• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Why learn to spell? Or can you?

Idea Design

Good point, I'm always amazed how few people can spell. With the exception of a few easily abbreviated words, even when I'm texting I still try to spell properly and make complete sentences. Most people...not so much...

I have an 8 year-old son who has an email address so he can email his grandparents and aunts and uncles and different people. I actually had to tell my mom (who is a short-hand stenographic court reporter, a job where the written word is literally the only thing that matters) to write correctly and not as though she were texting, as he's just 8 and just now learning how to read.

Still haven't figured out why so many people use "loose" or "loss" for "lose".

This is so common I actually did some research online thinking I had missed out the day they taught this new use of these words. I pride myself on being able to write and speak proper English, but this one threw me for a loop. I cannot believe that a mistake like this one became such commonplace that it caused me to doubt my own knowledge and go out on a quest to find the answer. Jeez.

GypsyGraphics

ah oh... how'd i end up in this thread...
lemme check my pockets... got be an upper case letter in here somewhere... crap empty... not even a measly little upper case i... oooo, i did find a period though... think i'll put that right abooooout here

i'm outta here

andy

Tires= Tyres
Color= Colour
Defense= Defence
Globalization= Globalisation
Maths or Mathematics, never, ever Math. (you cannot abbreviate a plural using a singular).
Z= pronounced zed not zee. You are required to use z very infrequently, zoo, zebra, zoom and not much more. When using a plural the correct letter to use is S.

Americanisations (no z) are acceptable within an American setting. In a British or Australian context they aren't. You cannot create a sign with "Organization" written on it because "Organization" isn't a word in our, original version of English.

Relying on computers is a trap far too many people fall into. If the computer raises no objection most people proceed a full speed... even if the computer brain thinks you are in Washington rather than Washington Tyne & Wear.

It drives me crackers.

iSign

ITS' mind-boggling ISNT' it?

hey, those apostrophe's are wrong, right? Did I even spell apostrophe's right?

I'm excellent at math. English was always far more challenging for me. I'm not particularly lazy about it though, so I think I do OK. I just have to work harder at it then others.

Like writing this, and then writing that, would be spelled differently than if I wrote what I just wrote. Right?

So, I guess I'm saying that then or than one is difficult for me sometimes. Is "I just have to work harder at it then others" spelled properly?

The your in place of you're one bugs me, but then and than escapes me.

Whether and weather is one I got busted bad on here a few years ago... I probably said something like "I don't know weather you can't spell or you just don't care" but in any case, I had critiqued someone's spelling & screwed up a word myself... I was eating crow that day!

OldPaint

it amazes me, that most people who are this anal about spelling........can get in their car, fire it up, turn on a light switch, move their thermostat, claim to be sign makers, but cant paint or draw............ without giving any thought as to what is going on with any of those thing and how they work.....
BUT THEY GET THRU EVERYDAY))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Gino

Premium Subscriber
it amazes me, that most people who are this anal about spelling........can get in their car, fire it up, turn on a light switch, move their thermostat, claim to be sign makers, but cant paint or draw............ without giving any thought as to what is going on with any of those thing and how they work.....
BUT THEY GET THRU EVERYDAY))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Hey... wait a minute. What did you do with the REAL Old Paint ?? :Big Laugh

AUTO-FX

If you have a minute or two look at this.

10 rules for commas
Caution- your brain may ache a little after reading them

iSign

If you have a minute or two look at this.

10 rules for commas
Caution- your brain may ache a little after reading them

wow... pretty strange, but if i had more time, I would keep reading that... I guess I've sorta grown into a play-by-the-rules kinda guy in middle age.. but I never payed attention even to the existence of rules like that in my youth, but now that I know they exist... hmmm, kinda interests me. That's a scary thought!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
:ROFLMAO: Haha Doug..... you can't fool me, that's just a very well worded way of saying....... ah, fugget !!

:Oops:

Ponto

It's mostly caring. Most don't care about grammar on mindless forum posts ... it's a lot like conversational speaking ... how many people do you know, actually speak decent English or know how to communicate without "umm" or "like" in every sentence.

:clapping:EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:goodpost:

JP