• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Your website?

Locals Find!

A domain name can be put into question like what happened in Wheelers case. If the company can prove they were an Established Legal Business/Organization Prior to the person/company purchasing the domain name.

For example www.VW.com used to be owned by a guy selling aftermarket vehicle accessories for a Volkswagen bugs.

Volkswagen sued that he was infringing on their established brand. VW won the case.

In the case of Wheeler he may have stolen (inadvertently) another established companies identity unknowingly. If they were established prior to his purchasing the domain name and were in a similar business prior. They have the rights to the domain name. Now if they sold shoes and not sign products. The case would have been tossed. Since, wheeler wouldn't have been infringing on their rights.

I wouldn't have given up without getting a decision from the courts though myself.

The exception to this rule is family names. For example my father used to own EdwardWJones.com and was sued by Edward W Jones investments. The courts found that since it was his name legal name he didn't infringe on their rights. He chose to give it up willing for consideration in the matter.

Just because, you believe its a law doesn't make it a law. Hope, this helps many of you better understand the law behind domain names.

iSign

and just because you think you know the law doesn't mean you actually do...

...maybe you know what you thought the law was, at one time, in one state... but speaking like you "know the law" usually does one of two things... it either puts other unsuspecting listeners at risk.. or in the case of adults, it simply tarnishes your reputation for further discussion :omg:

I don't doubt your stories to be true... I just question the sweeping deductions or assumptions you arrive at...

Locals Find!

and just because you think you know the law doesn't mean you actually do...

...maybe you know what you thought the law was, at one time, in one state... but speaking like you "know the law" usually does one of two things... it either puts other unsuspecting listeners at risk.. or in the case of adults, it simply tarnishes your reputation for further discussion :omg:

I don't doubt your stories to be true... I just question the sweeping deductions or assumptions you arrive at...

Interesting ISign in the case of my post concerning VW.com I can say that was a Federal Case. It was brought to my attention simply because my father was running the Registar that sold the Gentleman the domain name in question. As I have been helping him run the business since 1997 we have made it a point to stay current on a laws concerning domain name registration including International Treaties, Federal and State laws.

In order to protect our interests, and income.

BALLPARK

Here is our current work in progress...lol.

www.ballparksigns.com

We are getting ready for another upgrade that will include an online store option and design center.

I would suggest to hire a professional to help get your site up fast. Otherwise, it can take months to get it looking sharp. We are still trying to fix ours..lol.

Jim Doggett

For example www.VW.com used to be owned by a guy selling aftermarket vehicle accessories for a Volkswagen bugs.

Volkswagen sued that he was infringing on their established brand. VW won the case.

Trademark law is pretty-much driven by consumer protection, not business / profits protection. The VW thing is pretty clear, since the parts dealer was in no was infringing VW. But a case could easily be made that consumers could be confused, since one would reasonably think that the vw.com address takes you to the VW company.

But nothing in the sign industry is likely to be so cut and dried, nor represented with the money for attorneys that VW has.

stoneandtle

It really is not the greatest at all but I'm no website designer or pretend to be, also used a supplied web builder..that said

Customers have liked it because of the beach pictured, then my pictures with few words and the before and after pictures .. the rest really could be improved. http://www.592sign.com

I know this thread of about domains, but I just looked at this site and noticed you use low-tack vinyl for outdoor advertising - could you pm me with the vinyl you used? That looks interesting.

RebeckaR

WDP - you have a big ol' typo, or grammatical error right there on your front page that you need to change.
It's says "What their saying" and it should read "What they're saying".

pgettys

www.Wewrapitall.com just published it for testing not promoting it yet
on our gallery we have 2 boat pictures of wraps that is not ours but i needed an image holder and used them for examples,just so everyone knows.
we had a drive fail and we are trying to get our back up from our IT company now for 1 terabyte and it's taking forever.

we still have alot of work to do on the website but it is a start

AREA 51 Wraps
Paul

wmshuman

What's the best program to use? I designed several sites for my customers, but thus far I've only used Godaddy's Website Tonite. I'm learning Concrete5, Wix seems pretty good, and Flux5 is looking very promising at $99. I have not tried out DreamWeaver, WordPress or Joomla. What do you guys use?

Joomla can be a little advanced. Dreamweaver is pretty much a point and click. Word Press is blogging software.

Last edited:
W

wetgravy

I have 2 really. Both need an overhaul, but that is a job for January or Feb when jobs die down.

My graphic design stuff ussually flows through Wetgravy Designs ... though admittedly untouched still gets pretty good hits for a stagnant site and is easy to modify without a CMS ... I also integrated Meebo into a live support chat for the site.

Pretty much everything else goes through AtomicAxe.com since I do so much fine art and illustration work that it's crazy. (pay is also A LOT better too for less work and better customers) I pretty much also made a mini "blog" by coding out a twitter feed to hide any links and to load via javascript ... haven't updated it in eons though ... 80 hour weeks kills idle posting.

And Google analytics is almost needed for any site. Make sure you code it into any site you have so you can track what pages are viewed the most, where everyone who visits your site is located, how long they stick on the site and where they come from.

W

wetgravy

I have bought a bunch of sites from godaddy. Do i need to host them on godaddy to use wordpress? I'm new to websites and would really appreciate
some guidance.

Thanks in advance

You need a host that can support mysql or just pay wordpress to host your domain.