• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Wrap layout

Kevin-shopVOX

I was contacted by an out-of-state sign co. who wants to outsource their overflow work. My guess is the stuff that takes up a lot of time for quick turn-around shops such as logo design and wraps. They wanted to test my creativity before they send anything. Typically I don't usually do freebies but I'm taking a leap of faith that I will see some moolah in the future. The sample they wanted a test on was conveniently for their business. (maybe their designer was having a block and they needed an idea...I dunno I'm just hoping I don't get burned by wasting my time) Anyway, they wanted a vector design with that trendy vector/texture feel. This is what I came up with. Any feed back/constructive criticism would be great. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• TRK_wrap.jpg
    TRK_wrap.jpg
    187.6 KB · Views: 88

Pat Whatley

It's gonna be useless. You're stuck with a bad logo design to work with and you've made it so small it's going to be pointless. How big is the business name....3"? Smaller?

The stripe you're showing running over the roof doesn't match what runs down the back window. Why? You're going to end up with a butt ugly seam in the graphics that way.

I hate information being curved over the wheels. Nothing else conforms to that curve, why should the web address?

And while I'm at it I think the phone number needs to be divided up as (222) 222-2222 instead of 222-222-2222. That's just a personal preference but you asked...lol.

SignManiac

Hate to seem harsh, I'm usually the sensitive type, but I have to agree with Pat. It looks like a thousand other wrap designs I've seen. Did you use a template?

Kevin-shopVOX

SignManiac I like Pat's point of view. I'm thick skinned and appreciate constructive criticism. I can't think of a better place to get advice to make the work better. I didn't use a template but just some random shapes. I'm aware of the seams and probably should reverse the direction. Logo is very tough to work with but you are right I should at least give it the common courtesy of being able to be read in the parking lot. Muchas gracias amigos.

GypsyGraphics

Excuse me?????
Wow, i have a question for just about every sentence in your post, each punctuated with a red flag.

In short.... An out-of-state sign company, would like a quick turn-around on a free wrap design, supplied as a vector file and your hoping you won't get burned by wasting your time?

Please tell me you at least plan to send them a low res proof for review, along with a note that says, if they find your work suits their needs, the vector file is available for purchase at a cost of $____.

You know you're suspicious... trust your suspicions!

weaselboogie

I think Gypsy's right. They're dangling a carrot in hopes that you might follow. The "test" that you're giving them as a freebie should be this thumbnail as a preview of your work. If they like what they see, then they can buy the final version in vector format. Keep in mind that their designer might just be good enough to reproduce what you have designed... money is harder to collect if its across state lines.

How many other shops do you think they might have contacted too?

signgal

unprofessional practices aside and speaking strictly about the design... the only thing I see when I open this is the bold yellow lines. I guess I'm outta the loop cuz I dunno what "trendy vector/texture feel" is but I do know those bold, sleek lines don't mesh with the organic, flowing scroll stuff on the blue. When I have a horrible logo to work with, I emphasize the product. Beef up the product list. I'm with Pat on the curved lettering and lines not matching on roof... and why put the logo smack dab in between the doors? It's small and fits right on the door...

Marlene

they want to "test" you? send them to your website's portfolio page and tell them that you don't do "tests", you are an established sign company and this is what you have done.

Kevin-shopVOX

Excuse me?????
Wow, i have a question for just about every sentence in your post, each punctuated with a red flag.

In short.... An out-of-state sign company, would like a quick turn-around on a free wrap design, supplied as a vector file and your hoping you won't get burned by wasting your time?

Please tell me you at least plan to send them a low res proof for review, along with a note that says, if they find your work suits their needs, the vector file is available for purchase at a cost of $____.

No, I would never send a vector file or even a hi-res file. I was born at night but not last night. They are fully aware of the price should they want working files. I took a chance on gaining business, that cost me some Call of Duty time in the wee hours of the evening. If nothing else comes of it at least I've gained valuable insight from folks like yourselves on the critique of the layout which is what I was looking for. It will help me for future jobs as I keep these things in mind.

Looking on the bright side I also know that my SEO efforts are working.

WrapperX

Excuse me?????

Exactly what I was thinking!

And as it stands - I think I've seen these guys (DeSigns) on here posting stuff about their work.
Don't send them anything in a vector workable format! This sounds like they want some free work done...

Kevin-shopVOX

Exactly what I was thinking!

And as it stands - I think I've seen these guys (DeSigns) on here posting stuff about their work.
Don't send them anything in a vector workable format! This sounds like they want some free work done...

I just want it to be known to everyone reading this thread....I AM NOT GIVING FREE ARTWORK AWAY IN THE FORM OF WORKABLE FILES. Thank you for your concerns on how to run a healthy business. Could they redesign it based on the look sure they could. I simply had some time to kill and invested that into an opportunity that might make some money in the future. If they don't want it I'm still in a better place as I got more practice in.

Marlene

How exactly did a sign shop in Virginia end up trying to get a guy in Maine to do their design work?

that does sound strange. could be no one around them will deal with them.

signgal

my step sis is an FBI agent stationed right there... maybe they need investigating... mwahahahahaha!

Kevin-shopVOX

that does sound strange. could be no one around them will deal with them.

Maybe...or perhaps they wanted to outsource some of things that take up a lot of their time, money, and energy, get a wholesale price and then mark it up to the customer (none of us make money on stuff we don't produce in house right? Such an odd concept to outsource, be a middle man and make money). Then use that gained time to focus on the stuff that they are most profitable in. So they went to Google, did a search and found a resource (and again none of us have ever Googled something, and done business with another business that showed up in the results even though they might be able to get the same thing down the street), inquired and the rest is to be determined.

Everyone is so skeptical - try and learn or try and succeed. Either way you win.

Marlene

Everyone is so skeptical - try and learn or try and succeed. Either way you win.

it's because we watch out for each other around here...if you would like to be put on the "we could care less" list, just let us know.

dwt

If you just want more practice and don't have a dollar value associated with your time, go for it.

If you have a family to feed send them an invoice for $500 to start a design.