• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

wrinkles in canvas; Magiclee from Fellers

tiredcreations

Recently I bought a roll of Magiclee Torino 17m canvas from fellers. The roll had wrinkles so bad that I couldn't print on it without the head rubbing.

Fellers exchanged it, next day, no questions asked.

New roll, same problem, but not nearly as bad...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qy6txqSDNQ

I have tried pre-feeding it by hand, pulling it tight before setting the pinch rollers, putting the wheel things in the core, taking them out & laying the roll directly on the roller tubes, etc. The printer vacuum is working. Not sure what else to try.

Anyone have this problem before or am I dealing with another flawed roll of material?

This was my first order with Fellers, so I don't want to be too high maintenance right off the bat, but for $350+ I do want to be able to use this stuff.

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
It looks like its only happening on the feed off end and in even intervals. Maybe the material needs more support on that end.

Jack Knight1979

That's awful. I deal wit this all the time.

Luckily I have yet to have this material do this, but they all do from time to time.

It's the roll. Nothing you can do. Get a different lot.
Whenever this happens to me I get a different roll and the problem is gone.

I have never been able to resolve this problem with heat or refeeding the roll.

sfr table hockey

Get Fellers to open a roll and look at it. If its like the one you had the first time they will notice right away. This may be the entire lot they got in at that time, and may be a bigger issue than just one or two rolls. This is not normal. I have had a couple rolls from them and they were fine.

Just so everyone knows this is waterbased canvas and the first roll he got looked like waves in the canvas the entire way across the roll and continued as the roll was un rolled. Almost like the canvas had been stretched in these ripple areas and thus will not lay flat.

On the CJ 500 you don't need to use more than the outer two rollers for the canvas to feed correct. The only thing you could try would be put in a roll of banner material (even if its for the solvent printer) and just feed it though with the outer rollers, don't print but just feed. IF the rollers feed the banner without a buckle then al least the rollers are not the issue.

tiredcreations

Just so everyone knows this is waterbased canvas and the first roll he got looked like waves in the canvas the entire way across the roll and continued as the roll was un rolled. Almost like the canvas had been stretched in these ripple areas and thus will not lay flat.

Yes. Here's what the first roll looked like.
IMAG0140.jpg

eye4color

try this- on the back of the machine, take the canvas and roll out a few feet so there is no tension as it is pulled thru the printer. You might want to try putting a few clamps on the edges of the material to add some weight and "tug" in the front as the printed material rolls out. I'd also check to see if one of the pinch rollers has a little more resistance than the others too.

I had a CJ500 and used that same material. I do not recall having any issues like you are having though. Good luck...

MikePro

cold material meets warm printer? i always assumed that was MY issue when i'd throw a roll of wallpaper material onto my mimaki fresh off the UPS truck... would simply go home for the night, feed out a couple more feet and everything was great in the morning!

i'd try letting the roll warm up in your office and dialing down your heater settings on the printer.

sfr table hockey

Just to confirm for everyone. This is a waterbased printer not solvent so there is no heat involved. The wrinkles are there before the roll even goes into the printer. I think this is a bad batch of canvas. A slight ripple will cause a color shift that will be noticed when printing to canvas so I don't think there any way to print on it.

Mosh

I have never done canvas but, when we do banner we load the material and then roll out the amount of material we need so the printer isn't pulling it off the roll. If we don't do this we often have the material fold up. Don't know if this is the problem....

eye4color

yes, after seeing the pic, it looks like defective rolls. Both were probably in the same run and lot #. It almost looks like the rolls got wet or absorbed too much moisture in a "climate controlled warehouse"....

Brandon708

I would suggest getting some canvas from BigFishDM he has some really good canvas that he sells.

BTW I have used Magiclee before and it never done that on my printer. It has to be a bad roll.

MikePro

i get my wallpaper material from Fellers, as well, and since we're from the same region i wouldn't be surprised if it handles the same way that i've chalked up to being my problem in the past.... Cold storage, colder transportations, and quick load into heated printer.
the theory i've always tagged with this is that as the rollers are pulling cold, heavy (thick canvas, fresh roll), material across a heated platen... and the media is expanding slightly more in the area of tension and causing the ripple effect.

i wouldn't be surprised if the issue works itself out just by walking away for a night and letting the roll sit on the printer. in the morning, loosen some slack off the roll and let the printer feed a few feet against the hanging material, and not the roll itself.... a good first sign is if you can do this while the heaters are turned off. if all looks good, back it up and maybe test print with heater temp. settings at 75% and take it from there.