• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Your Physical Health

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
I'm a white American, I got married to a Chinese girl
I remember you sharing that before... But like Tex I have so many questions. About what it's like for an American citizen living there. Must require a lot more respect for culture and way of life than would be expected here in the melting pot.
Thanks for sharing more I appreciate it

ChicagoGraphics

I remember you sharing that before... But like Tex I have so many questions. About what it's like for an American citizen living there. Must require a lot more respect for culture and way of life than would be expected here in the melting pot.
Thanks for sharing more I appreciate it
Ask me all the questions you like, I will answer them

ChicagoGraphics

Theyre more lax on foreigners saying bad stuff on the internet than locals - That said if he lives there... My guess is he's on a VPN so he doesn't get in trouble.

My inlaws still live in china - They mentioned Covid on wechat while talking to the wife... And their account got banned for a week. When he came back he did it again... And security showed up at his door making him sign a statement he wont write false things about Covid anymore (He didnt even say anything bad... Just mentioned Covid is going around in the city and hospitals are full).

I've been to china a dozen or so times... I can say some areas are as bad as the news makes them out to be! A lot may not be, all the international hotspots like hong kong / Beijing are a bit more free... It's not like you'll get shot, or the cops will just arrest you for saying something bad, It isnt Dangerous per say, but when in China you can really feel the freedoms you enjoy in USA are non existant.

They are very restrictive - Our inlaws cant even get out more than 20K In Currency a year out of China....Imagine Biden telling you guys you cant spend your money overseas and it all has to stay in America.
About the 20k limit your inlaws can take out of China that goes for most countries, when I visit the US they only allow 10k in cash to bring in. What part of China are your inlaws from

netsol

TO MY THINKING, there is something wrong with a doctor who feels that ."losing 3% of your arm strength" is worthy of an announcement. IAM NOT CRITICIZING YOU but this sounds like a doctor who is a professional witness for compensation hearings. I think you deserves a lot of credit, for making a complete recovery. 3% would have to be within the margin of error

netsol

And what did he gave to compare thus to, since, I assume he did not know you, before the injury?
Sorry if I assume too much.

petepaz

at 53 i have always been active whether in my job or extra curricular activities so i do have my share of injuries in my history. (back injuries/surgery, shoulder tears, quad tear, hernias, breaks/dislocations......)
you definitely need to take care of injuries so they don't get worse but you also need to stay active if you want to continue to be able to handle a physical job like we have.
"body in motion stays in motion" as corny as that may sound its 100% true. you are a machine just like a printer, car or any other equipment you use and if it sits idle it tends to break down quicker and more often.
you need to have a balance of healthy diet and exercise if you want to live a good life. you don't have to go nuts but everything in moderation. go for walks, try to limit the processed crap, eat meats fruits and veggies, stay hydrated, take a multi vitamin (get enough vit D), stretching or yoga.
even if you can get 20-30 minutes of exercise 3x a week will make a drastic impact (if you can get 20-30min a day that would be even better)
with all that said i manage to put in like 60hrs a week, get up at 4:30am work out 3-4x a week, play golf/basketball and i am the official jungle gym for my grand kids so trying to stay healthy and go a long way.
but as far as retirement, based on the speed at which my family spends our money i don't see retirement anytime soon...haha

ikarasu

About the 20k limit your inlaws can take out of China that goes for most countries, when I visit the US they only allow 10k in cash to bring in. What part of China are your inlaws from
They're in Nanjing.

And you can bring in, or take out whatever you want from USA, or Canada - not sure about other countries. You just have to report it... They want to make sure you're not laundering money.

I cross into the us often with 20-30k, they ask why it's for... And if it doesnt sound suspicious, no further questions. I believe once I was asked where I got the cash from and they asked to see a bank statement to prove it was mine.

Same with the business I work for - we do 50-100k a year in purchases from USA.... Never an issue. I don't think China has issues with business's spending money overseas?

But, there is no limit to USA / Canada, they will lnever stop a legit transaction - the 10k thing is just a reporting thing to prevent money laundering.

Stacey K

I like making signs
I'm only 49 and I have arthritis in my knees per my last doctor visit. I can't kneel very long and if I do I have to wear knee pads. I bought a platform type ladder and it's helped tremendously for lettering trailers and cube trucks. I'm pretty active outside of work, I have a lot of hobbies. I would say I'm much more active than most people I know - mostly busy work but I do my own snow and grass, landscaping, etc.

