• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Hello from N.C.

Daniel

I finally joined - good to "officially" be here!..

Anxious to hear from fellow signwriters out there as I'm having to replace my entire brush set - sad story involving a "chemical" spill and ruined hairs!..Anyway, would be neat to hear what some of you use and what you like specifically about them (in particular flats and liners)...

My old set was a mutt of a set, very mixed and very old - suppose change can be a good thing ;)

Thanks!
daniel

* pic is current (unfinished) project i'm doing...landlord refused to let me remove the address number?!..still pressuring him though!

Attachments

• photo (5).jpg
    photo (5).jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 99

Moze

Welcome to the site.

Would he let you paint (?) the address numbers in a similar style as if it were a smaller sign suspended from the primary graphic? It would sure blend a lot better.

Arlo Kalon 2.0

sounds like you mostly still hand paint. How's that working out for you? After 35 years in the sign biz, going waaay back to before computers of course, I am retired at age 59. After years of mind numbing vinyl work, I am experiencing a resurgence of interest in hand painted signs. Most of my brush work these days is pinstriping motorcycles... a few days ago I nade about 100 bux an hour striping a Gold Wing for $55o.oo - with more of 'em lining up. Seriously, do you get much sign painting work? If so, why do you suppose that is (aside from the obvious quality of your work!). Anyway, welcome to the finest people and forum on the internet.

Daniel

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome - I appreciate the compliments too!!!

MOZE - Your suggestion was exactly what I tried to do - there are businesses to the left and right of the sh0p sign that I did...all matching address numbers! MY SOLUTION moving forward is to guild the "Legacy Irons" in a gold (maybe engine turn it)...I'll also be adding some outlines and possible highlights etc...I'm hoping the "soul" of the hand painting will crush the vinyl ...to death...visually speaking that is ;) Once completed I'll update with pics.

ARLO - I'm sending you a PM

704SIGNS - Thanks for the compliment!! I'm sure you're better at lettering than you give yourself credit for. Occasionally I'm in Charlotte (family mostly), however I do some work there every now and then...on my next "sign writing" venture, I'd be more than happy to contact you and we could meet up on my job site (share tips and tricks)...I'm also available for hire, if you have customers who want "sign writing / hand lettering" needs...sometimes those jobs have enough profit to sub out...sometimes :)

ERIC RAMSE - same offer goes to you as 704, I'm in Raleigh every so often painting a sign - next time I'm your way, I'll let you know if your interested, we could meet on site if you like...I'm all about networking, referrals, word of mouth etc...

SAR BOSSIER - Appreciate the compliment!!! We all need encouragement!

SignManiac

Nice work Daniel. I no longer hand letter but I did a ton in the old days. I just hired a true sign painter with twenty five years experience who moved down here from Mass. I'm teaching him a lot of stuff he never used before. It's a win win for both of us.

Keep up the good work. I think there will always be clients who appreciate good brush work.

april80

Hi! I am new to the site as well as my bussiness. I am here to learn from others as well as well as maybe someone can learn from me. I also am here for a little help on what I have!

Craig Sjoquist

Welcome to a outstanding Signs 101 and people.

Outstanding work you do, hope to see a bunch more.

Still enjoy hand lettering here after 36 years.