• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

I just caught a little mouse in my house!!!!

gabagoo

So I am sitting in bed watching my beloved Golf Channel and I catch something out of the corner of my eye. I re-focused and there crawiling across the floor was a little mouse!!! He ran into the ensuite washroom and I ran in after him. I didn't want to lose sight of him and the ceramics in the washroom are black so he was pretty well camouflaged. He kept scurrying around but I figured he was a juvenile as he seemd so small. I cornered him behind the toilet and I was frantic to figure out how to grab him.
In our house we dont really kill things. Spiders are given names and if a wasp or a bee or even a fly buzz a round I try and get them out alive.

So as I kept trying to catch the little guy he went back and forth behind the toilet and then he went into the corner behind the plunger. Aha!! I can put the plunger on top of him and I did. Now I ran back into the bedroom and found some banking papers (perfect!!) to slide under the plunger. I was very careful as I didnt want to hurt him. I then carried him downstairs and told the wife. She was all excited and didnt believe me and then good ol Oliver walks by, you know,,, the cat!! I said good job buddy!!

I took the plunger outside and as I lifted it up, nothing was there. Shoot I missed him I thought and then turned the plunger over and it has an inner core and I saw a couple of feet, so I lay it down and out he scurried into the garden. My wife shrieked with excitement as she saw him scurry. She says "do you think he will be OK out here?" I just looked at her and said nothing as I rolled my eyes.lol

Well thats the first time I have ever seen a mouse in my house.

I wonder if he had a family in here? Never seen any turds around either so maybe he got in through the garage... no clue.

Thats my story for tonight and I am sticking to it.

TheSellOut

You are a good story writer...I enjoyed reading that! Don't be surprised if he finds his way back though, they are smart little critters especially when they know where food is. We had our first house mouse this winter, but the ending wasn't as happy...mouse trap! *fingers crossed* Thankfully we haven't seen another!

skyhigh

glue traps are pretty cruel. At first you think...hey they won't get beat over the head with that metal bar on your typical mouse trap, snapping their little necks. Then you see one of those cute little things struggling to get loose from the glue, to no avail. Their little hearts beating a mile a minute, and their eyes so big as you approach.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
When we lived in Washington, I was awakened one morning by a rapid scratching at my head. A shrew had evidently found its way into the house and found a spot on the pillow next to my head for the warmth. I made the mistake of rolling over on the little guy in my sleep.

The Mrs. claims to this day that she's never seen me move that fast ... before or since.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Fred I'm laughing my ass off picturing that image in my head. :) I move that fast around spiders !

The best one though is my Mrs.

Back in the time shortly after she moved to Florida from Alaska, she got up in the middle of the night to relieve herself ... not bothering to turn on the bathroom light. Half asleep and in the dark she had no idea that a frog had somehow found it's way up through the pipes and was lounging in the water in the commode. The frog, probably thinking it was under attack by what was falling from above, reacted by jumping straight up into whatever it could bump into in defense.

Now that was the best example of moving fast I've ever seen! :ROFLMAO:

BobM

While trying to feed my very young boys, my wife saw a little field mouse go across the floor. She wispered to me, "a M O U S E (she spelled it out)". I captured it and release it back outside.

When I came back into the kitchen I asked her why she spelled M O U S E instead of just saying it. She answered, "I didn't want him to know I was talking about him".

35 years later my sons and I still enjoy reminding her of that day.

Craig Sjoquist

I live on about 5-6 acres all of it was mobile trailers good hundred then down to 50 then all gone I'm in a old building built back before the 50s well when the trailers where gone the mice & rats took to living in the attic ... the noise, movement, and thoughts well all gone now defcon works well but it took 2 years of constant feedingguess it was a normal path

Jillbeans

We have mice this year.
We also have a cat but it's really stupid.
She caught the wee sleekit beastie, but just carried it around in her mouth.
Her jaws had to be practically pried open so the mouse could be released outside.
Ever try to do that to a p!ssed off growling cat?
I try to get those traps that are enclosed so I don't have to see any guts or bulging eyes.
Love....Jill

ddarlak

Go Bills!
you should have stomped it into the ground....

