• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Windows XP Service Pack 3

D

DARLAK

my neighbor called me over yesterday,

he spent the whole day thinking he had a virus because some of his internet functions were not working.

he removed all his spyware and virus protection trying to fix it.

he had on automatic updates, SP3 wouldn't install without the XP Professional Office with Frontpage installation disk, which he didn't have...

he bought the computer at best buy, they gave him a XP home installation disk, but his computer has XP Professional installed on it....

he's stuck with a half installtion of SP3 and can't get out of it....

Techman

be sure you want to make this change. Especially if you have IE7 installed. There are some certain challenges that will crop up that could affect your usage.

for example..
IE7 and this update could cause some problems.. But, you cannot rollback IE7 and return to IE6 with out doing certain gyrations....

weaselboogie

How do you TURN OFF the auto update feature???

Regards,
Bob C.

There's a shield in your task tray. Click on that and select to turn off automatic updates.
What's annoying is that IT IS STILL THERE reminding you that your automatic updates are not automatic. In that dialog box, on the left hand side is something about settings. In there you can turn off automatic update reminder.

Marlene

if you don't load service pack 3, what will happen? can you load service packs after that? I'm so not into the tech part of the wonderful world of 'puters.

choucove

I installed SP3 the other day on my XP professional laptop and did not have any problems. I heard rumors that SP3 was causing problems on certain AMD machines, but this was systems coming pre-installed with XP from Dell or HP because they pre-install the same image of XP on computers whether they are AMD or Intel processor systems. The problem with this is there is a certain Intel driver that gets installed on AMD systems and while SP1 and SP2 allowed this Intel driver to work on AMD processors, something with the new SP3 modifies this and requires the correct AMD driver to be installed and not the Intel driver. I haven't heard how HP has been trying to fix this at all, but if you installed XP yourself or have a different brand then you should generally be in the clear from what I hear.

I haven't noticed much speed increase or performance stability upgrading to SP3, but it has gotten slightly faster at startup.

Shovelhead

I installed SP3 the other day on my XP professional laptop and did not have any problems. I heard rumors that SP3 was causing problems on certain AMD machines, but this was systems coming pre-installed with XP from Dell or HP because they pre-install the same image of XP on computers whether they are AMD or Intel processor systems. The problem with this is there is a certain Intel driver that gets installed on AMD systems and while SP1 and SP2 allowed this Intel driver to work on AMD processors, something with the new SP3 modifies this and requires the correct AMD driver to be installed and not the Intel driver. I haven't heard how HP has been trying to fix this at all, but if you installed XP yourself or have a different brand then you should generally be in the clear from what I hear.

I haven't noticed much speed increase or performance stability upgrading to SP3, but it has gotten slightly faster at startup.

Blazing fast start-up here.

choucove

The reason my startup hasn't gotten much faster is probably just because I need some real deep cleanup on my laptop. I've had this XP install for about two years and I really like doing a reformat every year and a half to two years just to clean up registry, old files, bugs, everything.

3dsignco

Forget SP3 If it ain't broke don't fix it.

To turn off the annoying Icon in the bottom tray and to disable Auto updates. GOTO

Start/Setting/Control Panel/Security Panel.

Windows Security Center will open.
Now you will see Firewall. (do what you want. We run a Hardware firewall so we turn it off..)

Automatic Updates. Click button to turn off or go to bottom and Click Automatic Updates and a new window pops up and you will see turn off updates

Virus Should show On if you have a Antivirus installed.

Now on the left you will see some text. On the Bottom you see. "Change the way security center alerts me."
Click on that.
A new window opens Uncheck all the boxes and click OK.
Walla No more annoying windows popups on the lower right of your screen.