• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What would you do if you "accidentally" named your company?

Stratguru

Hi all, new guy here. After seeing all the quality work of a bunch of people here, I have a question.

I got into the vinyl business virtually by accident and sort of got a nickname that stuck as a company name. It was based off of a forum nickname that is hard to spell and hard to pronounce. At the time we started, things were moving at light speed and I just went with the name and grabbed a clip art icon and poof, insta-logo.

Bad idea. Now we are a real business, in our third year, website, the whole deal and I have a logo and name I wish I could change every time I see it.

So, I ask all the fine members here, what say you? Live with it or ditch it?

I posed this question here as it is logo related and figured some of the pros have dealt with an issue like this at some point and I may put design ideas here as well.

Your input is very much appreciated!

Stratguru

I probably should have mentioned that our name is well established, as is our site and Facebook page. Some sort of a gradual change over is my only guess so far....

thx!

ddarlak

Go Bills!
change it without hesitation, what's in a name....

quality or price, that's what makes a shop successful.

if you put out quality stuff, have half a brain, you'll make it.

if you charge cheap prices and like to shop at walmart and get by, you'll make it.

either way, your customer could give a rats arse what you pretend to call yourself.....

SignManiac

My company name is Skywatchsigns for the past twenty years. What the eff does that mean to every the everyday Joe?

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
I think if the name has anything negative or
describes something that dos not reflect the
type of business you are. You might want to
change it... hard to say in your instance, we
don't know what your company is called.

If the logo is bad, change it.

I don't know if a bad logo will scare off
clients, but a well designed one MAY give
the client confidence that they are dealing
with someone who is professional...
anything that give the customer the idea
that you are a pro probably give you a
slight edge over the hacks who can't
brand themselves out of a paper bag.

Billct2

Change it now or forget about it. Lots of much bigger companies change their name and logo to reflect their growth.
The logo is simpler to update.

Billct2

Change it now or forget about it. Lots of much bigger companies change their name and logo to reflect their growth.
I had a sub I used for electric work, they were a big company but had a stupid nickname as their company name, every time I refrerred someone to them I had to
reassure them that the name didn't reflect the size or the quality of their company.
The logo is simpler to update.

Pat Whatley

My company name is Skywatchsigns for the past twenty years. What the eff does that mean to every the everyday Joe?

Because Skywatch Signs is a lot more professional sounding than Zupaflyy Grafixxx (or whatever it is)

Ditch the name. It's easy enough to forward people from your current website to the site with the new name, same thing with the facebook page.

OldPaint

what i shoulda dun.......YEARS AGO....... was to change my company name to.....JOE BLOWS CONSULTING CO. these people ........rack in the dough)))))))))))))))))))) and if you ever had to deal with one on a project.....THEY ARE THE MOST INEPT, UNEDUCATED about signage people i have ever had to work with))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Jillbeans

What is the name now?

If it's in the early stages I would surely consider a name change. Maybe even doing the LLC thing too rather than sole proprietor, just not having LLC as big as possible on the logo etc :Big Laugh

People are weird, they will think you are out of business at the drop of a hat, or a fly-by-night if you change your name. But if it's a really corny name, it would probably be to the benefit of your business to modify it or completely change it.
Love....Jill

CrabbyOldGuy

Just remember that ING has changed their name to VEYO. They are probably a little larger than you and have been in business longer as well. As long as you can use your current website to explain and direct them to a new site with a new name, I don't think you will have that much of a problem. Obviously it is the quality and service that keeps your customers coming back. Make sure you take your time to change the name to something that you can live with for another 20 - 30 years. Good Luck with the change.

Christian @ 2CT Media

It looks like from his profile his website is: freqeskinz.com

So I'm assuming the name is Freqe Skinz

If your primary business is scale RC, I'd change your name and not think twice about it. I know a lot of people in that industry and I don't think anyone would bat an eye at a name change.

You can always use the tagline "Formally..." If you want to remind them who you are.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Change your name and logo and put a positive spin on the transition. Many firms preface their explanation with statements such as "In order to meet the ever growing demand", or "In an effort to serve our customers better...the XYZ Company will now be known as (fill in the blank).

Don't skimp...hand out plenty of goodies to reinforce your new identy: pens, magnets, note pads, t-shirts...etc. Have your new logo/name embroidered on some nice golf shirts so your customers are further reminded each time you visit with them.

We've gone through some minor identity changes with our logo over the years, and each new refinement seemed to bring a little fresh energy.

JB

Tim Aucoin

A name change/re-brand can be a good thing for sure. I agree with the suggestions here that say to go ahead and make the change, but for the first while, "remind" your customers who you used to be (and still are)! I am part of a large franchise system here in Canada. 3 years ago we finally decided to "grow up" and finally change our outdated name (and look) after over 25 years. We used to be Kwik Kopy Printing. Back in the 70's, that was fine for what we did, but today it is just wrong in so many ways. We changed the name and rebranded the look but also kept it familiar so as not to totally confuse customers. Today we are known simply as "KKP", and we sub-brand as necessary depending on the market we are targeting. KKP Signs, KKP Marketing, KKP Apparel, etc... For my shop, I keep it as KKP Signs Print & More.

What we did for the first year in order to keep customers from jumping ship (thinking we were gone) was to have the tag-line "Division of Kwik Kopy Printing" below our new logo. We had nothing but positive feedback for the new name and look, and since the change it has had a dramatic increase in our sign (wide format) sales.

In your case you could be "a division of.... (insert current company name)" for the fist year and then go from there. Come up with a name and look appropriate to what you do best and watch the sales grow. After a year, drop the "division of" line and keep doing what you do!
My two cents worth! :smile:

Stratguru

Thanks so much for all your replies. Some great info here. Nice to see others have had similar issues and worked through it.

I like the idea of the gradual evolution along with the mention of the previous name.

I'll make sure to post here as the evolution begins.

Thx all!