• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need a Mac...

cdiesel

We run PC's here, but I've got one designer who's a diehard Mac guy. He brings his own laptop in to work on, and it's just too old and slow. I'd prefer to do a desktop. The problem is I know NOTHING about Macs. What should I get?

He runs Illy, PS, Indesign.. works on a lot of presentations for us.

Thanks for any recommendations!

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
I can't stand the new IMacs and the shiny screens, but that's what I would get (maybe with a matte screen for a second monitor)

Or just get him a shiny new PC fully loaded with CS5 and tell him to stick it. I'm a Mac guy too, but I can make the program work in either one with only a little adjustment on the keyboard shortcuts...

njshorts

you can get a first gen Xeon dual-dual processor mac pro on ebay for under 1k... this is your best bet. upgradable, inexpensive... I'm about to do the same thing.

cdiesel

Thanks guys. Mike, those iMacs look nice. I don't want to have to mess with upgrading to get it to work right.

No upgrades needed... pull them out of the box put cs5 on them and get them on the WAN/network and into production..

Our IT manager got them into production within a couple hours of UPS delivery and usually he takes days putting his special IT voodoo magic on any and all computers, blackberries and who knows what the hell else....

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
also check on the refurb site at apple. My past 2 Mac purchases were refurbs. A laptop and desktop. Save $300-400 and they are basically new machines that were returned for one reason for another

MikePro

i work on an Imac and my macbook pro, the latter being slightly faster, but both do the job just fine.
however, when I hop on my designer's Mac Pro, boy does it FLY! (at a $3k+ pricetag)

Jack Knight1979

I usually buy macs that 1-2 years old on ebay. they hold their performance and value. They run like champs for years. Unlike a pc that run like a dying donkey after two years.

animenick65

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_mac/family/imac/select

27" Imac. $2gs.. and perfect right out of the box. We just got 4 units for pre press to replace some older g5's. Best bang for your buck hands down.... Even compared to a few Machines that are less than 2 years old they are equal in performance not to mention 27" is nice...

I'm surprised you went with the iMac for prepress given it's glossy screen. It really saturates colors too much depending on viewing angle for my tastes.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
cdiesel said:
We run PC's here, but I've got one designer who's a diehard Mac guy.

I've been through this before with a couple previous employees. You're inviting some irritating PITA situations into your daily operations by running a mixed OS environment. It would be one thing if you had only one designer and next to nothing in terms of existing art files and other assets. If your shop is like most sign shops you have A LOT of art files and assets that are Windows-dependent.

Our company is a PC-based shop. We have way too much invested in platform specific hardware, software to run that industry specific hardware and even a lot of money tied up in platform specific Postscript Type 1 fonts. Throwing a Mac into that situation is essentially adding a layer of incompatibility. The Mac guy is going to be jumping through all kinds of hoops trying to open things like old CorelDRAW files made on a PC. Macs are cool and all that, but not great enough to overcome those pains of jumping platforms.

Anyone can choose to run their own choice of hardware and software on their personal machines at home. It's hard enough for a personal user to "switch" based on the higher costs of hardware and having to repurchase software. It's far more difficult for a company with a fleet of computers and more than 20 years of existing art files to do the same thing.

Any place that has long been a Mac-based shop needs to stay that way. I'd never tell our local newspaper to trash their Macs. They have way too much invested in them and all the industry specific stuff critical to their work flow. Most sign companies that have been in business for a long time are Windows-based. You can't switch from PC to Mac on a lark. Mixing operating systems and computing hardware will compound hardships in purchasing software and merely editing files.

Sticky Signs

Get him a Macbook (about 1300$). That's it. Just a macbook and upgrade the Ram. My first Mac was a macbook and it was great until my wife spilled wine all over the keyboard. I replaced it with one of the new macbook pros (about 3000$). I liked my macbook way better than the pro. The only reason I even have a PC is to run Versaworks. Otherwise, I would be strictly mac. Mind you, I recently bought a new HP PC bundle with Windows 7 for my RIP station. I gotta say, it's pretty sweet with 6gigs of ram, a terabit hard drive and a 24" lcd monitor to boot. I think the monitor is my favourite part so far.

