• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Help with this sign layout

I openly admit I am no artist or designer by any definition. I am currently in talks with a real designer for a complete logo but thought I would throw this out there for critique. What can I do to make this better...starting over is an accepted answer!! Thanks

I forgot to add that this will be a double sided sided sign...hence the different wording. The color scheme is Royal Blue and Yellow.

Attachments

• horizontal signs.jpg
    horizontal signs.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 165
Last edited:

SignosaurusRex

Straight-up without sugar coating... 'Starting over' would be a case of 'Putting the cart in front of the horse', would it not? Before you advertise "Above All Graphics" and "Design makes the Difference", don't you think you should make sure you can back it up with a Top Shelf "Above All' designer on your staff?
I'll gotta give you credit though for taking the leap and at least posting what you have so far.

CP Signs

+1 for being honest and ready to accept what's coming as far as critics. When I saw the thumbnail I thought it was a license plate. That font has to go. Keep trying until the designer does his job. Practice never hurts.

SignManiac

Focus on your name and what you do. Learn to use contrast in your color, font weights, etc. Design it as many times as it takes until you hit on a good design. Don't give up. Thick skin will eventually get you there.

Marlene

I openly admit I am no artist or designer by any definition. I am currently in talks with a real designer for a complete logo but thought I would throw this out there for critique. What can I do to make this better...starting over is an accepted answer!! Thanks

why? why put this out there when you admit you are no designer and are working with a real designer to develope a logo? why? did you think maybe it was great and we would tell you to forget the real designer? these kinds of posts just make me wonder

SignProPlus-Chip

Yeah, this is another case of coming up with an awesome name to sound great, yet you are only "planning" to hire a professional designer. Hey, I may be "Sign Pro Plus" but my partner and myself have about 30 plus years of experience. What make you "Above All"?

Seriously, how in the bloody hell can you, with a straight face, call yourself "Above All" with a tag line that reads "Design makes the Difference" when you cannot live up to those claims even when designing your own logo?

With that little bit pushed aside, a text layout does not a logo make. Are you designing a logotype instead? If your "above all" you probably should have known that too.

Can you evolve this current design into something workable, I'd say yes. If a client gave me this as a starting point, I could use it as a jumping off point some ideas spring to mind almost immediately.

Now I am not going to sit here and tell you what to do to fix it, as with many others here I am a designer by trade, time is money and all that jazz. However think about a few key things.

Logo or logotype?
Clarity, Legibility & visibility
Dominance of elements within the design
Keep it simple
Is it appropriate to represent the business it's for?

I know I am rough around the edges, I just don't believe in bull$#!tting and get straight to the point. Take my words constructively and not as an attack...learn from what everyone is commenting here.

Jillbeans

You have too many fancy fonts going on.
I would make GRAPHICS in something sans serif, non italic.
The script (even though it is a lovely one) looks like it was typed straight into your program without any fiddling. I always break things apart and move them around and even node edit script lettering to make it look like it was hand-lettered.
Everything is running too close to the edges.
Try reducing the size of everything and eliminating the rule lines.
Using two different taglines is kind of corny. If you do, "other" needs to be capitalized.
Kudos for not using Serpentine, Papyrus, Bleeding Cowboys, etc etc.
But I would hurry up and hire a designer if you are proclaiming that your designs make a difference.
Love....Jill

Salmoneye

+1 Maniac +1 Jill Around here, "Above All, it's a rough crowd." LOL Hang in there, through the teary eyes there are a couple of golden nuggets in these posts that will help you along to the next version of hot mess. Then they will give you a couple of more... ...

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I don't see the need for all the negativity.

He's gotta start somewhere and you're basically beating him down because of his choice of name ??

What happens should this guy, willing to take a chance, hires a killer designer and next week comes up with a crew that totally fulfills his name ??

He's got one thing that gripes me.... and that's that he has a different message on both sides. That should remain constant.
There are many areas that need fine tuning, but I think for a non-artist/non designer.... this first attempt is rather good. It's not a close finished piece of work, but you're heading in the right direction. I mean, he even passes the squint test, which many seasoned designers can't do.

Jillbeans

Here's a "Neato" inspired suggestion for your sign.
Not sure if it passes the squint test though.
:smile:
Just showing how I always fondle a script a little bit.
(A&S Cardiak)
After I uploaded it I realized I got the name backwards, having a "senior moment" I guess.

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    264.7 KB · Views: 140

tsgstl

Here's a "Neato" inspired suggestion for your sign.
Not sure if it passes the squint test though.
:smile:
Just showing how I always fondle a script a little bit.
(A&S Cardiak)
After I uploaded it I realized I got the name backwards, having a "senior moment" I guess.

Sorry Jill I couldn't help myself, it is a great design but it's the first thing I thought of

Attachments

• all.jpg
    all.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 148

Jillbeans

What can I say, I have been doing a lot of restaurant signs lately.
:)
You could at least have used the same script...now the OP will think it's OK to put two scripts in the same layout.