• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New Logo For Customer

wildside

i think the name is entirely too small, the saw blade and wenches are fine, but should be scaled waaaaaaay back, focus on the name first afterall thats what people are reading, the way it is now, i would think they sale saw blades and wrenches

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Gino if what you say is true, Ive been doing it all wrong. Many times I have looked at a picture of something and drew it, then scanned that in and vectored to be used on a sign. Id say almost everyone here has done that. There is nothing wrong with that. The ability to draw from life doesnt come that easy either. Those that can do it make use of it. Drawing from scratch is a whole different thing. Using no reference material at all is hard for anyone. If he drew the tools shown in his logo by merely looking at them, he did a good job. Even tracing them they look good. I really dont see what all the hoopla is about. His logo looks okay, but I agree with the advice that the wording is hid and should be shown. Other than that, I think its a pretty good stab at it.

I think you and some others missed my point. I'm not saying you can only do art from scratch. As I said, I'll trace and copy things myself, but to say one created this or that and is not copying it from anywhere is I think false as he has now admitted. That's all I was getting at. I truly despise someone taking credit for someone else's efforts.

For someone to say they have all this down pat and can't see varying light sources, several types of shadowing, let alone different styles within the same piece.... how can you offer up help to someone who will give you back-pedaling responses ?? They don't want to be helped. In school, you are focusing on very young and impressionable minds and you need to help.... help.... help. With an adult, you need to work with someone who will be honest with you... or move on to the next person. It doesn't take long to see who is hiding something vs. someone who is totally trying. Like I said, I don't like fakers.

My beginnings was as a fine arts teacher of post-secondary and/or college or university level. Obviously, I didn't follow that direction, mainly because of lack of funding, but had an outlet in sign painting which seemed to probably pay better. Besides, I was young and didn't do anything I was supposed to do. I did all the pictorials for the places I worked. In the 70's, during the van mural craze, I freelanced quite a bit of mural work for several van shops. As for Motorguy here.... he needs help, but for some reason, wants us to help him under false pretenses.

Sometimes we all can help and sometimes we can miss the boat and yet sometimes we can error in character. Perhaps, I've erred with Motorguy, but as time unravels, he seems to admit these things.

Let's get one thing straight with the members here.... I'm no way saying we have to have a bunch of honest credentials and everyone pony up who, what and where they are, but in the same breath, we don't have to like each other in order to help each other. We don't have to agree with views on business, politics, or anything else. However, I do think it's necessary to be honest with each other, so we can all help each other. Afterall, if I can't trust the person I'm helping and they tend to get in their own way..... why would I want to help that certain someone ??

For someone to tell me not to read their posts or answer them is in my opinion more selfish than my not helping until. My answers or someone else with the same mindset, will be helping many other readers.... and future readers to come, down the road.

So, it all comes back to, are we helping this person to draw, since he said he knows how or are we helping him with layout, balance and design. There IS... truly a difference.

Even the best will let out an element from time to time, but they'll admit it and thank you for another set of eyes critiquing it, but not this guy. He just goes on claiming he knows better, but still makes all the fundamental mistakes over and over again.

SignManiac

Here's a simplified design using your concept. I don't know if you need so many elements in the design. Keep it simple. Name should stand out more than the tools.

Attachments

• Extreme.jpg
    Extreme.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 107

MotorCityMan

I think you and some others missed my point. I'm not saying you can only do art from scratch. As I said, I'll trace and copy things myself, but to say one created this or that and is not copying it from anywhere is I think false as he has now admitted. That's all I was getting at. I truly despise someone taking credit for someone else's efforts.

For someone to say they have all this down pat and can't see varying light sources, several types of shadowing, let alone different styles within the same piece.... how can you offer up help to someone who will give you back-pedaling responses ?? They don't want to be helped. In school, you are focusing on very young and impressionable minds and you need to help.... help.... help. With an adult, you need to work with someone who will be honest with you... or move on to the next person. It doesn't take long to see who is hiding something vs. someone who is totally trying. Like I said, I don't like fakers.

My beginnings was as a fine arts teacher of post-secondary and/or college or university level. Obviously, I didn't follow that direction, mainly because of lack of funding, but had an outlet in sign painting which seemed to probably pay better. Besides, I was young and didn't do anything I was supposed to do. I did all the pictorials for the places I worked. In the 70's, during the van mural craze, I freelanced quite a bit of mural work for several van shops. As for Motorguy here.... he needs help, but for some reason, wants us to help him under false pretenses.

Sometimes we all can help and sometimes we can miss the boat and yet sometimes we can error in character. Perhaps, I've erred with Motorguy, but as time unravels, he seems to admit these things.

Let's get one thing straight with the members here.... I'm no way saying we have to have a bunch of honest credentials and everyone pony up who, what and where they are, but in the same breath, we don't have to like each other in order to help each other. We don't have to agree with views on business, politics, or anything else. However, I do think it's necessary to be honest with each other, so we can all help each other. Afterall, if I can't trust the person I'm helping and they tend to get in their own way..... why would I want to help that certain someone ??

For someone to tell me not to read their posts or answer them is in my opinion more selfish than my not helping until. My answers or someone else with the same mindset, will be helping many other readers.... and future readers to come, down the road.

So, it all comes back to, are we helping this person to draw, since he said he knows how or are we helping him with layout, balance and design. There IS... truly a difference.