The mental health for me is more of an issue. It is difficult working alone each day especially when there is a crabby customer or something goes wrong. There's nobody to vent to. I feel very blessed that I've stayed so busy but at the same time, it's mentally draining day in and day out, working at full-speed, going home knowing that the next day is the same. Two sign shops have closed in my vicinity over the last few months. Both owned/operated by women and both locked the doors because they could not handle the stress of the fast pace. Neither of them will answer the phone/email for customers to get their artwork. They both litterally got mad and locked the door and never returned a single phone call or email. Now, many of those customers have come to me. And they are crabby because I don't have their artwork and they have to wait for service.

Last week a large company came in Monday. He said a lady was retiring that day so I needed to go there Tuesday and re-do two frosted glass doors with new names, etc. I said...the rest of my week is booked and I don't even have the vinyl in-stock. He said, "It's December, you aren't busy. It took the other sign shop 10 minutes and she was done. She always came the next day." I told him, he has to wait - he was pissed (and who is this guy to tell me I'm not busy in December?). Almost every new customer has been this demanding and crabby. It had become quite depressing for me over the last month, constant arguing, constant interruptions, saying no, etc., trying to get artwork, explain things, people can really be jerks.

However, there is a silver lining, a few of these new customers came in a few months ago already and were basically kissing my a$$ to try and fit them in. They both turned into great customers and the customers they have recommended to me have been great to work with also. I just need to weed out the bad ones and focus on the good ones, which I'm working on doing going forward into the new year. And my January is booked already with vehicles but tomorrow is my last vehicle of the year and the next couple weeks I scheduled very little so I can enjoy Christmas and breathe a bit.

There's my vesting for the week, I feel better now! LOL

Johnny Best

Stacy, I listen to Bach on Pandora all day when I am working. I like working alone with no one around. And Merry Christmas you filthy animal.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
The mental health for me is more of an issue. It is difficult working alone each day especially when there is a crabby customer or something goes wrong. There's nobody to vent to. I feel very blessed that I've stayed so busy but at the same time, it's mentally draining day in and day out, working at full-speed, going home knowing that the next day is the same. Two sign shops have closed in my vicinity over the last few months. Both owned/operated by women and both locked the doors because they could not handle the stress of the fast pace. Neither of them will answer the phone/email for customers to get their artwork. They both litterally got mad and locked the door and never returned a single phone call or email. Now, many of those customers have come to me. And they are crabby because I don't have their artwork and they have to wait for service.
Befriend other small business owners that you get along with and make it a point to shoot the shit with them on a regular basis. That is what keeps me sane and lessens burnout. The saying of "it is lonely at the top" is very real.

gnubler

Befriend other small business owners that you get along with and make it a point to shoot the shit with them on a regular basis. That is what keeps me sane and lessens burnout. The saying of "it is lonely at the top" is very real.
Some local business owners set up a weekly walk on Wednesday mornings, I try to make it when I can. It's a good avenue to bitch about customers & business challenges, plus some exercise.

I'm in good physical health, mental health not so much. Dealing with the people is probably what will end up destroying me, if I don't destroy them first. A few in particular, like Stacey's current d!ck customers.

Today my fingers and thumb joints are killing me from too much squeegee action on some big signs, hopefully it will pass when the project is done.

They're in Nanjing.

And you can bring in, or take out whatever you want from USA, or Canada - not sure about other countries. You just have to report it... They want to make sure you're not laundering money.

I cross into the us often with 20-30k, they ask why it's for... And if it doesnt sound suspicious, no further questions. I believe once I was asked where I got the cash from and they asked to see a bank statement to prove it was mine.

Same with the business I work for - we do 50-100k a year in purchases from USA.... Never an issue. I don't think China has issues with business's spending money overseas?

But, there is no limit to USA / Canada, they will lnever stop a legit transaction - the 10k thing is just a reporting thing to prevent money laundering.
Just don't get pulled over with that much cash in many states in the US. All the cop has to say is that they thought it was going to be used to buy drugs and they can take it.

mfatty500

Cement workers are on my short list of people to never screw with. Most of them have scarred up hands the size of my head. I'd rather get hit in the face with a shovel than those gigantic mits.
That's good, now I know you won't mess with me, LOL! The calluses have been gone for while now, but most of us are a little crazy, but just big teddy bears, in the end, nothing a few dozen beers at the end of the day to smooth things over, no pun intended.