• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Told I was Too High?

Justin

Heya,

I was wondering, what your alls opinions are on charging $.05/sq inch for vinyl cutting?

I figure this gives me enough to cover application tape+vinyl+my own misc charges(electric+wear/tear, etc..)?

I changed it to sq inch. Shew! You guys really come in packs! :p

Last edited:

HaroldDesign

I'd charge by the minute. How long does each sheet take, and what would you need to charge for it to be worth it?

J Hill Designs

rofl. All I can say.

Edit: I have a file that is 4 sq ft of individual 1/4" lettering spelling out the declaration of independance - I'll send you a check as soon as I recieve it. - 20cents, right?

genericname

Heya,

I was wondering, what your alls opinions are on charging $.05/sq ft for vinyl cutting?

I figure this gives me enough to cover application tape+vinyl+my own misc charges(electric+wear/tear, etc..)?

You forgot one thing in your equation: profit.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I'd like 1,500 signs.... 4" x 8" which say........ We don't make any money.

I'd like 300 blue, 400 red, 250 white, 375, yellow, 150 orange reflective and 25 reverse cut in etched dust. I'd like to pick them up by the end of tomorrow and I have a credit card.

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
it happens, your price will never be low enough, the customer can 'buy a whole roll of vinyl for that much', 'the guy down the street can do it for half that', etc etc etc. I have a sign in the shop that I point to in those cases. "you pay for experience and skill" and they sit down and start being reasonable half the time.

CS-SignSupply-TT

As you grow into the sign business

Heya,

I was wondering, what your alls opinions are on charging $.05/sq ft for vinyl cutting?

Justin, I am sorry for your struggles. However, these growing pains are to be expected. Check out SIGN CRAFT magazine http://www.signcraft.com/home.aspx -AND- SIGN BUILDER ILLUSTRATED magazine http://www.signshop.com/ Both magazines offer a library of pricing guides and how to's. The pricing guides are averages only. But, the information will be very helpful.

Also, have your mom, sister, aunt, or girlfriend (on non-business phone) call a couple of the shops in the area and ask for a quote on a 3 x 8 GRAND OPENING banner. That way you will begin to see what the local market will bear.

ucmj22

.05¢ for cut vinyl? Who's your supplier, and where can I get some? That doesnt even come close to covering your costs..... it must be a typo

Techman

I think its time for you to attend a few business classes at the local training center.
In all sincerity. If charging that amount is even a remote thought you need another year of business schooling for sure.
A pricing guide wil get you an idea where to start.. But, a pricing guide will never make up for your inexperience at this point in your business life..

Some accounting classes. with economics and marketing will do you justice.

TheSnowman

I can't tell you how many times I've taken off my jeans and tshirt, and put on my business suit, and driven to the beach, gotten out a chair, and then sat and worked on my laptop right there on the spot. Signvox is SO awesome for that.
attachment.php

Attachments

• vox.jpg
    vox.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 185
J

john1

I can't tell you how many times I've taken off my jeans and tshirt, and put on my business suit, and driven to the beach, gotten out a chair, and then sat and worked on my laptop right there on the spot. Signvox is SO awesome for that.
attachment.php

It does help with pricing and to get you on the right track, Way to criticize a great product the wrong way.

jkdbjj

Guys I think he meant, that he is adding an additional 5 cents to the charge of whatever the letters are. In others words, let's say 5.00/sqft for the vinyl and a 5 cent charge for using the cutter. total 5.05/sqft

Still a bad way to approach the product, but I think that has to be what he is saying.

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
Jeez ... this thread jinxed me ... had my normal share of tire kickers ... next guy right after my reply told me that $45 for a 6"x3' graphic installed was overpriced and was a general jack *** ... still got the graphics ... but next time I see this dude ... i'm charging twice that.

But I love being told that what I do requires no skill and I shouldn't charge for my time.

TheSnowman

Way to criticize a great product the wrong way.
Not trying to criticize...I can't say either way as I've never even heard of it, let alone used it. I just saw the picture of someone in a business suit holding a laptop on a beach in a lawn chair...you can't tell me that isn't SLIGHTLY random.

Justin

WOW! Shew you guys are quick to the punch! I do mean 5 cents/sq inch.

I really didn't think i'd get the outpouring like this! =)

So.. now that you all said your peice.. $.05/sq inch = good, or bad?

I'll hide... now! ;P