• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What cutter, CHEAP

BryanDowdy

I have a welding business and always needs signs and stickers. So I wanted to get a cutter so I could just make what I needed when I needed it. This will not be used for production work by any means. I'm only wanting to spend a few hundred dollars. Is this possible? Thanks

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Get a few hundred packs of Xacto knife blades with a few handles. That shouldn't cost much more than $150.00 Is that cheap enough for ya ??

Oh.... and welcome to :signs101: from PA.............

Shovelhead

Hire a professional.
I don't do my own welding!
:cool:

In a year it will be "I decided to start a sign business doing small banners...etc."

MrKoob

EBay, or see if one of the vendors like SignWarehouse, Ordway, or JSI has anything cheap. Nothing personal, but a lot of the sign makers on here will get "up-in-arms" when someone not in the Sign industry is looking for a cheap alternative. It would be like me (someone without welding experience, or not eager to learn about it) asking if you knew where I could get a cheap welding rig so I could save a few hundred bucks on my next project.

jiarby

Find you a sign guy that needs welding.

BTW..

I am thinking of making a BBQ smoker, not for commercial purposes.. just for personal use (me and buddies). Can you recommend a cheap stick welder..maybe $150 or so. Also.. do you know where I can get wholesale steel?

Last edited:

autodoc

Let the flames begin

I went through e-bay -- got this as a hobby -- I don't want another business!!!

Got a PCUT 25" Vinyl Sticker Cutter with SignBlazer and stand for about $275.00.

I have no intention of taking business away from the "real" sign guys (except my own) if these "real" sign guys have a problem with that - so be it!! If they want to manage there own self storage - go for it - you wont here any arguments form me.

I hope you find something that will work for you -- and ignore these idiots -- if they needed to do some small welding they would go to Sears and buy a buzzbox and burn their house down before spending money on a professional.

Just my 2 cents worth.

And yes I don't post much (yet) I also don't ask a lot of questions - I just read a lot!

Last edited:

njsigns

I have no intention of taking business away from the "real" sign guys (except my own) if these "real" sign guys have a problem with that - so be it!! ..... and ignore these idiots -- if they needed to do some small welding they would go to Sears and buy a buzzbox and burn their house down before spending money on a professional... And yes I don't post much (yet) I also don't ask a lot of questions - I just read a lot!

I have to wonder why you read so much of what these "real" sign guys post - especially after you advise to "ignore these idiots"? You don't ask a lot of questions, and after an introduction like that, I can't imagine that if you did ask - that you'd get much help. Great intro autodoc!

:U Rock:
"Just my 2 cents worth."

Gene

Techman

I have to wonder about these types of posts. I wonder if they are a salesman trying to drun up business? I think they are.

I went through e-bay -- got this as a hobby -- I don't want another business!!!

Got a PCUT 25" Vinyl Sticker Cutter with SignBlazer and stand for about $275.00....BLAH BLAH BLAH

welderman...
have a professional sign guy do em for ya.. After you spend a couple of grand on the rig you will never earn it back making stuff for yourself.

Its the same thing at my house. I could spend a couple of grand getting set up to cut my own grass. But why? i can pay $25 each time to have some pro do it. Even my times is worth more than that an hour. And I am not busy..

It would take a few years paying someone that make the difference. So I pay to have it done. Same with making your own stickers. Plus if you purchase some el cheapo hobby casula use machine it will haunt you more than you know. There is an active thread right now using this BB as a FREE tech support with some innocent noob who cannot get his machine running.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Hey autodoc….

With a title bar like…. ‘Let the flames begin’…. seems more that YOU want to start something rather than your poor excuse that old idiots are trying to burn their houses down. Believe it or not…. It’s usually the stupid people like yourself that are trying to cut corners and getting their paws on something they know nothing about is what gets one into trouble.

How on earth could you post anything as you put it ?? You admitted you know nothing about this industry, you don’t have a spec of equipment and therefore probably don’t have much more than a notion that you’d like to get into something you can’t do and try ruining something for someone else at their expense. Way to go….. autie.

If everyone used your rationalization, there would be no business for anyone. You’re the true blue DIY’er. Your theory states you do everything on your own no matter how inept you are at it and cut the professionals out. I pity your wife when you build her a vacuum cleaner or decide to install the shower on the third floor without someone that knows what they’re doing do it. You’re a real all-around ‘American’ jerk with that kind of attitude. Maybe you could conjure up a meal tonight for your wifey and the kids over a pit fire…. because you sure don’t want to use a grill made by anyone else from Sears and blow yourself up there Kiddo…...

Really….. where do these people come from ??​

autodoc

I have to wonder about these types of posts. I wonder if they are a salesman trying to drun up business? I think they are.

welderman...
have a professional sign guy do em for ya.. After you spend a couple of grand on the rig you will never earn it back making stuff for yourself.

