• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What is the best chemical for removing vinyl and glue?

decalman

I do a lot of vinyl removal, and I presently use mineral spirits and sometimes - Vinyl off.
I use lacquer thinner for real stubborn baked on vinyl on fiberglass. Never on paint of course. I know there are better products out there. I would be interested to know.

Thanks for sharing.

Techman

Rapid Remover from Rapid TAc is the best.

All others take two three tries to remove all the snot. Rapid Remover is one try in most cases.
Yes there are a hundred other opinion on what to use. But in reality which one works the fastest? Which one takes one pass of juice.

We as a group of vinyl jockies tested both app juice and remover a few years ago.

Goo gone and other clones all took three or more tries to get all the snot removed.
Mineral spirits still had to be washed off..

It was determined that Rapdi REmover was the fastest and most economical in the end.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Another vote for Rapid Remover. Failing that, most any orange peel solvent will work better than turpentine, mineral sprints, and anything else..

Billct2

Not all adhesive residue is created equally so we have a variety of removers, first choice is an adhesive remover we get from the Auto Paint supply house. Sometimes other stuff works better. Then a final wipe with alcohol.

Jillbeans

Rapid Remover has always worked the best for me.
I once tried Goof-Off and it started to remove the paint on the vehicle.
Love...Jill

MikePro

NEVER use Goo-Off brand adhesive remover.
destroys plastic, most recently confirmed by wiping down a sheet of polycarbonate... which dissolved/spider-web'd within minutes.
(one of our install guys was out in the field without remover & ran to local walmart to see what he could find)

Baz

Rapid Remover!

Why?

Because i don't want to spend any second longer than i have to cleaning up that crappy mess ...

Andy D

NEVER use Goo-Off brand adhesive remover.
destroys plastic, most recently confirmed by wiping down a sheet of polycarbonate... which dissolved/spider-web'd within minutes.
(one of our install guys was out in the field without remover & ran to local walmart to see what he could find)

A good backup for removing adhesive, when in a bind, is WD-40

Brink

LOL This thread just won't quit being new. I'll chime in...

A hammer with a good sharp chisel? JK:wink:

nashvillesigns

Making America great, one sign at a time.
removal of adhesive and old vinyl?

this.

Attachments

• 10571192.jpg
    10571192.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 116

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
The title says vinyl & glue.
The only product mentioned that removes both is Vinyl Off.
(maybe Rapid Remover does but it is not listed on the product page)

Vinyl Off has worked for me when removing baked/ cracked vinyl (180c both printed/lam'd & unprinted solid colors) off fuel tankers.
You have to follow the instructions or it doesn't do anything. I thought it was crap the first time I tried it......
When used right it works like paint stripper, the vinyl gets rubbery - curls up & comes off with a plastic scraper and very little effort.
Seemed like it worked ok on the glue left behind but the selling point was getting the vinyl out of the way - worked much faster than the steamer we normally use.

wayne k
guam usa