• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

My first wrap

TheSellOut

It's so gorgeous that I just had an orgasm when I saw it.

+1...Now I have to go change my pants, dang nab it...oh well it was soo worth it!

Jill, you are too funny!

For every one person here who feels threatened by Dan's well-intended advice, and is compelled to come back with the old "customer is always right" defense, there are 100 others here who read and learn, and better their output. When Dan talks, I listen.
Thanks Dan.

+100!

Stevo

Every layout, whether its a no parking sign or a wrap should have the copy prioritized correctly.
This "wrap", with the exception of the circle, could pass for just a cut vynull job. It is quite dull and boring to look at.

Stevo

Custom_Grafx

One of those sexy door handles or windows/doors from the site or even the peacock/rhino or Labrador would have added some beauty/colour to the project to enhance it further.

Looks like a nice clean job though and if the customer is happy that's a great first wrap!

Tim Kingston

To be fair, I don't think it was the original poster who was, shall we say "gruff" in their reply. In fact, I thought they were quite polite and thankful in response.
I believe the critique on the design was valid, however if the customer wanted that logo and this design then you are quite restricted.

Having said that, here is my two cents. I think bringing the logo down on the back door, if possible, so it would "top" align with the logos on the side panels would help. Also, I'm not a big fan on centered alignment, I'd try a hard right alignment for the main text or align to a path that follow the curve of the circle.

It's hard to tell from the photo but using the same background that they have on their website( various subtle shades of blue ) instead of the solid blue would work well ( perhaps you did this)?

Finally, I think you did a great job matching up the panels, there is no color variation between panels or individual letters. Good job, especially for your first one! Tim

shakey0818

It's so gorgeous that I just had an orgasm when I saw it.
I think I'll go look at it again.
Love....Jill
PS
For every one person here who feels threatened by Dan's well-intended advice, and is compelled to come back with the old "customer is always right" defense, there are 100 others here who read and learn, and better their output. When Dan talks, I listen.
Thanks Dan.

Now that i goitta see:goodpost:

iSign

To be fair, I don't think it was the original poster who was, shall we say "gruff" in their reply. In fact, I thought they were quite polite and thankful in response...

...Finally, I think you did a great job matching up the panels, there is no color variation between panels or individual letters. Good job, especially for your first one! Tim

:goodpost: gotta agree here too... this IS well executed for a first wrap, even if it "could be better"
...which, as we all know is true of almost everything anybody does...

...in fact even our best work SHOULD be looked at for how it could be better... that's what life is about, besides that stuff after the work day that I've heard people talk about (or during, if you're Jill :smile:)

I didn't think the OP was gruff, BUT, he also used the "custy is always right" as a deflection, which may have helped him justify in his own mind to NOT consider the alternatives & suggestions offered.. he didn't come back & say "yeah, I tried to sell them on those ideas for those reasons" ...which says to me, he did NOT try to sell them... which is fine too... if it's his first wrap, he may be new to sales as well... but, hopefully he did not deflect the advice so well that it failed to leave an impression for his second wrap...

...WE are the professionals, and prioritizing copy, or improving overall effectiveness of any visual marketing is OUR job, and our custy is not expected to be as good as we are at that job... they also won't always listen to good advice... BUT, if we know we at least offered it, then we did our best..

...and how do we offer that good advice to our client? ...well that was another lesson Dan just gave us... we would do it just like he did...

Tim Kingston

...WE are the professionals, and prioritizing copy, or improving overall effectiveness of any visual marketing is OUR job, and our custy is not expected to be as good as we are at that job... they also won't always listen to good advice... BUT, if we know we at least offered it, then we did our best..

...and how do we offer that good advice to our client? ...well that was another lesson Dan just gave us... we would do it just like he did...