MikePro

In my shop the PCs run the cutter, router, and mimaki printer... along with a dozen or so in our office for sales/staff. Two macs run our design department and we never have any issues.
PCs and Macs see each other on the network just fine. We also bounce files between platforms, across the network, in .eps/.ai/.pdf format and there's never issues opening/saving files in our database. Haven't bothered trying to run my PC-only software via bootcamp, yet, but I'm not that worried about it.
in fact I...
Just bought 2 new PCs today to upgrade our cutter/plotter computers!
AND looking into a new Mac Pro for another design station.

not just from a designer's standpoint, but as a business owners'... Mac's rule. especially these days where college grads are seeking design positions and have spent the last 3+ years being professionally trained on Mac. Sure you can take the "deal with what I got" stance, but maybe taking advantage of what your employees can use to be more efficient isn't such a bad thing either.
but if he's a stink about it... make him eat dirt. you're still the boss.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
Pardon me for getting off on a rant.

I just don't buy whole notion of someone being "professionally trained on Mac." I think it's a bunch of nonsense. That's making the operating systems sound much harder to use than the actual truth. Operating systems are nothing more than the front end of the computer. Install/uninstall programs. Manage your files. Kid's stuff basically. Any novice should be able to use MacOS' Finder or Windows Explorer with little problem. If they can't handle it they're seriously deficient in terms of computer literacy.

The real "meat and potatoes" of the computer's operation are the applications that allow the real work to be done. People run applications on computers. They don't buy a computer just to run the operating system.

Adobe Photoshop is very much the same program regardless of whether it is running in Windows or Mac OSX. Same features, functions and interface. Same goes for Illustrator, InDesign, all the other Adobe apps. The same can be said for many other applications shipping both Mac and PC versions. Then that gets into the tired hyperbole of Windows systems crashing constantly.

If a certain "design school" is primarily teaching students how to use an operating system or computer applications and hardly any on the brain-based stuff (typography, color theory, media communications, agency & studio skills, portfolio, etc.) then that "design school" sucks.

Anyone can learn how to point and click their way around Illustrator and Photoshop. It takes a little something else to be creative and focus that creative talent productively. The most important ingredient to good design isn't the flashy hardware sitting on the desk. It's what sits between the edge of the keyboard and the back of the chair.

Having a Mac doesn't make someone a better designer either. I personally know a recent design college graduate who, frankly, is no artist and is really more of an IT geek than anything else. His employer bought him a $4000 Mac Pro tower, two 24" Apple monitors and a whole lot of software. He's hardly doing anything with it. Most of the company's fliers and other promotional material is generated out of another office in Oklahoma City. We're producing all the motion graphics for their LED sign when this guy could be doing it himself. He can't figure out or won't bother to do it. He has the latest versions of Photoshop, Illustrator and After Effects on his Mac. But his desk sure does look fashionable with that Mac sitting on it.

And that kind of gets to why I think some people gravitate to buying Macs. It's electronic jewelry. Digital fashion. Ever notice how many Macs are shown on desks in movies and TV shows. If that was reality 95% of the world's computers would be Macs. I see far more people hauling MacBooks and iPads around without a case than I do any PC user. Gotta show off that light gray aluminum case with the black Apple logo.

I got a big laugh out of the recent news story of a lady in South Carolina being duped into buying a fake iPad in a McDonald's parking lot. The iPad turned out to be a piece of wood spray painted silver. At least it had an Apple logo on it.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Pardon me for getting off on a rant.

I got a big laugh out of the recent news story of a lady in South Carolina being duped into buying a fake iPad in a McDonald's parking lot. The iPad turned out to be a piece of wood spray painted silver. At least it had an Apple logo on it.
:goodpost:

You sure it was fake?
Maybe it was one of those pre-production models Apple is always "losing" to generate hype right before the new generation ships....

wayne k
guam usa

njshorts

Thanks guys. Mike, those iMacs look nice. I don't want to have to mess with upgrading to get it to work right.

upgrading is a problem? it's simple- leave room for future needs... don't buy something that can't be improved upon easily... it's poor (and expensive!!!) IT planning.

a dual-dual will handle everything a designer needs. buy one with 2 GB ram, but 4-6 more GB for under a hundred USD, it's a great workstation for now. in 3 years, you can upgrade ram easily, add more drives, even upgrade processors... overall, you'll save 50% over buying an imac and save frustration as well as TONS of cash.

garisimo

I am a Mac user, going back to an SE/30 many years ago. I currently use a top of the line iMac for design, and am very productive. That being said, I agree that you should get a PC; your whole shop is PC oriented. It's not difficult to acclimate to Windows (we use both in the shop). Your life will be much easier.

Cheers!