• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Apartment sign

MARSERdesigns

Here is a design I came up with for a apartment complex.
reef apts.jpg

**Does it look too busy?

MARSERdesigns

Also this sign is supposed to be taken out in the AM and brought back in in the PM. They have used sandwich boards in the past and they have been stolen. What would you guys recommend for a movable light weight sign?

jiarby

the address looks squished
the word "apartments' is unreadable
-because of the scripty font
-because it is ontop that curve

Tree looks like pot blowing in the wind, maybe rename the place "Reefer Apartments"

Even so, if the customer likes it then get your money and move one! I'd use 1/2 MDO, or 10mm coro.

SignManiac

It's really bad. Tomorrow when I go into my office, I'll try to show you with a better example. I find that faster than typing out an explanation.

artsnletters

well, you really ought to lose the script for the word "apartments" or at the minimum, kern them together at the 'a/r', the 't/m', the 'e/n' & the 't/s'. Make it bold...Apartments is a crucial bit of info. I also agree the palm tree is too stylized. Use a basic bold font for the ph # and address as well. Sell the customer a plastic sign-a-cade for an a-frame that they can bring in at night. Try Denco sales in Fresno.
Tim

Malkin

I would recommend 1/8" pvc panels mounted on a 24x36 Signicade.

Other options that are also lightweight may be too much so and blow away...

SignManiac

Here's how I would approach it.

Attachments

• The Reef.jpg
    The Reef.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 95
  • The Reef2.jpg
    The Reef2.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 133
Last edited:

signgal

Beautiful work, as always, Maniac... Now I wonder if GN understands why it works better than the original.

I would suggest those big a$$, nasty black coated steel A-frames with the aluminum panels. Easy enough to put out and take in but cumbersome enough to deter stealing. They can't have it both ways... easy to display and difficult to steal

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Nice going maniac..........

Make it out of thin gauge steel and attach a ground wire to it. You won't have to ever move it again.

SignManiac

I don't think it needs it but I bet you the customer will insist on it. Probably wants website, office hours, managers name and no soliciting on it too :) It's not my job to sell but if it were, I'd talk them out of it. I'm pretty damn persuasive with a baseball bat.

You can always appease them by putting it on there tiny at the bottom.

Marlene

what does the sign do? does he rent vacation or weekly rentals? it seems like the address is pretty stupid to put on it as you are there when you see it. the phone number might be of use if it is a big turn over rental place so you know who to call.

MARSERdesigns

Now I wonder if GN understands why it works better than the original.

I'm still a junior sign maker and can use all the creative info I can get.....I'm seeing that the design by SignManiac is more functional right?

The apartment is set back off a main street 1/3 miles, and you don't see them. They are wanting a portable sign that is placed on a vacant lot (not theirs....I know I already told them it was a no no!) next to a main street.

SignManiac

It's not so much about function. The real issue is legibility. If you can't read a sign because of poor fonts selection, then it can't serve any function. Font's are used intentionally to convey many things. Typography is an art unto itself. You have to really consider how and why you use them.

MARSERdesigns

It's not so much about function. The real issue is legibility. If you can't read a sign because of poor fonts selection, then it can't serve any function. Font's are used intentionally to convey many things. Typography is an art unto itself. You have to really consider how and why you use them.

:goodpost: