• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

I purchased the Kooto Cutter, here is my review.

Lunatic Taskbar

Kooto Review

The same review with more pictures are in the PDF

This is my first review.

I initial found the kooto whilst searching for a Wall mounted cutter. I was well aware of the prices for various cutters. In the thousands. I found one for sale that was used $650.00 I was quoted from Fedex $750.00 to ship a cutter from the US to me here in Canada. This didn’t include any import duties etc.

I then Saw Kooto post on Signs101 and after looking at the price and the machine I took the plunge. I called Kooto and spoke with Charles. Charles is a great person to speak to, he is very well informed on his cutter. He has been in the sign business for over 20 years started out with a brush! Charles designed the kooto. After speaking with him. I ordered and paid with paypal. All went smoothly. Charles confirmed with me that he had received the payment, and after posting the cutter of to methe next day (I purchased at 8pm my time). He then sent me confirmation that it was indeed on its way. He also said it should take 5 day. This was on Thursday 11th (late) and was shipped on the 12th I received it today the 15th. That was quicker than I was expecting.

The machine arrived very well packaged. Upon cutting the box open, the box opened up to reveal its inner goodies. Before me was the cutter. In 3 pieces as expected. Also included was a tool, a pack of screws and instructions.

So of course being male I didn’t need the instructions after all I knew what I was doing! Initially I slid a piece of corroplast into the cutter and cut it as it was laying on the table. It cut all but 4 inches of it. Hmmm 10 minutes later I decided it probably was better if I read the instructions. Good job I did. The cutter is designed to cut to the end of the substrate but it needs to be put together correctly hence the need for the instructions. I have to say the instructions are very well laid out. Easy to understand. I only had to call Charles at Kooto with one dumb question. The Machine has a bar that holds the substrate into place. The machine is also either right or left handed but I couldn’t see which was which. I would prefer to see something to indicate this either in the instructions or on the cutter it self. A quick call told me all I needed to know. The handle as its shipped goes to the left hand side that’s it setup for right handed people. With minor adjustments the machine can be set up for left hander’s as well.

So now I knew what I was doing. I had a piece of 4x8 of OSD and decided to make that the back board for the cutter. The instructions offer both an A and a B option. I the back board was the B option. After ensuring all was straight and aligned as per the instructions I screwed everything into place. Added supports to the rear. And we were ready to do a test cut. Placing once again coroplast into the machine I did a simple cut. And it cut beautifully. So next step was to get the Tsquare out and to see just how square the cut was. I am very happy to say it was spot on.

Next step was to see what blade it took (kindly noted in the instructions) I but im a curious-kind-a-guy. There is one pin that’s easily pulled out to enable the cutting element to be removed. (as seen in the photo to the left. The pin is above the second “o” in Kooto This slid out smoothly. The blade is then held in with 2 pins. I used a drill piece I had laying around to simply push each one out and the blade simple fell out after that. Very easy no issues what so ever. It didn’t have the blade I was expecting to see. I was honestly expecting a carpet knife/Utility blade. But this one is perfectly adequate. So my curiosity being quenched I immediately put the blade back in. Taking the usual precautions of handling a sharp edge. (kids take note ☺). Again this was a painless thing to do. After the first pin was back in the blade pivoted and was easy to get the second pin in place. So with that now done I measured and installed my new cutter onto the wall. The only place I could put it covered up a never used plug so no issue there. So now the cutter was affixed proudly to the wall. So how would it work in situ.

Well it worked very well. It cut everything I could throw at it. It has a great stop gauge to making repeat cute quickly. I even got a little surprise. To cut you go top to bottom and it works great. However running the blade bottom to top I found that it actually could cut allupanel (to be honest it did take a lot of passes, and its not designed to do that) but it did eventually do it. And at $299 plus shipping and tax it is great cost effective addition to the shop. Am I happy I purchased it? Yes for sure. Would I recommend it yes. Especialy if your starting out and are on a budget and cant spring a couple of thousand for one of the bigger named substrate cutters. Is it well made Yes it does appear to be.

