• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Do you "fix" your sizes

Scotchbrite

No comment
This is a discussion we've had here a few times with some disagreement. Lets say you are making a lit letter sign that says HOUSING. You need to size the letters up to 18" tall but the length comes out to 82.719". Do you.....

A) leave as nature intended at 82.719"?
B) round it up to 83"?
C) round it up to nice even number of 84" because odd numbers are just that, odd?

netsol

Premium Subscriber
Let it eat. Are you aware of how many people can't read a tape measure?
50 something years ago, in 7th grade, we a wood shop class
THE FIRST DAY, the instructor played a little game. He took an odd sized piece of wood, a tape measure and a stack of index cards and a pencil.

Everyone was instructed to measure the piece of wood, write down the EXACT DIMENSIONS, fold the card and DO NOT DISCUSS WITH ANYONE.

26 kids in the class and 26 different measurements. (Length and width, 2 chances to be wrong!)

A very good lesson, I still remember

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Sound like 26 kids that don't know how to use a tape measure.

And yes Boudica, a cunt hair is a unit of measure.

Last edited:

ProSignTN

Boudica, it wasn't such a bad word till George Carlin came along. It's about as wide as the shadow from a pencil line at sundown. Nice cigar!

Stacey K

I like making signs
Quite the conversation here LOL

I would round up to 83". I often send final proofs to customers with total height and width...people are stupid so using whole numbers or .5 is about the only thing they seem to understand.

I was forced to read a tape measure as a kid or hear the wrath of my fathers made up swear words. Similarly I learned to swim by my dad throwing me off the end of the pier and walking to shore.

I can read a tape measure AND swim! Probably at the same time if I tried :p

Scotchbrite

No comment
I used to send drawings with dimensions to a vendor. I would round the dimension labels to the nearest tenth. They would come back with "Your dimensions say 13.4 inches but it's actually 13.381 inches, is that okay?" :doh:

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
I'm so glad this issue came up on here. We have a constant debate over this. I mocked up graphics for a customer right in front of him. He maintained that he wanted the graphics to be 32 inches wide. Well, when you place "landscape" in a 32" wide pallet and "tree removal" in a 32" wide pallet, they will be different sizes height wise. Do you want it to be consistently tall or consistently wide?

He dropped the truck off then behind the scenes we had a discussion over what to do. We decided to make them a consistent height and we ended up scrapping the 32inch wide thing.

dude was fine and didn't even know we had a "struggle"

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
If resizing is somehow going to grab you by the cojones and slam you to the ground, by all means leave it exact. Otherwise, not so much.