• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mural Museum Logo

Joe Diaz

Looks great, Joe. :rock-n-roll:

Question for ya....... any way you could get a fitch in there ?? Possibly even a fan ??

If you can't add them, maybe ya could substitute them for the dagger and one of the quills.

Very Nice Joe! I'm surprised not to see any more traditional Wall Dog brushes used

The reason for going with all the different types of brushes is because, even though the emphasis will be on murals and walldogs, we wanted to not limit ourselves to just one part of hand painted signage... especially at the beginning of this project. We plan on displaying everything from pinstriping panels to fine art. I think we will have an easier time gathering work and exhibits to start us off by casting a wider net, and this is why we chose to include "& Sign Art" in the title.

That being said the brushes aren't set in stone. They might be removed or replaced.

Please share how you decided on "& SIGN ART" both in placement and font.

Like I stated above. We included "& Sign Art" in the title so that we can have more flexibility on what we display in the museum, but we plan on focusing on the mural aspect of our trade. So I chose to downplay some of the text on the logo... making the main message stand out more.

It is obvious that the name of the museum is long. It was decided by committee. :omg: I truly believe every word is important but in order to make this logo effective I wanted to make "Mural Museum" be the focus because I'm guessing that is what people will call it in conversation, rather than "International Walldog Mur........."

The font decision for "& Sign Art" was made because I needed something that would read well when shrunken down. For example, we plan on having this design printed on brushes that people can buy as souvenirs. Also, my dad will be hand lettering this design on the window of the building, and because that text will be smaller, it had to be a style that was realistic for him to hand paint.

But yeah this was a tricky logo. There was just sooo many elements at play here. Normally, I would try to talk a customer out of doing a logo with so much info in it. But in this case I thought everything that we decided to include was important enough that it belongs in the design.

Thanks for the comments everyone!

Jane Diaz

We didn't want it to be one specific person, and even though the design was kind of based on a photo of Bill because we had a bunch of photos of him to work from (at the right angle, at the right placement) we tried to make it vague enough that it wasn't TOO obvious who it was. And we flipped the photo in honor of my brother. He was an oldtime signpainter that a few of you have met at some of our mini meets but he died unexpectedly a couple years ago. He was mainly a lefty but I have seen him start a line of copy with his left hand and finish it with his right! Sadly we didn't have any photos of him painting that we could work from. But he's the one in OUR vision of the painter. I miss him.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Sorry to hear about that, Jane. I'm sure he's missed by many. This certainly must make you proud that you can do this small part in his name.

Please let us know the status of this new museum so maybe we can come see and look around.

Joe Diaz

Ok, here it is in color:
mural_museum_color.jpg

Todd-sta

Now we're talkin'..... stunningly good looking design.

Have you ever used the 'split' font effect you show here before..... I like that - how did you decide upon that, by experimentation or by intent? Way cool.... and the colors are dynamic.

Joe Diaz

Now we're talkin'..... stunningly good looking design.

Have you ever used the 'split' font effect you show here before..... I like that - how did you decide upon that, by experimentation or by intent? Way cool.... and the colors are dynamic.

Yes, I have done it a few times before. But this is my first time also incorporating a prismatic effect to a split lettering style thought. I think it turned out pretty neat. Here is a close up:
mural_museum_CU.jpg

The prismatic is all in vector too, rather than a photoshop effect. In fact, every thing on this logo is 100% vector. Here is the prism effect with-in the powerclipped shape:
mural_museum_PC.jpg

I guess I had pictured doing something similar to this in the color version even when I was designing every thing in black and white.

Here are the steps I took to get to the final project:
mural_museum_steps1.jpg
mural_museum_steps2.jpg

The font I started with for the main copy is actually Amerigo. :Big Laugh

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
This is really well executed from start to finish.
If you wanted some critique the one thing you might want to do is put some more work into the figure.
The level of detail and style is not quite up to the rest of the layout.
I think Joe Q public would never notice but the audience you are playing to lives for details like that.

Thanks for posting up the process.

wayne k
guam usa