they'll be more and plenty, followed by rats...

this same thing happened to me about 6 years ago, started with one little cute mouse scampering across the kitchen floor. I chased him around until he squeezed under the door to the garage.

whew, i thought, he was gone...

shorthly followed more little cute mice, followed by bigger mice.

a trip to Home depot to get some snap traps, caught 13 in one week....

next winter, the bigger mice returned to the garage, seems like once they find a spot they keep coming.

i set traps that winter but couldn't catch them.

then comes spring. i start cleaning out the garage and find the motherload of mouse shit under my mower deck. clean it up and move on to the outside of the garage....

i start diggin up the side of the garage where the flower bed is to get ready for spring and i see a little white snake wiggling in the dirt, closer inspection and i find that it is a tail!

i stab the ground with the shovel and here this god awful sound, like a baby crying and a giant rat comes running out of the ground and into my garage....

the chase is on... i corner him/her and start playin slapshot hockey with my shovel until the thing stops moving.... i take it to the lawn where i decapitate it with my shovel.....

back to the dirt pile.... i start digging and I see another tail, this time i go get my cross bow, aim at the tail, and bam, rat schish-ka-bob!!!

long story short....

cute little mice invite nasty big rats......

kill'em

now when i see mice around the garage, i drop a few cute little blue Decon cubes. the stupid little bastards love to eat them....

then in the spring, after the snow melts I just search around the yard for exploded mice/rats laying in the yard....

gabagoo

you should have stomped it into the ground....

they'll be more and plenty, followed by rats...

this same thing happened to me about 6 years ago, started with one little cute mouse scampering across the kitchen floor. I chased him around until he squeezed under the door to the garage.

whew, i thought, he was gone...

shorthly followed more little cute mice, followed by bigger mice.

a trip to Home depot to get some snap traps, caught 13 in one week....

next winter, the bigger mice returned to the garage, seems like once they find a spot they keep coming.

i set traps that winter but couldn't catch them.

then comes spring. i start cleaning out the garage and find the motherload of mouse shit under my mower deck. clean it up and move on to the outside of the garage....

i start diggin up the side of the garage where the flower bed is to get ready for spring and i see a little white snake wiggling in the dirt, closer inspection and i find that it is a tail!

i stab the ground with the shovel and here this god awful sound, like a baby crying and a giant rat comes running out of the ground and into my garage....

the chase is on... i corner him/her and start playin slapshot hockey with my shovel until the thing stops moving.... i take it to the lawn where i decapitate it with my shovel.....

back to the dirt pile.... i start digging and I see another tail, this time i go get my cross bow, aim at the tail, and bam, rat schish-ka-bob!!!

long story short....

cute little mice invite nasty big rats......

kill'em

now when i see mice around the garage, i drop a few cute little blue Decon cubes. the stupid little bastards love to eat them....

then in the spring, after the snow melts I just search around the yard for exploded mice/rats laying in the yard....

No I think your wrong on my situation. I live in a residential area that is pretty new (20 years old) and I have seen them before outside. No rats around although I have a family of Racoons living under my neighbours deck and have found a dead mouse in the pool and I think a mole. Thats it. I think this is an isolated case and somehow he either snuck in when the back screen door was opened by the cat or he jumped in from the door that leads into the garage.
I never kill them. Worse case scenario I get the humane traps and set them free in a field. I used to have mice as pets when I was a kid, I couldnt kill the little fellows.

