• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What is a good basic sign program?

joshieb3

I have an old Roland CAMM 1100 and I need to find the cheapest possible sign program to run it. All I'm doing is cutting some letters and very basic one color images. I don't need anything to do multiple layers, etc. - just the basics. Does anyone have any suggestions? Are there any free programs available that would work?

Biker Scout

Heh heh... Should I? :tongue:

Free vector program is InkScape. And you can cut them on a plotter. A good (freeish) cheap plotter running software is SignCut.

Vinylman

Oh great!

here we go again!!!

{just heard on the Signs 101 load speaker}Fred, FRED!, Pick up on isle 3!:ROFLMAO:

OldPaint

hey dinky....COREL AINT CHEAP, and no it AINT FREE........ BUT $$$$$$$$ to $$$$$$$$ for any other program that does as much.........it is INEXPENSIVE))) $3-400 vs $3-4000.00.......and like i keep saying.NO OTHER PROGRAM IS NEEDED.... been cutting direct from corel since 1992)))))
YES, i know all about LETTER ART, SIGN LAB, FLEXI, SIGN WIZARD, GOOBER....but DOLLAR VALUE... COREL is the BEST STAND ALONE.........specially with a ROLAND)))))

Biker Scout

Thanks for the name calling. I appreciate it.

BUT if reading comprehension is an issue here, perhaps I should move on and let you real sign pros debate the OP's original question by veering into your narrow world view territory. There is more out there than just Corel and Illustrator. In fact, there are super cheap apps on the iPad that are vector based, and if you email them to yourself you can cut them on a real plotter. I was a beta tester.

He did specifically ask for something free or cheap, and was only wanting to concern himself with simple vector work. Bells and whistles are beyond his need and by the sounds of it, beyond his budget.

I happen to know of a vector program that IS FREE (InkScape), and I do use SignCutPro, which is a step above free, like SignBlazer.

OldPaint

DONT GET YOUR UNDIES IN A BUNDLE.........i was just raggin on ya....in humor........shoulda been spelled DINGY))))) as in dingbat!!!hehehehehehehehe
wasnt ment as mean.............
COREL......can be had for FREE versions like 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, & 12.....from people who have upgraded to X SERIES... or very little money..$20-100 bucks....
aS I KEEP SAYING.COREL AND ROLAND.......... match made in heaven. ROLAND has drivers for all versions of corel to cut direct to ROLAND. no qlitches or problems.....thats the best thing. as i said i been doing this since version 3.......of corel.......
i have looked at inkscape.......sucks.... compared to corel.........its that simple.

Biker Scout

Of course is sucks by comparison. But when someone comes on here and just wants to cut stickers, they clearly aren't in the same league to even need corel, much less know how to use it, nor understand the value of compatible systems integration. There are many ways now to get a vector image out of a computer or tablet now that don't include closed source systems. It's "Old School"

Haha! Undies not bunched... doing laundry... sitting at the computer sans serif.

OldPaint

WELL.....i dont even wear undies))))))))hahahahahahahahaha T M I )))))) NA-KED COMPUTER OPERATING... only way to fly))))))
i feel like i got DULUTH TRADING UNDERWEAR)))))

[video=youtube;KcjlYyAPw88]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcjlYyAPw88[/video]

Joe Diaz

I'd go with CorelDRAW. People are most likely recommending it here, because they recognize the value. Give it a shot, you will be glad you did.

joshieb3

I have Corel Draw 12, but can't get it to work with the Roland

Paint, I have Corel Draw 12, and it's a good program. I've installed the Roland 1100 driver, but I can't get it to work with the Roland. When I click print, nothing happens. I'm running it on Win XP. Any ideas on how to get it to work?

S'N'S

Paint, I have Corel Draw 12, and it's a good program. I've installed the Roland 1100 driver, but I can't get it to work with the Roland. When I click print, nothing happens. I'm running it on Win XP. Any ideas on how to get it to work?

Go to Corel and download the plugin. There's also plenty on Utube showing how to set it up.

[video=youtube;5RH6ydfoCyY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RH6ydfoCyY[/video]

Last edited by a moderator: