• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

People who are jealous of you

S

scarface

Hey everyone, Now i am nowhere near as successful as anyone on here but i have MANY people who are jealous of my success so far.

The reason i know this is because i get on a social networking site and a friend tells me "Look what so and so posted about you" so i give it a look and a big group of locals is starting a anti-my company organization.

The reason behind it from what i could read is because i brag about making good money (haha!) compared to their status i guess.

I never thought i really bragged but i buy my vehicles with cash and am in zero debt since all my machines are paid off so i guess people get offended cause they don't any anything but debt?

From a business standpoint i need to stay calm and let it fly but man it's hard to sit back and be bashed for something so childish.

For the representation photo on the organization they took a personal photo from my profile so i guess i may be able to get them for infringement and hopefully shut it down?

It's more embarrassing to myself and my company than anything else since they are saying very nasty things.

*sigh* what to do, what to do

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Quote:
"The reason i know this is because i get on a social networking site"

Stay off these types of sites (except signs101) - problem solved.

wayne k
guam usa

tomence

Let me tell you something man, you should not give a f&^k about anyone that says things about you. If you just let it go and don't aknowledge it that will make those people more jealous. You are in business for yourself and you are the one building your own business not them. Everyone has rights to say things but if you just let it go that will make you more happier. I had stay away from my closest friends even relatives they are the ones that will try to put you down. So just do your thing and make more signs and whatever else you do and grow your bank account. In this world and time there is no true friends anymore.

S

scarface

Let me tell you something man, you should not give a f&^k about anyone that says things about you. If you just let it go and don't aknowledge it that will make those people more jealous. You are in business for yourself and you are the one building your own business not them. Everyone has rights to say things but if you just let it go that will make you more happier. I had stay away from my closest friends even relatives they are the ones that will try to put you down. So just do your thing and make more signs and whatever else you do and grow your bank account. In this world and time there is no true friends anymore.

Isn't that the truth! Well said!

iSign

Maybe they are not jealous.

Maybe that is just an adjective that makes you feel better about the situation...

...but when people bash your business in public, that is not a good situation... so feeling better about it may be less important then understanding it & possibly taking steps to correct it...

if you pay cash for an automobile, why do WE know about that? why do THEY know about that?? that is personal... it is irrelevant... and it's none of anyone's damn business!!

...besides that, it isn't automatically a good thing, or a better arrangement then some other choice...

Same deal with your level of debt. You say you have none. Why tell us? Why do these other people know this? Obviously you think highly of that situation, and you have let others know about it. You didn't think it was, or is bragging, but you consider it a good thing, and you seem to have gotten the word out about that... for some reason...

Debt is a tool! And it's a tool you can do amazing thing with, if you are not afraid of it.

Anyone can choose a debt free life & some will accumulate more wealth then others...

...but do not operate under the false impression that a debt free path is somehow a superior path to wealth or success. Right now I get the impression that you do think so, and you have managed to give that impression to others... and it's not working out so well for you!

Also, don't overlook the possibility that a little damage control is in order. We certainly don't have enough information to give specific advice... but the advice of "don't worry about it" may not be such great advice.

Social media is a very powerful tool... you don't want that tool working against you, without at least making an effort to "make lemonaid" as they say...

iSign

Scar, first I want you to know why I reply to a lot of your posts... I think you are a good example of someone who puts good advice to use, and we get to see you grow, so I offer advice because I don't think it will be wasted like with some of the strangers we see once or twice & never again... and the other reason is you are on later then a lot of folks... and the time zone here has me on when it's kinda slow... so, anyway don't take my comments wrong... i'm offering help because i think my opinions have some merit, some of the time, for some people... not just to bust your chops...

but anyway, I wrote above that debt is a tool... and that paying cash for things is not always better then taking on debt. As I wrote that I thought of that thread where you were concerned about keeping your printer, because it wasn't making money right away & you were discovering other costs associated with owning it, like creating a safe environment for dealing with toxic fumes...

