• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

what does FPO mean???

Marlene

1. The stroke around the text signs is FPO

I got this message from a "designer" and don't know what it means. I looked in our on site list of terms and didn't find it. All I can think of is that it means "for production only" but am unsure. help me not look like an idiot so I can reply like I know what I am doing:Big Laugh

skyhigh

The stroke around the text signs is FPO

I'm going to defer to Mike's definition in this instance..... althought i have seen FPO used as "for print only", it wouldn't make a whole lot of sense.

Marlene

either works for me as it means the line doesn't really exist. thanks for the replies. I really hate it when I see something like this have don't know what it means. so glad I have all of you to ask rather than the customer!

Tim Aucoin

"For Position Only"

+1 on this. We use that term in the printing industry all the time on proofs. When we are showing proofs with any kind of graphic/image, we always send with a low resolution image and say it's "for position only", so they, firstly, realize that even though it looks like crap in the proof, it will print better, and secondly, so they don't take a high res proof and go elsewhere to get the printing done!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
And to think I always thought people meant F***ing P!ssed Off and stopped doing business with them. :doh:

10sacer

For Position Only

Prepress 101

Has to do with the old days of CT/Lw workflow - (Continuous Tone/Line Work)

The early RIPs would make a low res preview that you would place in your layout program and then swap them out for the high res once RIPped for final print. It kept the file sizes from getting huge before we had the computers and processors we do now.

It also meant that the designer might be altering the photo or content in that specific area and there was more info or changes to come and therefor not to print that specific content as a final layout. It was generally just there to help finish the layout for sizing purposes and then they would find a final photo/image to fit that spacing.

Nowadays - you can just put what you don't want to print on a non-print layer and just leave it there.

signswi

For Position Only
Nowadays - you can just put what you don't want to print on a non-print layer and just leave it there.

You'll still want to tag it FPO though, even if that's what you name the layer, so that some poor prepress schmuck doesn't make it printable thinking you made an error.

GypsyGraphics

with very comping image used, i add FPO "For Placement Only" to the beginning of the file name. this severs several purposes, let's me know the client has not approved that particular image yet, the image is likely a low resolution for comping purposes, probably still RGB and that i still need to purchase the high res version.

in the collect for output, when i review the image files, FPO serves as a nice big red flag!

eye4color

"For Position Only". Back in the day when your transparencies were out at the Service Bureau for drum scanning, the layout artist would insert a low res image into a layout and mark it FPO. This would let everyone know that a higher resolution replacement was in the works. This would also prevent the costly mistake of running film seps prematurely! If I ran 4 color seps on an ad that had an image marked as FPO, it was my mistake and I had to eat the film.

Now days, most graphic artists work with high res images straight from a place like istockphoto.com and "FPO" pops up with less and less frequency.