:Oops:

Did you not bother reading his post about having a "pro" that was not able to do the job the way he needed it done? I guess you guys are too busy bashing people who see this as an interesting hobby.
I guess if you are that insecure about your abilities you should really fear possible competition - epically from people that live not only in a different city, but on the other side of the country!!!
Back when I was a Master Certified Auto Technician I welcomed competition - my customers would see the work and customer service that was provided by the others and come back to me every time!
It's because of people like you that I don't post on Signs 101 -- an attitude like that is great for driving business away!

Bryan - keep up the good work and don't let these guys get you down! If they get too much do a Google search for other sign forums -- I have found other locations that are better and don't bash newbies!!!

I would love to see some of your work.

autodoc

Hey autodoc….

With a title bar like…. ‘Let the flames begin’…. seems more that YOU want to start something rather than your poor excuse that old idiots are trying to burn their houses down. Believe it or not…. It’s usually the stupid people like yourself that are trying to cut corners and getting their paws on something they know nothing about is what gets one into trouble.

How on earth could you post anything as you put it ?? You admitted you know nothing about this industry, you don’t have a spec of equipment and therefore probably don’t have much more than a notion that you’d like to get into something you can’t do and try ruining something for someone else at their expense. Way to go….. autie.

If everyone used your rationalization, there would be no business for anyone. You’re the true blue DIY’er. Your theory states you do everything on your own no matter how inept you are at it and cut the professionals out. I pity your wife when you build her a vacuum cleaner or decide to install the shower on the third floor without someone that knows what they’re doing do it. You’re a real all-around ‘American’ jerk with that kind of attitude. Maybe you could conjure up a meal tonight for your wifey and the kids over a pit fire…. because you sure don’t want to use a grill made by anyone else from Sears and blow yourself up there Kiddo…...

Really….. where do these people come from ??​

This is getting to be too fun!! Where do you get all the information you put in your post? It surly was not from anything I said!!
My intention was not to "start something" but was to let Bryan know that there are options out there that may fill his needs as the nearest "sign guy" is not able to do the job to his liking, but you guys are so hell bent on driving everyone out of this field.

I did not get a plotter to do work for others - I got it as a hobby for myself - period -- end of story!!! I also do graphics and web design as a hobby -- I am not out there trying to take business away from the web design guys. I am not out there trying to take business away from the graphics guys.
I am not out there trying to take business away from you guys.
I am doing this for my own enjoyment! I know that is hard for you guys to grasp, but that is the way it is.

OldPaint

I have a welding business and always needs signs and stickers. So I wanted to get a cutter so I could just make what I needed when I needed it. This will not be used for production work by any means. I'm only wanting to spend a few hundred dollars. Is this possible? Thanks
to reprase this so you can understand it.....

I have a SIGN business and always need WELDING AND METAL WORK. So I wanted to get a WELDER & METAL WORKING TOOLS so I could just make what I needed when I needed it. This will not be used for production work by any means. I'm only wanting to spend a few hundred dollars. Is this possible? )))))))))))))))))
NOW YOU GET IT??????
heres what an IDIOT WITH AN ARC WELDER GETS......when welding without a shirt!!!!!!!!
joesunburn.jpg

i can just image the dumb stuff you can do with a plotter and vinyl)))))))))

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
Did you not bother reading his post about having a "pro" that was not able to do the job the way he needed it done?

actually he said he just wanted to make stickers that he wanted when he needed...not that a sign guy wouldn't make the stickers how he wanted them

I guess you guys are too busy bashing people who see this as an interesting hobby.

i personally don't see this as a hobby because it's what i do for a living

I welcomed competition - my customers would see the work and customer service that was provided by the others and come back to me every time!

then be my guest to buy a machine and make "stickers" for other people...i'll be happy to help the customer you make run away with a horrible design

I would love to see some of your work.

i would too.....just as soon as i decide to weld something and post it to show just how atrocious it is

i have no problem helping someone that's coming into the sign industry either as a "hobby," second business, or full time business...hell, if it weren't for other people i wouldn't be here....i do have a problem with someone that thinks they can make "stickers" and sell them without any knowledge of typography, sign design, design software, or i don't know the MACHINES ...i'm not going to go out an buy an arch welder because i need a little welding done around the house for the simple fact that i'll probably cause great bodily harm to myself because i have no idea how to use an arch welder....

autodoc

I give up

You win.

I do not wish to be associated with people who can not answer simple questions without sarcasm.

If the owner of this board is watching please remove my information from this forum.

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
You win.

I do not wish to be associated with people who can not answer simple questions without sarcasm.

If the owner of this board is watching please remove my information from this forum.

i'm not being sarcastic...only trying to explain why i don't like being called an idiot