• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

10 years/ self taught / needing to improve

wrapworld2

Hi, i'm Lee from tennessee, I have been in the sign business for ten years now... learned every mistake about twelve times...... I'm looking to buy a good printer now that I have experienced some wraps over the last three years. Really just tired of being in this alone. Not much help here at home. Kinda like an outcast since i never worked for anyone in the business, just got mad because i couldn't get anyone to make me some signs for over three months back in december of 1999 so .... i got on line, bought a plotter and some supplies, and like i said....learned what we all know... this stuff aint easy.....lol... anyways here i am 11 years later still making signs in the same town and i'm hoping to get a heads up on some direction in buying a good reliable printer for starters and hoping to make some good friends ... my life is signs and i am devoted to the art..... thanks for the help in advance......... lee

ravitan

hi u soun a bit tayierd as my self im the owner of a mimaki jv 3
in here : israel its a very commen machin so parts r in hend
from what u said that signs and art r in your hart
why wont u try to be a sign consoult to architects
u know afther the architect get the building finnsh he need to plan the rigte signs 4 it
like the rigth aming, safty ,toilet, faier neon vs led ect..
dont know if u fill that u have the the exspirence 4 it or that u lve in a big city that have a demand for it , i know that architects r thersty to new art metirials and i thing the will be happy to take a consoulter(10% fee ) like the take in electricity , air condishin ect.
it dosent contredict the printer issu
but mayby its a vergin nish i wonder what the proffeshional fellers have 2 sys about it

SignManiac

Self taught is the "expensive" way to learn. But the lessons learned tend to stick when you have to pay for them...

Ten years isn't all that long really in this business to learn design, sales, production, accounting, marketing, inventory control, and a hundred other details that make up a complete sign company. The printer will be fairly easy to learn in comparison to everything else you need to know.

Tim Aucoin

Welcome from Calgary, Alberta! :Canada 2:
I recently purchased a Roland L25500 and it is treating me very, very well! My two cents (CDN$) worth!

HulkSmash

Welcome From Denver. Im about to get an Epson GS 6000. Try getting to the vegas show end of this month. Good experience.

WildWestDesigns

Here is a little "local" welcome from middle Tennessee. This is a great forum with great (and some weird) people. Just be careful, it's addictive.

Craig Sjoquist

welcome to a outstanding forum and people.

check the older posts and you find a wealth of info about printers, will help you understand which to buy in the future and how to correct problems of what you have.

jiarby

Old Paint is the resident expert on printers... maybe he will chime in and share his wisdom with you!?

Sounds like you have been doing cut vinyl for 10 years, and a few wraps the last three years..

How are you printing the wraps? Did you also design them?

You will also need a laminator, not just a printer. Remember that at budget time.

I think I had an aneuryism reading this one!

hi u soun a bit tayierd as my self im the owner of a mimaki jv 3
in here : israel its a very commen machin so parts r in hend
from what u said that signs and art r in your hart
why wont u try to be a sign consoult to architects
u know afther the architect get the building finnsh he need to plan the rigte signs 4 it
like the rigth aming, safty ,toilet, faier neon vs led ect..
dont know if u fill that u have the the exspirence 4 it or that u lve in a big city that have a demand for it , i know that architects r thersty to new art metirials and i thing the will be happy to take a consoulter(10% fee ) like the take in electricity , air condishin ect.
it dosent contredict the printer issu
but mayby its a vergin nish i wonder what the proffeshional fellers have 2 sys about it

BOOM! Just like in Mars Attacks! About 18 seconds into this video.

wrapworld2

Wow what a great welcome from all over.... this i can see is the best forum i could have picked by far. and yes i have cut vinyl for ten years and worked with another shop in my full color stuff on a roland camm with lamination and using the contour cut with the dot alignment. but i have been paying the shipping on all these products at times and with all the prices going up it just seems fair to expand to a full color printer since everyone seems to like it a whole lot more. I feeling certain with some good reading on here i can make a good decision on which products to buy as well as the material i need to match up and use. i do the designs for the wraps and help print them in the other shop as well as the application process.... which is even more fun.... and to the other guy a BIG YES this could be addictive. i've never had anywhere to turn to for answers really in my work .... thank you all for the kind words and i hope that i can return the favors as well in the future.... thanks lee

Edserv

Aloha from Hawai'i!
We purchased a Mutoh 1204 and Q series cutter. Can't go wrong. A true work-horse for a fraction of the cost.
Just don't get discouraged by the negative feedback some people leave on this site!

mountaingraphic

Welcome from the border of Ky and Tn! I myself am all self taught and am also looking for a printer. A couple things you need to decide before making the plunge

1. What is your budget? This is listed 1 for a reason lol. Printers are not cheap as I'm sure you have seen however if the client's are asking for it then hopefully you can pay it off.

1a. How do you plan on paying for it? i.e Lease, Loan, Rent To Own, Cash money, or five finger discount. All have their own advantage/disadvantages just gotta figure out your situation

2. What size are you wanting? No sense in limiting yourself right off the bat and especially since you mentioned wraps. 54"+

3. What is the life you are expecting from your prints? Since you will be doing wraps and outdoor stuff then you will def want an eco solvent printer a long with a laminator.

4. Stand alone printer or a combo print/cut? There are pro and con's for this decision and depends on your situation..I personally am looking for a print/cut as to space requirements.

5. What about a rip? Gotta have it so make sure whatever you buy has one.

6. How are you going to transport for pickup? This can be a large cost when purchasing a used unit and it is a cppl states away. Def needs to be a factor in shopping

This is just a list I have been compiling in my head while I navigate the world of printers and I am by no means am an expert. Just hoping to help out if I can. Some other things that need to be thought of are service after the sale, cost of running the machine i.e ink costs, print head costs and such

You may want to check out a place in Ohio which refurbs and converts printers to ecosolvents and get on their mailing list. I would post the link but am not familiar with the boards rules.