• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Smalts help please

DSC

Wondering if anyone has a suggestion for a smalts glue that will work with Matthews Paint.. ? Looking for someone that has used matthews with a glue and had success.. Thank you in advance.

Techman

get smiths cream
Get some paint of the same color as the smalts
Add a little bit to tint the smiths cream
Lay it on thick
Pour in smalts
Leave set for a day
tip over to pour out excess osmolto
Done.

There a hundred ways to glue the smalts. But only a few really work well and easy.
Whatever you do. Do not paint letter wall or border walls all the way to the top.. Or you will picking smalts off the top edges for hours.

DSC

get smiths cream
Get some paint of the same color as the smalts
Add a little bit to tint the smiths cream
Lay it on thick
Pour in smalts
Leave set for a day
tip over to pour out excess osmolto
Done.

There a hundred ways to glue the smalts. But only a few really work well and easy.
Whatever you do. Do not paint letter wall or border walls all the way to the top.. Or you will picking smalts off the top edges for hours.

Thank you for your reply, much appreciated. However.. I am specifically asking if any one has a known solution for a glue with the Matthews Paint... The issue is I need to matcha pantone, and although I could mix it with ONE SHOT, I prefer to use the Matthews system..

(and I already have the paint mixed!)

Z SIGNS

What Techman said.
We use smiths cream mixed with bulletin 50/50 mix.
Mask off the area where the letters are going, slother on your potion thick, let dry at least overnight, turn panel over to remove the excess smalts,peel the mask this will leave you a pattern for the letters. Screw the letters on from the back.I think the matthews would be to thin.Your going to want your glue to be the consistency of pudding.

DSC

You mean use the Matthews paint as the glue?
I don't think so.

No, I want to mix a paint with a glue to get the color you want the glue to be .. I want to use Matthews Paint.. I am searching for a compatible glue ..

DSC

What Techman said.
We use smiths cream mixed with bulletin 50/50 mix.
Mask off the area where the letters are going, slother on your potion thick, let dry at least overnight, turn panel over to remove the excess smalts,peel the mask this will leave you a pattern for the letters. Screw the letters on from the back.I think the matthews would be to thin.Your going to want your glue to be the consistency of pudding.

Are you talking about Ronan Bulletin Paints or ONE SHOT Bulletin colors.. either way, I am searching for a solution with the Matthew's paints if you might know a glue that is compatible with that brand.. Thanks!

Billct2

Never heard of it being done.
But why? The smalt is going to be what you see, the color is only help hide the glue,the smalt doesn't match the paint and the smalt is what you want the paint color to match, not the background.

DSC

Never heard of it being done.
But why? The smalt is going to be what you see, the color is only help hide the glue,the smalt doesn't match the paint and the smalt is what you want the paint color to match, not the background.[/QUOTE]

Attachments

• Screen shot 2013-02-27 at 2.32.21 PM.png
    Screen shot 2013-02-27 at 2.32.21 PM.png
    174.3 KB · Views: 84

Salmoneye

Why could you not tint the smith's cream with mathews paint? Does smith's cream have white pigment or does it dry clear? Not an answer to your direct question just I thought.

Billct2

If I'm seeing that pic right that is a really bad smalt job, is it glass smalt? Looks like sand. When smalt is properly applied you should see very little background showing through, if any. So the idea for coloring the glue is to match the smalt.

Attachments

• 1photo.JPG
    1photo.JPG
    26.2 KB · Views: 85

DSC

Your pic does not look like smalts. Looks more like sandblasted hdu

The sign s a series 7 flush mount extrusion kit with aluminum faces, painted, with smalts, and pin mounted letters.. they put some HDU trim on to hide the hardware that attaches the faces.

What you see in the pic is the edges of some hdu gold painted letters in the smalts area, the gold border, and the HDU trim. painted..

The lighter areas of the smalts is where it has failed.

We won the bid to replace the whole sign due to someone ramming it for whatever reason..

DSC

Why could you not tint the smith's cream with mathews paint? Does smith's cream have white pigment or does it dry clear? Not an answer to your direct question just I thought.

NAIL ON THE HEAD... trying to find out if the Matthews is compatible with Smith's Cream.

Techman

No, I want to mix a paint with a glue to get the color you want the glue to be .. I want to use Matthews Paint.. I am searching for a compatible glue ..

I just posted.. USE some FRIGGIN PAINT WITH SMITHS CREAM>>
SMITHS CREAM>is the glue...
Any friggin paint that matches the color you want to MERELY tint the smiths cream,, which is the glue. The color is just barely there.

DSC

If I'm seeing that pic right that is a really bad smalt job, is it glass smalt? Looks like sand. When smalt is properly applied you should see very little background showing through, if any. So the idea for coloring the glue is to match the smalt.

The sign has been up for a while, It is definitely Smalts .. This is probably ten years plus old.. plus someone nailed it good in this area with there car ..

I getcha BILLct2 - Thanks for the input.

DSC

I just posted.. USE some FRIGGIN PAINT WITH SMITHS CREAM>>
SMITHS CREAM>is the glue...
Any friggin paint that matches the color you want to MERELY tint the smiths cream,, which is the glue. The color is just barely there.

Thanks, and I understand that you need to use a paint to tint the glue, and I know Smiths is the glue.. But I was trying to make sure that Smiths will cure properly while using an Acrylic Polyurethane Paint..

For example: you need to use an Alkyd paint in order for HoldFast smalts glue to cure properly, using anything else will inhibit the curing process.. so, ONE SHOT, works well with that ..

There is very little information to be found about Smith's cream, and what type of paints it is compatible with.. I was asking if anyone had an answer for a glue that works with Matthews (acrylic polyurethane) paints specifically, because that is what we use.. and what I have mixed to match the sign that is on site we are replacing ..

So, to not rephrase the question..

Wondering if anyone has a suggestion for a smalts glue that will work with Matthews Paint.. ? Looking for someone that has used matthews with a glue and had success..

I'm not familiar with the "FRIGGIN" Paint brand .. anyone? ;)

Last edited:

Marlene

go to a paint store that can do a PMS match, get a good enamel , oil based paint the color you want, then do the Smiths Cream. as it has been said, smiths's cream is the glue. I don't use Mathews paint so not much help, sorry.

DSC

mix some and see if its dry tomorrow?

go to a paint store that can do a PMS match, get a good enamel , oil based paint the color you want, then do the Smiths Cream. as it has been said, smiths's cream is the glue. I don't use Mathews paint so not much help, sorry.

@jhill - that is probably what I'll have to do , some in house testing. Thanks!

@Marlene - I can do PMS Match here, I already mixed the paint prior to researching whether or not it will work (oops!), so that is why I reached out to the forum, to see if someone has used the smith's(or any glue)/matthews combo..