• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What formula do you use to quote a job?

Lau Designs

Hi Everyone,
I was wondering if there is a formula that you use to quote a job. What kind of markup you put on materials and etc. I am trying to come up with a formula for quoting jobs so I can be consistant in my pricing. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Marlene

I don't think you will get many answers here in open forum. your best bet is to subscribe to trade mags like "Sign Craft" that have pricing quides that break it all out.

FatCat

That's a pretty vague question since you don't state what type of job you're quoting.

You need to start by figuring out your hourly rate. Which is what it costs you per hour to keep your doors open. $50?...$65....$80...? Only you can figure that out.

Search around the forum, there has been lots of discussions on this topic.

heyskull

Yes very vague question that one!

Best to start to find out what your competition is charging!
I wish their was a magic formula you could work out jobs with but their isn't.
Experience and what the local market can afford dictates prices.

SC

Malkin

FatCat is right. Determining your hourly rate is the most important. This will be the baseline for determining all pricing/quotes

saktrnch

Forget the hourly rate. First you have to decide how much you want to make this year, and then how many days you want to work. Then you will know how much you want to make per day. So you simply divide that number by how many jobs you have to do that day. It's always best to keep things as simple as you can.

gabagoo

Forget the hourly rate. First you have to decide how much you want to make this year, and then how many days you want to work. Then you will know how much you want to make per day. So you simply divide that number by how many jobs you have to do that day. It's always best to keep things as simple as you can.

I llike this but somehow I feel it would sink me!!! lol

Lau Designs

I am sorry for the vauge question. I am new to this industry and trying to get a feel for how to quote jobs. There isn't a specific job that I am trying to quote I just wanted to try and add some constitancy and validation for what I sould be charging.
I understand that it's a bit of supply and demand and covering operating costs that dictate the amount you charge I was just wondering if there was a "loose" formula for calculating price.
I guess I could get quotes on fictishious jobs from competitors in the area but I don't like being sneaky like that.

Once again sorry for the vague question. I guess it's the newbie in me with these poorly structured questions.

wildside

Best to start to find out what your competition is charging!

Why?

your competition doesn't have the same bills as you, same overhead, same dreams and hopes of the future, or do they?

i could care less what anybody else charges, i know how much i need to charge to make what i want to make, if the competition is lower than me, fine, if they are higher than me, fine, but knowing their prices will not put food on my table.

UFB Fabrication

I did that and I would have to work 25 hours a day 8 days a week

UFB Fabrication

I am sorry for the vauge question. I am new to this industry and trying to get a feel for how to quote jobs. There isn't a specific job that I am trying to quote I just wanted to try and add some constitancy and validation for what I sould be charging.
I understand that it's a bit of supply and demand and covering operating costs that dictate the amount you charge I was just wondering if there was a "loose" formula for calculating price.
I guess I could get quotes on fictishious jobs from competitors in the area but I don't like being sneaky like that.

Once again sorry for the vague question. I guess it's the newbie in me with these poorly structured questions.

Labor rate X hrs + material + mark up = cost.

The quickest way to make a million in the sign business is to start off with 2 million. Good luck with your new venture.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I'll be more than happy to share ideas and experience once this thread is placed in a more appropriate place. Signs 101 has two forums that are appropriate:

Sales, Marketing & Pricing. Etc. 91 Threads

Sales, Marketing & Pricing, Etc. (Premium)
2,419 threads

These forums not only contain much of what you need to know to formulate a successful pricing and marketing strategy, but also provide a level of privacy that you won't find in your selection of the General Signmaking Topics Forum.

Sales, Marketing & Pricing is not visible to visitors and guests.
Sales, Marketing & Pricing (Premium) is not visible to visitors, guests and non-subscribing members.

The simple facts of life in this matter is that many members ... perhaps those with the most experience and highest quality answers will not participate or will be less candid because you have selected a forum that your customers can see and that will show up on Google searches.

So what do you want to do?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
price darts.jpg

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
I only quote by the hour on certain types of jobs.
After 20+ years in the business I can work much faster and be more productive than someone who has only be doing this for a few years. Why punish yourself for being experienced?

Lau Designs

Thanks Fred for the advice. I think that this thread is more suited for the Sales, Marketing & Pricing. Etc. forum. I am not a premium suscriber yet so I would want to move it to the non subscribed members Pricing and Marketing. Should I just repost to that forum or can it be moved?

thanks

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Best to start to find out what your competition is charging!...

A good friend owns a gas station and mini mart. Every morning he drives by a competitor's operation, sees what their gas prices are, and sets his accordingly. Every afternoon minions of the competition drive by his station, sees what his gas prices are, and sets theirs accordingly. Madness. A true story but madness nonetheless.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Thanks Fred for the advice. I think that this thread is more suited for the Sales, Marketing & Pricing. Etc. forum. I am not a premium suscriber yet so I would want to move it to the non subscribed members Pricing and Marketing. Should I just repost to that forum or can it be moved?

thanks

I have moved the thread.