• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Covid Sick Time?

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
What is everyone doing for employees that are out with covid? I always figured around 3 sick days per year per employee but with this going on, I don't want anyone who has it to be obligated to come in and risk infecting others here. I also don't want them or myself to be put into a financial bind or to take advantage of extra paid leave.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
I have accrued sick time - so If i'm out then i'll have to use that. Our states Cares act might cover some of it? not sure, but I'd have to go through the state to collect on it.

2B

Pay them.
See if there is any work that can be done remotely, social media, organizing the files, etc..

Inks

We pay anyone who has the misfortune to be off due to Covid. We all need each other to succeed and our fellow workers, their families and our customers are our top priority. People appreciate when you care about them and the work environment is much better as a result. At the moment with the new strain the recommendations here are a 5 day quarantine.

Notarealsignguy

There is no remote work option, its all labor. Do you require proof of them being positive? I have 4 guys that like to work and come in even when I tell them not to. Then I have 1 guy that likes to call out on a regular basis and would probably have covid 10 times if I set a loose policy. There has to be some sort of boundaries, I just can't really pin down what they should be.
The other thing is, when people have mild symptoms of something, they will likely not want to go sit in line for hours to be tested. If they are really sick then that is different. It isnt really feasible to tell everyone that has the slightest snotty nose or headache to stay home as a precaution. I still have to run my business. That is also what I am trying to figure out. I would go buy a bunch of rapid tests and have my wife do them here but they are a little hard to come by at this moment.

Billct2

We have x amount of paid days off depending on how long you're here. So that's what they are supposed to use it for. I had one guy get it and he didn't want to stay out 10 days and since we
have a divided space he came in and worked some half days in the back by himself. I appreciated it since we are small and were already running behind so I paid him for full days.

balstestrat

Problem Solver
Hehe, across the pond, anyone who is sick is banned from coming to work. 10 day quarantine if covid. You can do remote work etc. if you can. I think there's like 50 paid sick days/year or something like that but you have to have a doctors approval after few days.

Notarealsignguy

We have x amount of paid days off depending on how long you're here. So that's what they are supposed to use it for. I had one guy get it and he didn't want to stay out 10 days and since we
have a divided space he came in and worked some half days in the back by himself. I appreciated it since we are small and were already running behind so I paid him for full days.
A guy here thinks he had it and stayed home for a few days but came in today for the same reason, he can't stand sitting home. He is wearing a mask plus most everyone wears respirators all day. We aren't in an enclosed space, its just my wife and I in the office, the rest are in the shop which is pretty much wide open with air flow. Anyways, this is what got me thinking about this, do I tell him to go back home? He wouldn't want to even with pay. I can only assume he has an ugly ass wife?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
You're probably right, but now you're stereotyping. Now you'll get knocked off for that comment, too. If he doesn't go home, give him money for the movies and some snack money and send him on his way. Tomorrow's Saturday. You should be safe til Monday. It's only 5 days now for quarantining.

Stacey K

I like making signs
I'm pretty sure I had it the week of Christmas. My Dad - the only vaccinated one - was the super spreader LOL My sister did a home test and was positive, the rest of us just assumed and stay home. Cancelled family Xmas, etc. wore masks. There were no home tests left around here and the local clinic closed so what can you do?

Rules around here with most local businesses: Clinic or home test = positive = you get paid IF you are vaccinated. If you are not vaccinated, you don't get paid.

Where my friend works as HR they test close contacts, you stay home until symptoms are gone. They are super strict about all of it. She's a mini Fauci and follows his recommendations to the tee. Close contacts with quarantines, etc.

Where my BF works, it's very lenient. He's been a close contact probably 20x and never told to take a test. Some of the guys had it "3" times...ya right. But there you have to go buy your own home test. Some of the guys have had to travel 45 minutes away to find one or get an appointment. And show no proof so, how do you really know?

You want to be safe but on the other hand, like my BF if you don't get paid cuz your not vax, you also won't get tested if you have the sniffles. Nobody wants to lose holiday pay over Christmas/New Years. He was a close contact on Dec 22 for the entire 8 hour day and they never said a word to him. My guess is because if he had to lose all this holiday pay, they are too afraid he would get pissed and quit. So you have to think about also LOL

rjssigns

Check with DOL regarding FMLA for Covid.

As far as abusing "Covid leave" that's a real issue.
Here is a "hypothetical": Unless it was convenient to go to class many students claimed they had Covid/close contact and stopped showing up. These same students also claimed they couldn't get a Covid test for at least a week. Yeah right, around here you can't trip and fall without ending up in the doorway of a testing center. Then they asked for accommodations so they didn't fail. This put an extra burden on staff having to rearrange their time off to help them catch up.

In my neck of the woods at minimum you need to show the test results. If you had covid you need to show a negative test and see a doctor to get a note from them before returning to work.

Last edited:

netsol

There is no remote work option, its all labor. Do you require proof of them being positive? I have 4 guys that like to work and come in even when I tell them not to. Then I have 1 guy that likes to call out on a regular basis and would probably have covid 10 times if I set a loose policy. There has to be some sort of boundaries, I just can't really pin down what they should be.
The other thing is, when people have mild symptoms of something, they will likely not want to go sit in line for hours to be tested. If they are really sick then that is different. It isnt really feasible to tell everyone that has the slightest snotty nose or headache to stay home as a precaution. I still have to run my business. That is also what I am trying to figure out. I would go buy a bunch of rapid tests and have my wife do them here but they are a little hard to come by at this moment.
Then I have 1 guy that likes to call out on a regular basis and would probably have covid 10 times if I set a loose policy.

Back in the 70's we had a truck driver, who, every january would take a week off because his "grandmother passed away." January was always tough for her. Then marvin would be delayed because they "lost the coffin, on the train". The other 11 months of the yesr, he was a good employee...