Fair enough, well said. Tim

iSign

obviously didn't spend much time on this, AND I WOULD ADD THEIR NAME SOMEWHERE NEAR THE TOP TOO... but I followed Dan's link to their website, liked custom grafx's peacock suggestion too, and thought this "Spring Special" was an interesting "Call to Action"... except for the obvious time sensitivity of it... but if it worked like it should, maybe an annual contract for updates would be in order... or devising a call to action that isn't time sensitive...

box_wrap2.jpg

Salmoneye

The design above would be considered illegal in my city. You can only list general descriptions of your business and services but no prices, sales or promotions. Ugh!

Flame

The design above would be considered illegal in my city. You can only list general descriptions of your business and services but no prices, sales or promotions. Ugh!

You serious??? Call me a noob but I haven't heard of that one before....

Salmoneye

New sign ordinance in AMA Texas. You also have to move it every 24 hours I believe or a wrap is to considered a permanent sign. I have not challenged them on U-Haul trucks listing their $19.99 in town crap yet.

zibby

To Isign:
Well done. But the only thing is they wanted to keep this wrap for long period of time . That would be good idea for short promotion.
What they have asked for was something that they can keep for few years.
I guess it worked well because I'm going to be doing more wraps for the same company and at the end this is what you want. You want them to come back.
Everyone has different ideas and there are a lot of different ways how to design or how to do layouts.
These are all great comments and I will keep them in mind when I do my next wrap.
Thanks

iSign

To Isign:
Well done. But the only thing is they wanted to keep this wrap for long period of time . That would be good idea for short promotion.
What they have asked for was something that they can keep for few years...

...These are all great comments and I will keep them in mind when I do my next wrap.

glad to hear it Zibby... clearly I didn't ever think for a minute that my 10 minute goof off, with no client contact was going to have any real world application...

just like when these threads turn into general discussion about "possibilities" ...and not just a string of atta-boy's ...even though it was a nice looking first wrap...

Dan Antonelli

Thank you-----

I just wanted to thank and acknowledge those that posted positive comments on my behalf. I really appreciated your support and kind words. I've since spoken to Zibby to just ensure that there was no misunderstanding on my intentions or my critique.

As it relates the term 'Supergraphics' - this a term coined in mid 80's by some sign painters who made great use of van's to help brand the company they were advertising. SignCraft published many articles on their work, and I spent a long time studying the articles, and they've certainly left a lasting impression some 25 years later.

I view the point of vehicle advertising as two fold; the first is to reinforce the brand identity of the business, and secondly, to reinforce the brand messaging. Often we see wraps that perhaps miss on one or both points; usually because of layout issues, and a failure to prioritize and balance copy.

For our work, brand integration is really the most important part of the design. And in general, we often try to employ techniques to connote more of fleet look for our small businesses so that the perception is a larger, more stable company - with many trucks - even if they only have one or two vans. Many wrap designs really don't employ that philosophy. It's certainly not a rule that every wrap needs to conform to, but in general, for our clients, it's an approach we advocate strongly.

For those of you who are not SignCraft subscribers, I'm attaching my last months article which focuses on Supergraphics, and gives some tips on helping to make your wrap designs more effective.

If I get a few minutes I want to try to quickly rework this layout. I like what iSign was going with it.

Anyway, thank you again to those who posted on my behalf.

Attachments

• 177 Antonelli with new images.pdf
    171.7 KB · Views: 89

Salmoneye

The customer is not always right but the customer is always the customer. Asked for or not we always give out two cents, if they teeter we give em the full .o4, if they reject it and throw it on the ground we pick it up and put it in our pocket (because we are cheap like that) and give them what they ask for. I will make what I am paid for but 99% of the time I am able to give them constructive advise that they listen to.

Mosh

I didn't even read all that...good job. A box truck is a great thing to start with, they are pretty straight forward and easy to do. GOOD JOB!!! Layout is fine, but I don't know what I am getting 50% off of. Like I said I didn't even read what the Experts think is wrong....You got paid right? That is what matters, wait did the check clear??????