Im not cheaping out at all, after all i did buy my machine with basically cash (cashiers check) but to get a industrial building or store front really is not in the books and i don't see it doing so anytime in the next few years.

On the other issues, I really have nowhere else to put this machine. Hell im thinking of even selling it now because if it's such a big deal i don't want to get sick because of it.

I just looked at it as a opportunity to expand myself after being screwed over with outsourcing prints...

...Hell for when i do get up to printing alot the money will be there and i have no problem getting a actual building for my printer but until then i cannot afford it. Literally cannot afford it.

so, do you see what I mean? sure, debt means you have interest expenses (which are often tax deductible, by the way) ..and eliminating an expense can be good... but at what cost? If you can't afford to run your equipment safely, and you have to choose between selling the printer (presumably at a loss) or cutting corners on safety...

...maybe a little interest expense to retain some cash solvency would have been a better choice... OR, even the comment about getting screwed over on outsourcing prints.. well, maybe they were just allowing for the costs of properly running a printer, which you were not yet aware of..

so anyway, debt can help you succeed...

ask almost any successful business owner if they built their business by taking on debt... I would be very very surprised if the vast majority didn't reply in the affirmative.

andy

No one really cares about your debt free life or your fantastic wads of cash... I know I don't. If I was really bothered I'd ask you... I'm not so I haven't. Despite this you have broadcast this information, again.... why?

Why do you feel the need to tell anyone who will listen how all your machinery is bought and paid for and how you have zero debt? This is the biggest recession since the 1930's.... a lot of people have been screwed over by the banks and the collapse in the economy. If you'd just lost all your machinery, your car and your house would you appreciate the bloke next door waving a huge wad of bills under your nose as the repo man nails up the last piece of plywood covering what used to be your front door? Clearly not.

In business the BIGGEST element to success is LUCK... and luck is a fickle mistress. If you've got it smile and be thankful.

Joe Diaz

I have found that generally people don't want to hear about how successful YOU are, they want to know how you can help make THEM successful.

gabagoo

Hey Scar, as was said.... ef em all. Ignore it and keep your business to yourself. I know your a young guy so social networking is a must.

As to buying things with cash in full. I know from past experiences that it is not always a good idea from an accounting point of view to pay things off in one payment as machinery and vehicles need to be amortized. Due to the amortization over a period of years what happens is that you can only write off X amount of the purchase each year which leaves you technically in a higher tax bracket.
I used to freak on my accountant every year end as to why is there such a high profit and I cant get my hands on it, and it was because I had not enough expenses!!! go figure. I then decided to lease an expensive car to lower my profits. lol

SignManiac

"Less is more". The less people know about my personal business, the more happy I am they don't!

The only business I want people knowing about my business is that I'm good at what I do, and have a good reputation, period. That's all they need to know.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
I have found that generally people don't want to hear about how successful YOU are, they want to know how you can help make THEM successful.

Yep. Our local "marketing expert" who does the whole package (signs, shirts, etc...) doesn't seem to mind telling us how great he is. If someone spends an hour with him, I guarantee you that 45 minutes of that time centers around his own accomplishments and interests. Maybe that's why he's currently operating under his third business name in the past six years. There's nothing like a little re-branding to keep your image fresh.

"Less is more". The less people know about my personal business, the more happy I am they don't!

The only business I want people knowing about my business is that I'm good at what I do, and have a good reputation, period. That's all they need to know.

'Nuf said...next topic, please.

JB

UFB Fabrication

Some may look at buying things on cash as not having the ability to obtain credit. Unless you just bought the new Maybach with custom made luggage I am not impressed. Your banker will not likely be impressed either.

Tim Aucoin

i brag about making good money (haha!) compared to their status i guess.

*sigh* what to do, what to do
STOP BRAGGING.... Problem solved!

Don't make everything about "you" in conversation. Show interest in other people's lives, problems and issues and don't brag about how easy your own life is in comparison. You're young... and you'll learn as the years go by! From chatting with you in the past, I truly believe you're a decent guy with a great heart... just don't put yourself high on a pedestal... it's a long way to fall!