• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Still practicing...am I getting any better?

Just like the title says, I've been taking in as much as I can from you guys here on :signs101: and was wondering if those of you who have been following my work think I'm getting any better. Either way, let me know what you think I can improve on. Jillbeans, if your reading this...you told me to buy a book and I was just curious what the name of it was. I thought I purchased it off amazon but I guess I didn't complete my order. :thankyou:

Attachments

• logo 2.png
    logo 2.png
    46.2 KB · Views: 223
  • logo.png
    logo.png
    56.3 KB · Views: 187
  • logo 4.png
    logo 4.png
    21.1 KB · Views: 172

iSign

well, I can't respond to the "am I getting any better" part, because I don't recall whatever other threads may have preceeded this one, but I can offer some feedback.
I can also guess that Jill suggested Mastering layout by Mike Stevens,,, although on the logo design topic, it might have also been one (or both) of Dan Antonelli's Logo Design for Small Business books..

Regarding the designs, I don't think you are very far along the right track on any of them, but I personally think the middle one could be a starting place...

I think the level of realism in the truck illustration is in complete contrast with the uninspired typography. and I also wonder if you are using clip art. I have used clipart in logos, though in less prominent ways... but I've also learned here that this will never give your client the level of 'ownership" they should expect. A competitor could buy the same art, put his initials on it & your client could do little to nothing about it.

Anyway, if you illustrated a very simple foreshortened truck in a similar 3/4 view, and worked a bit harder to make the name into an easily read "primary" element, and let the simple illustration fall back into a secondary level of importance, I think it is possible to work with layout #2 and end up with something very nice...

shakey0818

well, I can't respond to the "am I getting any better" part, because I don't recall whatever other threads may have preceeded this one, but I can offer some feedback.
I can also guess that Jill suggested Mastering layout by Mike Stevens,,, although on the logo design topic, it might have also been one (or both) of Dan Antonelli's Logo Design for Small Business books..

Regarding the designs, I don't think you are very far along the right track on any of them, but I personally think the middle one could be a starting place...

I think the level of realism in the truck illustration is in complete contrast with the uninspired typography. and I also wonder if you are using clip art. I have used clipart in logos, though in less prominent ways... but I've also learned here that this will never give your client the level of 'ownership" they should expect. A competitor could buy the same art, put his initials on it & your client could do little to nothing about it.

Anyway, if you illustrated a very simple foreshortened truck in a similar 3/4 view, and worked a bit harder to make the name into an easily read "primary" element, and let the simple illustration fall back into a secondary level of importance, I think it is possible to work with layout #2 and end up with something very nice...
:goodpost:
With this design you are really putting yourself out there,you will get many different responses.Listen to the pros like Doug and try not to listen to the negative comments.Doug's suggestions are those i have heard many times for the beginners.Those are what made many here so good at what they do.Gl

:goodpost:
With this design you are really putting yourself out there,you will get many different responses.Listen to the pros like Doug and try not to listen to the negative comments.Doug's suggestions are those i have heard many times for the beginners.Those are what made many here so good at what they do.Gl

Thanks for the input, and yes I was using clip, but your right. I'm going to take number 2's design and run with it. Make my own artwork for the semi and see what i can do. :thankyou:

iSign

had an idea to draw the truck leaving instead of arriving... and use the back & side for lettering...

OR, picture this logo below, but with the JTZ all on the side, like yours...

AND THEN... this entire circular logo drawn on the back of the truck (with a drawing of a truck on it, with a logo on that truck)

jtz.jpg

Jillbeans

iSign listed the books I recommended.
You need to learn about typography.
In example number 3 you are using a font which makes most of us cringe.
And why the odd ghostly drop shadow on #2?
Just because you can use special effects doesn't mean you have to.
A layout needs to be able to stand alone in simple black and white before you begin to discreetly tart it up with color and shading.
Your stuff all looks like it's trying to be cool but only appears to be trendy, not classic.
This book might help too.
Even studying modern trends in design on food labels or in magazine ads is a good way to learn what works well and what looks appealing. But not always.
Don't pay attention to the Fellers catalog at all.
:)
Love....Jill

Stevo

Here's a monday morning quickie suggestion.
Truck Lettering will always be my fav to design.
Something that has always bothered me is putting an illustration of a truck on a truck.
Great suggestions above!

Stevo

PS. All fonts are from signfonts.com

Attachments

• JTZ.JPG
    JTZ.JPG
    135.3 KB · Views: 159

laserman70

Get the books. I refer to mine all the time.
I still struggle and everyone here helps me out.
It takes time and practice. When I first started couple people here told me to give it up.
Don't get discouraged. Some people here can be harsh but in the end listen to the constructive criticism it will make you a better designer, and ignore the bozos.
Alot of great people and designers here, most are willing to give honest opinions.
The books will help you, they are worth their weight in gold to me.
Good luck

laserman70

Something that has always bothered me is putting an illustration of a truck on a truck.
Great suggestions above!

Stevo

Great stuff, nice design

John Butto

Stevo's design looks like what richdesignsinc.com in NJ has been doing for years. I think what ISign is doing is great because he is taking an idea and moving to a higher level with new techniques which moves to the future of new design.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Stevo,

Awesome design...the only thing missing is the comma between Manhattan and Kansas.

JB

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Darkside, you need to practice and a lot of it, too. This stuff doesn't come to you overnight. There are so many elements connected with completing a nice design or layout. Take Steve's or Doug's.... they're using space, both positive and negative, to their advantage while creating some tension areas. Steve also brings to the table some nice color combinations. They're tried and true colors...... and like a basic tuxedo, will never go out of style. Understanding fonts and their usage is good to know. Weight and balance will help with parts and knowing certain fundamental drawing techniques is a sure winner in perspective.

Merely overusing effects from a software package does not mean 'looks good'. It just muddies the water and still spells junk. You need to know why and how to use most special effects and until you master the basics, let the effects button alone.

Design when at all possible in black & white to see if your creations will indeed stand up on their own.

Good Luck..........................​

iSign

I see the point regarding truck pics on trucks, but I've seen some nice trucking companies that don't have a problem with that, and the logo still becomes a branding element that doesn't require "reading" or focusing on the graphic to subconsciously absorb the intended marketing impression...

And these logos get used in a multitude of other advertising media, besides the owners trucks, so it's not entirely redundant to use that image. I certainly don't go there as a rule, but a handful of trucking companies have asked for this, so I figured the OP may have been asked the same...

The truckers I've done logos for with trucks in then, put graphics on pick-ups too, so the big rig graphic sends an important message. Actually, when you think about it, 9 out of 10 trucks on the road are NOT selling "trucking" they are selling chips, beer, linen etc... So, trucks you can hire to provide trucking do not always stand out in the crowd...

...that said, I gotta agree that Stevo's logo is a print ready example of excellence!

Dan Antonelli

Great suggestions above!

Stevo

Hot!

Thanks again for all the input guys. And as far as the effects go, I'm just getting used to AI and learning what everything does and how to use it. Everything I do right now is just practice and learning what looks good and doesn't from all of you. All the input is beyond what I could expect and I is continuing to help, it may not show yet but I will get there one day. Also, I am getting the books you've recommended and will learn all I can from them! Can't wait till there here. Also, thanks for posting your ideas. It is very helpful to see what someone with experience comes up with and what there ideas and thoughts are. I'm gonna head to bed but thanks again everyone!