Even the best will let out an element from time to time, but they'll admit it and thank you for another set of eyes critiquing it, but not this guy. He just goes on claiming he knows better, but still makes all the fundamental mistakes over and over again.

Where have I been claiming to know better? I have thanked everyone repeatedly . I have not lied about anything, I have formally apologized for my first post. I have sent private apologies to some. I'm not sure what you think I'm copying. I'm sorry you don't like me , but I think your making a lot of assumptions that aren't true. I am new to SIGN making like I have said , my background is in drafting, which is drawing. To draw a new part for manufacturing to exact scale and tolerance does take talent, it does not use shadows or light sources. Drawing like that is something I have not done in a long time, and I'm remembering and learning it again. I'm not comparing myself to anyone here, but I do know how to draw, design, etc. but there are other things in this world that require drawing and design that are not signs. Such as blueprints. Do you know how to lay out blueprints to scale using all the right terms and symbols, I doubt it. Could you learn? Of course. But it takes time. Even being a great artist is not always enough if you don't understand the format. And it would be a lot easier if I did not have someone constantly judging my character for everything I post. the name is MotorCityMan not Motorguy, putting my name wrong is just being childish and I would like you to stop. If your going to accuse me, please show some proof. If I'm copying someone I will admit it, stop doing it, and start over.

MotorCityMan

Here's a simplified design using your concept. I don't know if you need so many elements in the design. Keep it simple. Name should stand out more than the tools.

Very cool thank you. I was told that you should always make a logo that can be done in black and white, so I have avoided gradients and shaded highlight. Is that true?

qmr55

Very cool thank you. I was told that you should always make a logo that can be done in black and white, so I have avoided gradients and shaded highlight. Is that true?

You should always base your design off a black and white sketch, but just because of that doesn't mean you can't use gradients, shadows, and shading!

MotorCityMan

You should always base your design off a black and white sketch, but just because of that doesn't mean you can't use gradients, shadows, and shading!

thank you , it does make it look better

Attachments

• text766ftgvt4.jpg
    text766ftgvt4.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 93

Jillbeans

I'd lose the LLC and also thin down the heavy outline on the services.
Wrenches still look backwards to me.
:)
Kerning could use some tweaking.

SignManiac

On this last version of yours, try to avoid using the italicized font on an arch. It affects the rhythm and you already have a lot of conflicting angles going on.

rjssigns

Like the second one better. Secondary copy isn't covered up, and the logo is clean and bold. We have done work vans in the past and sometimes use the "belt line" area for secondary copy. Our shop is also brutally sparse with copy.

In this era of instant communication it is a proven fact that attentions spans are rapidly decreasing. We always tell the clients it is imperative to get the message across in seconds.

Deaton Design

On this last version of yours, try to avoid using the italicized font on an arch. It affects the rhythm and you already have a lot of conflicting angles going on.
+1
And the outline on those same words is too thick. Thin it down some. About half of what it is.:thumb:
Also, after Jill said to reverse the wrenches, can you do that and post it here to compare? Id like to see them side by side to compare.

MotorCityMan

+1
And the outline on those same words is too thick. Thin it down some. About half of what it is.:thumb:
Also, after Jill said to reverse the wrenches, can you do that and post it here to compare? Id like to see them side by side to compare.

here ya go

Attachments

• g498x21 copy.jpg
    g498x21 copy.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 104

ForgeInc

I think it's good you are asking advice and keep tweaking.That said, I think you should take advice with a grain of salt for not much experience doing graphics or logos you're doing well. So THAT said, i think you were a lot closer in your versions on post 39. Your latest ones look way too bottom heavy for me, and I wouldn't add in the services with their own separate shape. I would just extent the gray banner a bit thicker and put the services under the other type, in a slightly different typeface, what you have might work fine.

Also, maybe vary your line thicknesses a bit, so everything isn't the same. I took about 15 minutes to show ya what I mean, with just a few more tweaks I think you could have something fairly solid. Also, you don't have to be so literal with your drawings. I think your saw blade would look a lot better if it were much simpler, make the teeth formed out of 3-4 lines max...might not be how they ACTUALLY look but remember, you are going for simplicity with logos.

Attachments

• example.jpg
    example.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 103

wildside

Ladies and Gentleman, we have a winner! Cut her a check and move on to the next one!

i don't know about that......

i think the wrenches need to go, and if they have to stay, facing them in makes them look very odd to me

this concept could work, but needs to rethink the size and space of the elements, it just don't look anything more than begineer

ProWraps

logo looks better.

name of company is still completely idiotic.

Attachments

• extreme.jpg
    extreme.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 98

S'N'S

Forges tweaks look good, maybe even close the wrenches up a smidgen more and don't face them towards each other, looks crap.

Dave Drane

Here's a quick suggestion.

Jill, this is the "signwriter" in you and not the "Graphic Designer" that always makes so much sense here. I think it is time that signs were just that and not a lot of special effects because pushing computer buttons will do the trick in making a million dollar logo and sign that nobody can read. I must take a photo of a sign that recently went up near me that has every possible photoshop effect in it that could be possibly squeezed into it. When I went to trade school in 1965 the first things we were taught that a "sign" had to have negative space with the proper use of color and styles (not fonts) and had to be set up in order of importance as to legibility. You Jill, think exactly the way I do except I think you do it much better without the knowledge I was lucky enough to get and not exploit to the hilt.:thumb: