a brand for a national company would be out of your league, or out of many sign makers' league. I do think it would be safe to say that taking on a national account may be more trouble than it's worth for a sign shop thought. The glam and glitz of doing work for a large well known national company is quite attractive, but the back and forth, the revisions after revisions, the over analyzing, and the committee tear downs, would only be worth while if you received a crazy high check for your services.

Look at what they tried to do to the Gap logo, look at the FedEx logo, the new Walmart logo. These final designs are not out of our reach. There is nothing special about these designs. They work, but are they really attention getting? Are they memorable because of the way they are designed, or are they memorable because those national companies pour millions into pushing that brand in our faces? That is where Ad Agencies come into play. In my opinion it isn't their design skills that make them special, It's their ability to take a design and push it onto the public.

Fortunately for us sign makers there are more small business (and business in between) out there than large national chains. Like you said the mom and pa shops. Businesses that wouldn't dream of actually hiring a large ad agency to create their brand. Companies that can't afford to spend millions to push their brand but need a well designed brand none the less. Like I said us sign makers are in a good position to provide that service. It sure beats them trying to do it themselves or crowdsourcing, because that is where it has been heading.

ucmj22

When It comes to the actual design work, I wouldn't say creating a brand for a national company would be out of your league, or out of many sign makers' league. I do think it would be safe to say that taking on a national account may be more trouble than it's worth for a sign shop thought. The glam and glitz of doing work for a large well known national company is quite attractive, but the back and forth, the revisions after revisions, the over analyzing, and the committee tear downs, would only be worth while if you received a crazy high check for your services.

Thats why when a big brand actually hires a firm to do this for them the check is almost always at LEAST 6 figures, and usually 7

showcase 66

I have a computer and I know how to push buttons. So yeah I can design anything.

At least that is what some clients think anyway.

Deaton Design

If you look at some of the best sign designers we all know, none of them ever took any courses, or schools, or instruction from anyone. It was just there, inside them. That ability to be able to make something out of nothing and make it look good. I dont think it can be taught. I guess you could call it the Mike Stevens syndrome. Its there or it aint.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
I agree and kinda don't agree...

The only reason I see a WELL QUALIFIED sign shop who knows the design process turning down a large logo/branding project is:

They are too busy taking orders, digging holes, coating mdo, going to the hardware store and getting some bolt attachment, ordering materials, cleaning brushes, setting up the plotter, cnc, printer, cleaning the toilet, weeding miles of vinyl, then taping it, and applying it on something, sharpening a squeegie while doing a wrap, welding a frame together, skinning a monument sign, taping in LED's, bending glass, making neon patterns, waiting for the sizing to set up, it goes on and on....

(I consider Pat well qualified)

I still don't know what an ad agency is.. but the majority of companies I have worked for that did work with national and global companies were design firms. There was research, and there were studies done (usually by an ad agency) then more studies, then large submittals made of the studies... but no magic dust. In the end, we sometimes (ok, usually) ignored the studies and went with the gut. We followed a complicated version of the "design process" we should be using when we design signs.

There are a lot of things I can design... like websites. But I won't do them because they aren't fun. Some logos I can't wrap my head around, so I pass that on to someone more qualified. I stopped making signs because I can't do it all... I want to, but I can't, so I picked design as my focus. I love making geek drawings...

A sign shop can be a design firm/ad agency-again, what is that?/environmental graphics/wayfinding consultant/promotional product/printer... but they would be spreading themselves real thin if they were a one man operation. Something has to give.

The reasons we are asked to do design work that is out of our comfort zone is:
---Finding a design firm is hard to do...
---The client does not know what they are doing...
---The client has no budget...
---They actually believe they are supposed to go to a sign shop for this type of work...

It's true, many sign shops should not be designing. Why a small company would go to any sign shop and put their business in the hands in an unproven designer is beyond me. But the fact is, we are the remnants of what "commercial" designers used to be. We sometimes do the grimy, dirty design work the "graphic designers" don't want, and the clients don't want to pay for. Let's face it, most here think business cards sell for 150 bucks and logos sell for $250-500.00

I say to the qualified sign designers to stretch out of your comfort a little bit at a time, but at the same time, raise your rates, your gonna need the extra cash if you screw it up and you get to raise the bar of compensation.... I have followed many people's careers on this site... Take Dan Antonelli... I have some of his first articles in Signcraft. He was not the designer you see now... you can watch the progression of his skills grow as he went out of the "sign guy" comfort zone. Same thing with Joe Diaz... he keeps getting better and better and does way more than just sign shop design work.