Marlene

glad to hear that there are kind and nice people out there! we live in a house that's over 100 years old so in the fall we get a few field mice thinking that they found a winter home down in our cellar. we use those have a heart traps where they get in and can't get back out but are un-harmed. we then drive them to a spot down by the river that has good ground cover and natural food for them and let them go. I was asked once if they came back and have to laugh as they aren't Lassie who will find their way back home.

don't listen to these guys and just stay as nice as you are:loveya:

when i was a young man in college i was living in a dumpy apartment building..one night i was up really late studying and enjoying another beer and out of the corner of my eye i saw something move...i couldn't see what it was but new i saw something so i sat there patiently for a good hour knowing if i moved i probably would never see what it was.

it was a mouse. i hate mice. that night i packed up everything i owned, gave my notice and moved the hell out never to return. i hate mice. the only good rodent is a dead rodent. guaranteed if you see one there are more, it is not an isolated incident.

btropical.com

We allways bait up the hunting camp and mothball old cars to avoid rodents . if you see one better believe there is more . Seem to remember reading about the plague somewhere and it is gettign closer to 2012 .

gabagoo

glad to hear that there are kind and nice people out there! we live in a house that's over 100 years old so in the fall we get a few field mice thinking that they found a winter home down in our cellar. we use those have a heart traps where they get in and can't get back out but are un-harmed. we then drive them to a spot down by the river that has good ground cover and natural food for them and let them go. I was asked once if they came back and have to laugh as they aren't Lassie who will find their way back home.

don't listen to these guys and just stay as nice as you are:loveya:

Oh but they can!!!!

about 15 years ago I had a different unit in this complex and in the winter I started finding those little turds around my Gerber sprint. As the day wore on a strnage shrimp like odour would come out of the sprint as it got hot. I opened the lid where the boards were and found little stains on the motherboards and other boards. This was mouse urine and it reaked.

Went into action and bought this large humane trap and left it in the back shop on a Friday night. Came in Monday and there were about a dozen little guys. I carried it to the far end of the units...maybe 300 feet away and opened it under a tree with rocks and a nice little place for the meeces to live.
Nope they all started scurrying and 2 or 3 of them started making there way back to my shop. I followed and watched as the navigated around corners and then finally they get to my back roll up door and slip in somehow between the rubber and the roll up door.

I couldnt be nice after that and had to buy that poison to kill them. It worked and never saw any for years.

The Sign Dude

Not a mouse in the house story but yesterday I went to take down 3 4x8 signs for a customer. We took down 2 and went for the 3rd but someone had screwed an info box to one of the 4x4s and a bird had made a nest in it. I thought about moving it but when I looked down in it there were 3 little heads bobbing around soI decided to leave it. My customer is going to be sooooooo happy. I think im going to disassemble the sign and leave that one post.

Last edited:

signgal

I agree with Marlene... don't screw with the balance. It'll come back to bite ya! If there is anything one learns from living in Florida, it's that! Right, Fred? We're backed up to a conservation... The snakes eat the mice and rats, the lizards eat the bugs, the birds eat the hungry grasshoppers devouring my jasmine and all is right in the world. Well, after I sprinkle moth balls around the outside of the house to keep the snakes outside, I like 'em just not slithering unexpectedly through the living room.

Palmetto bugs I don't do, they can all die and take their roach brethren with them...
Yelled for my husband to come kill a huge one in the middle of the night, when he sleepily replied, "You get it. You can do it." I loudly inquired him, "Wtf do you think I got married for?! To cook, clean and otherwise care for you and your offspring?! Get your ass out here and kill this thing before it gets away or I'll find someone to take your place!!!"

He cleaned it up too *giggles*

ddarlak

Go Bills!
No I think your wrong on my situation. I live in a residential area that is pretty new (20 years old) and I have seen them before outside. No rats around although I have a family of Racoons living under my neighbours deck and have found a dead mouse in the pool and I think a mole. Thats it. I think this is an isolated case and somehow he either snuck in when the back screen door was opened by the cat or he jumped in from the door that leads into the garage.
I never kill them. Worse case scenario I get the humane traps and set them free in a field. I used to have mice as pets when I was a kid, I couldnt kill the little fellows.

i too live in a residential area, until then the only time i seen a rat was on TV. I never thought in a million years we would have rats in our neighborhood.....

i was wrong.

humane trapping of rodents and transplanting them is as good as feeding them and inviting them to stay for awhile....