I hope you have enjoyed this review.

Charles can be found at www.kooto.ca where you can find his number.
Tell him Ian sent you from Signs 101. ☺

The same review with more pictures are in the PDF

Ian

Attachments

• Kooto Review.pdf
    558.7 KB · Views: 177
  • DSCN0859.jpg
    DSCN0859.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 234
  • DSCN0866.jpg
    DSCN0866.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 240
  • DSCN0869.jpg
    DSCN0869.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 204
  • DSCN0875.jpg
    DSCN0875.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 205

Lunatic Taskbar

Hi Jim I did buy it directly from Canada. it was the other machine that needed to be imported to me. that cost so much.

As you are the US dealer. whats your thoughts on the machine?

Including the unit all taxes and shipping it was about $380.

Wes70 I dont have any PVC here to try. I don't use much of that at all.

Ian

Lunatic Taskbar

HI Signmeup,

Personally I have only currently tried it on foamcore and corro and the test with Alupanel.

This is directly from their website:

The Canadian made KOOTO cuts non-rigid material, corrugated type up to 3/8", 10mm thick.
Solidly held under pressure of the gliging rails with thin spongy rubber, substrates will not move.
Even small pieces may be cut with clamped-on registers. Also other types of thin soft substrates.

It has a cutting capacity of 52" by 10' long, 1.32 meter by 3.5 meter long. Surface cuts only,
are easy. Simply raise the blade in adjusting the carrier with the back screw. This is very practical
for creating folds for selling displays or for model makers and more. Cutting registers may be
clamped on its base for repetitive production.

The KOOTO is built with aviation type hardened aluminum, assembled with stainless steel
components. It can be mounted for right or left hand use. Its gliding-cutting unit works like a
charm. The operating handles are very comfortable in the hand.

The actual unit blade is easily adjustable in depth with the supplied L-wrench. This reusable blade
is available in any hardware store for replacement after many years of use.

A wall mounting support is required prior to fixing the KOOTO to it. Either use wood or a sheet
4 by 8 Melamine depending on your shop configuration. This is thoroughly described in the
instruction plans.

Your KOOTO is shipped directly to your door from the manufacturer, no intermediate,
for the very low price of $299.99 CDN. (Taxes & shipping extra)
Assembled and ready to mount. Some minor parts easily explained to screw on when unpacking.

Why purchase another costly cutter that offers features you will never use,
when most of your volume production asks for just simple operations. Look all over anywhere,
you will never find any lower price for an offer like this...

And of course, this wonderful KOOTO machine comes with a complete one year warranty.

Ian

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I'd say you like it and you must've bought stock in the machine the way you're talkin' it up. LOL

What's your cut anyways ??

Lunatic Taskbar

I'd say you like it and you must've bought stock in the machine the way you're talkin' it up. LOL

What's your cut anyways ??

LOL Gino.

Sorry I have no stock options lol

But funnily enough when you said what's your cut... all I could think of is its no longer wobbly! LOL

I hated cutting coro across the flutes with a knife and straight edge the knife would always wiggle not deviating from the straight edge but still it would generally look crappy.

:omg2: But apart from that I don't get a cut on any sales at all. :doh:

Ian

FatCat

Great timing! I just posted a thread asking for opinions on the Kooto. It looks like a nice machine, I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on one.

Baz

Smart name for the tool. I guess a bunch of frenchmen wanted to name it for the english market. Kooto ... Sounds exactly like the french name for knife but it is spelled Couteau.

iSign

My apologies for quizzing him on that reply.. On my iPhone before sunrise, I wasn't as attentive to the fine print, such as posting dates etc...

However, I did see the photos and price (& I noticed the model too) the other day, and I've used the Fletcher and another pricey alternative... so, needless to say the price caught my attention, and made me wonder about the quality... so I think a glowing testimonial is a good plus to an already attractive product...