• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Manual hole punch/PVC?

Jillbeans

I need to get two holes into the tops of 4 small 3mm expanded PVC signs.
Rather than drilling them and potentially really ruining things, can I just use the hole maker from a DIY grommet kit?
(far left in sample pic)
I don't have anything to test on so I was wondering if anyone's ever tried this. I do this in coro quite easily.
:thankyou:
Love....Jill

Attachments

• G1260-2.jpg
    G1260-2.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 193

dwt

In this situation I would use the drill. Worried you might crack the substrait.

Gene@mpls

You really need to invest (for the future) in a set of these hand held punches- Harbor Freight has them cheap (plenty good enough for light
duty stuff). Gene

Attachments

• R_W punch 3.10.jpg
    R_W punch 3.10.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 204

Jillbeans

Looks like a trip to Harbor Freight is in order.
I hate to go there because I always buy extra stuff!
There is a Primanti's nearby though.
Thanks for the info.

Billct2

Yea, those hand punches are handy for lots of little jobs and don't leave burrs in aluminum.

Last edited:

signmeup

I'd be scared pvc would crack....especially if I only had one shot at it without doing a test. I can tell you that it drills fine. If you hit it with one of those hollow punches I'm 99% sure it will crack if you're anywhere close to an edge.

Jillbeans

They dropped off the rest of my cut off sheet yesterday
(it was accidentally left in the van and I was too busy to follow up)
So I do have some test scraps available now.
I am going to HF later today, and if I can find my drill I think I will try all three methods.
My son used my drill and I haven't seen it in 6 months or more, and I am incredibly dangerous with a drill.
If I buy a new one it will disappear too, a hole puncher will be easier to hide.
I also hide an air nozzle for his compressor.
I'm thinking the holes will be about 1" down from the top, maybe 6-8" apart.
I was going to take the finished signs over to the place who punches holes in aluminum for me but have not had time to make them any more cookies this week and I promised them some at Christmas.

Mainframe

Hey jill, I put grommets in that stuff all the time with the set up you are asking about, I have had no problems.
Bill

Jillbeans

OK back from Harbor Freight.
I bought both the hollow punch set for $5.99 and the Deep Throat punch for $24.00.
Yes, I only bought it because of the name.
It did not come with a needed allen wrench which I discovered after getting home.
The other one mentioned on this thread was on sale for $17.99 but it didn't make big enough holes.
Of course, some chick was horning in on the punch area when I was trying to look at them, probably the only person who has for the past 6 months.
:doh:
But the Deep Throat was obviously the best choice.
The grommet punch left a bruise, the hollow punch was better but not much.
The .22 shot was just for fun. Never did find my drill.
:thankyou::signs101:

Attachments

• punch.jpg
    punch.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 161
  • sample.jpg
    sample.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 158

Fitch

Jill, drilling is easy.

All you need to do is "sandwich" the acrylic between say mdf, and drill away. BUT !!! a pilot hole will always help, AND do not apply any pressure. Let the drill do the work. Basically, just "rest" the drill and pull the trigger. It will be a lot slower than usual, but will be very clean and no breaks.

Cheers - G